02-25-2010 06:10 PM
57 123
tools
    To cap a a letter you slide your finger above the keyboard. It does take some getting used to but they have a nice tutorial that helps with some functions.
    yeah, that tutorial is VERY good
    02-20-2010 12:51 PM
    I'm just happy we have so many options! If you don't like something, there is a very good chance someone designed an app to replace it. So happy I switched from BB.
    02-20-2010 12:54 PM
    I'm just happy we have so many options! If you don't like something, there is a very good chance someone designed an app to replace it. So happy I switched from BB.
    amen brother.
    02-20-2010 12:56 PM
    I'm not familiar with better keyboard other than it's extremely skinnable - please explain what the advantages are.

I use Swype, but I'm not in crazy about it. I think I could get used to slideit - mainly for the super cool availablity of shortcuts. -- that's kinda like the auto text functionality in blackberry (which is one the ONLY things i miss from bb)

so, why should I try better keyboard?

I just edited my original post, I meant smart keyboard. It's multitouch capable and I seem to be more accurate and faster on it. Maybe it's just mind over matter. Give it a try.
    02-20-2010 12:58 PM
    I just edited my original post, I meant smart keyboard. It's multitouch capable and I seem to be more accurate and faster on it. Maybe it's just mind over matter. Give it a try.
    what does "multitouch capable" mean, interms of keyboards? slide like on swype or slideit?
    02-20-2010 01:01 PM
    I just downloaded smart keyboard - I got the free version, will this be a fair test? Are there basic functions disabled on free?
    02-20-2010 01:03 PM
    what does "multitouch capable" mean, interms of keyboards? slide like on swype or slideit?
    This is a direct reference to typing speed, it is so before you even finish pressing your first letter, your phone can begin adding the next letter. Think about the stock keyboard. you can only press with one thumb at a time so if you're a speed freak when it comes to typing virtually in landscape, you'll notice that your making a lot of mistakes due to software failure even if you're a perfect typer. so all multi-touch does is speed up how fast you type.
    02-20-2010 01:07 PM
    Let's give this puppy a shot.

Typin on smartvkeyboard.... Ok, not a swiping keyboard. Looks pretty. I like the gesture to pull up symbols. Auto capitalization sems to work well. Let's check the dictonary. Downloaded, wasn't, shortcuts, (I'm liking this) antidisestablishmentarism, dioxiribonuclaicacid, sweeet. We may have a winner here.
    02-20-2010 01:12 PM
    This is a direct reference to typing speed, it is so before you even finish pressing your first letter, your phone can begin adding the next letter. Think about the stock keyboard. you can only press with one thumb at a time so if you're a speed freak when it comes to typing virtually in landscape, you'll notice that your making a lot of mistakes due to software failure even if you're a perfect typer. so all multi-touch does is speed up how fast you type.
    ok, THAT'S why it was so good. I really like it... great thread.

I would have never checked out smart keyboard before this thread and I may have found a new keyboard -- thanks
    02-20-2010 01:15 PM
    Well from what I understand in cases where the the keypresses almost overlap when typing fast, being multitouch is supposed to help as both letters should register rather than one or the other.
    02-20-2010 01:23 PM
    I take it you guys just bought & tested with the full version of Smart Keyboard ? It doesn't look like the free version offers word prediction.
    02-20-2010 01:26 PM
    No I'm still using the free version.
    02-20-2010 01:29 PM
    I'm using the free one (for about half an hour).

I actually don't like word prediction as much as auto-correct. I hate when it tries to "guess" what I'm saying rather than just correcting obvious misspellings.
    02-20-2010 01:36 PM
    I bought the full version of Smart Keyboard, and I love it. Although the autocorrect isn't as good as stock, and it seems to pull from a different dictionary (my "user defined" words sometimes crop up, and sometimes don't, on random), I find I am more accurate on it, and can type a teeny bit faster. It was worth the 2 euros, in my opinion.

It also (don't know if this was mentioned before) offers autocorrect for the hard keyboard. That right there is worth $2.50 alone.
    02-20-2010 01:36 PM
    It also (don't know if this was mentioned before) offers autocorrect for the keyboard. That right there is worth $2.50 alone.
    Indeed it is. Just bought it. Thanks
    02-20-2010 01:46 PM
    Yeah I've been using it for a while and probably should just buy it and support the dev. Same with Dolphin Browser. The latest 2.5 is excellent and I feel guilty not giving something for it.
    02-20-2010 01:50 PM
    Indeed it is. Just bought it. Thanks
    Haha no problem. I found it by accident, but it is awesome. Makes me use my hardware keyboard a lot more, since I don't have to backspace to correct for mistakes.
    02-20-2010 02:03 PM
    I've tried a few but allways go back to the stock keyboard.
    02-20-2010 02:07 PM
    Swype. If that's not an option then the stock is next best.
    02-20-2010 04:47 PM
    Do any of these products offer arrows for cursor control? I desperately need a way to move the cursor without using the screen tap approach. I just cannot tap precisely to use this approach effectively. I am about to go back to BB is I cannot find a solution.
    02-21-2010 10:51 AM
    Do any of these products offer arrows for cursor control? I desperately need a way to move the cursor without using the screen tap approach. I just cannot tap precisely to use this approach effectively. I am about to go back to BB is I cannot find a solution.
    I do not use arrow/cursor control, but I believe that Swype and SlideIT might have it.
    02-21-2010 11:36 AM
    My favorites are Swype and Talk to Me Keyboard. I wish I could combine the two!
    02-21-2010 12:37 PM
    I use Swype but my second choice is Talk to Me Keyboard. I wish Swype had voice input too!
    02-21-2010 12:41 PM
    Unfortunately I can't seem to find arrows on any of them This is a show stopper for me. Unless something magically appears by tomorrow morning, I am done with my Droid. Going back to Blackberry. How in the world a device can be rolled out w/ this many keyboards and none have arrows is beyond me. Very disappointing. I loved the device otherwise, but I cannot go without being able to type into it.
    02-21-2010 01:00 PM
    I really like acontacts. While it is not a keyboard replacement, it has a t9 style keypad you use to search through your contacts, or just dial the number direct on the same screen. Otherwise, I have tried many different keyboards on the market, and still like the stock one. It is the fastest for me.
    02-21-2010 01:43 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD