Will SP work with a Mophie Battery case or Samsung Wireless battery case?

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Was looking into one of these cases for my S7 and Note 7 but use Samsung Pay all the time and would be a pain if I had to take my phone out of the case every time.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It should but like you 'd expect it'll be a diminished range. Shouldn't have to take it out, however, as long as the terminal isn't locked away under extra layers of acrylic.

zuko33

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I had the same question. I contacted Mophie and they replied
"Thank you for contacting Mophie, At this time the case may interefere with the NFC feature on the device. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions."

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's their 'canned response' since pretty much Wireless Chargers and contact payments/transfers became popular. They can't ensure that it'll work with all chargers/devices, so they just claim that it MAY interfere and that covers all their bases. Proof of that is that you asked about Samsung Pay and they responded about the NFC chip, which is SP's backup payment method; it uses MST first (that's what makes the use on regular credit card terminals possible).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, not sure if they're designed for it or not, but I've seen battery packs that let NFC go through, and the S7 Edge one (the wireless charging pack) lets both SP and NFC work, but they do so with a diminished range. Wireless charging is far more sensitive to added distance or bulk between the transmitter and the receptor coil, though, so that's why you'll see that feature fail a lot more with simple plastic cases that are too thick. NFC and SP's MST are a bit more powerful and can work even with those 'obstacles', even if not as easily.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
When the Mophie case is available for the Note 7 I'll pick one up and give a try. I guess at this point I won't really know unless I try it for myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678