Amazon App Store sux?

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else think the amazon app store sux?
I installed it yesterday, I have noticed some of there apps they are charging for are free in the market, it doesnt sink with you currently installed apps
I didnt like the idea that I had to setup a credit card for payment type even if I only intend to get free apps from there. They only except a credit card, no paypal or google check out.

Does this annoy anyone else or is it just me?
Ken

bkasting

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I already have an Amazon account, so the credit card issue doesn't bother me personally. But if this is all you plan to use Amazon for, I can see where it might annoy you. But look at it from their perspective---they are hoping you will actually buy apps from them, not just getting the free one. So, they do want you to have an account with them.

I'm not sure how the phones keep track of apps installed. If it is in the Marketplace itself or in the Android operating system. If the former, then I can see why Amazon wouldn't sync with the Marketplace. They are competitors for your business.

Anyway, I haven't used the Amazon store much--but what I've seen, I like.

alostpacket

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how the phones keep track of apps installed. If it is in the Marketplace itself or in the Android operating system. If the former, then I can see why Amazon wouldn't sync with the Marketplace.

It's a bit of both.

The OS keeps track of apps by what's called their package name (which is sort of a reverse website domain name)

for example the package name for my app listables is:

com.alostpacket.listables

Now, if I had that available in both markets either of them should (keyword should) be able to sync and update the apps.

However if a dev has a different package name for different markets... say for example

com.alostpacket.listables.amazon

and

com.alostpacket.listables.google

Then the apps wont be able to sync. There are also other hurdles to syncing but that's probably the most common one.

Reactions: bkasting

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
They do have some apps for cheaper than the market though.

Competition is a wonderful thing. In a little while, we'll see more competition between the markets and enjoy the benefits.

bkasting

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Competing App Stores

It's a bit of both.

The OS keeps track of apps by what's called their package name (which is sort of a reverse website domain name)

Then the apps wont be able to sync. There are also other hurdles to syncing but that's probably the most common one.

Very nice explanation. I had no idea of how it worked. Thanks!

tekhinator

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I already had an account with them so it was no biggie. Plus the free app of the day thing they are doing is extremely useful and convenient. I was planning to buy SwiftKeyboard but yesterday it was the free app of the day. I was really excited and pleased by that.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else think the amazon app store sux?
I installed it yesterday, I have noticed some of there apps they are charging for are free in the market, it doesnt sink with you currently installed apps
I didnt like the idea that I had to setup a credit card for payment type even if I only intend to get free apps from there. They only except a credit card, no paypal or google check out.

Does this annoy anyone else or is it just me?
Ken

It is a nice app but I am 'annoyed' that they don't list the security permissions before you purchase the app. I am not going to buy apps with undisclosed permissions.

Can you name one app that is free in the Market (not a limited time 'sale') and is not free on Amazon? Kind of sounds strange so it will be nice to see a proof.

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
It is a nice app but I am 'annoyed' that they don't list the security permissions before you purchase the app. I am not going to buy apps with undisclosed permissions.

Can you name one app that is free in the Market (not a limited time 'sale') and is not free on Amazon? Kind of sounds strange so it will be nice to see a proof.

one of the angry birds was a pay on amazon, they have always been free in the market

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01