Favorite Android Virtual Keyboard...

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
lol @prometheus... :) you're right, none of those words you mentioned above are in the dictionary, but overall 99% of the words I typed were in there, and if they aren't you can add them pretty easily. In fact I just typed this entire post with it and didn't run into a single snag.

As far as the resolution, the only thing I can think of is that it was designed for lower resolution devices, and that the final release will have high res options, because yes it does look bad.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I used swype for a while but it was missing auto-capitalization features and for short messages it didn't seem much better. Also it's a total pain with punctuation IMO. So I tried a few of the others and settled on better keyboard. So far it seems to be best for me.

Edit: I said better but I meant smart keyboard.

Last edited:

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I used swype for a while but it was missing auto-capitalization features and for short messages it didn't seem much better. Also it's a total pain with punctuation IMO. So I tried a few of the others and settled on better keyboard. So far it seems to be best for me.

To cap a a letter you slide your finger above the keyboard. It does take some getting used to but they have a nice tutorial that helps with some functions.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

I'm not familiar with better keyboard other than it's extremely skinnable - please explain what the advantages are.

I use Swype, but I'm not in crazy about it. I think I could get used to slideit - mainly for the super cool availablity of shortcuts. -- that's kinda like the auto text functionality in blackberry (which is one the ONLY things I miss from bb)

So, why should I try better keyboard?

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm just happy we have so many options! If you don't like something, there is a very good chance someone designed an app to replace it. So happy I switched from BB.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm not familiar with better keyboard other than it's extremely skinnable - please explain what the advantages are.

I use Swype, but I'm not in crazy about it. I think I could get used to slideit - mainly for the super cool availablity of shortcuts. -- that's kinda like the auto text functionality in blackberry (which is one the ONLY things i miss from bb)

so, why should I try better keyboard?

I just edited my original post, I meant smart keyboard. It's multitouch capable and I seem to be more accurate and faster on it. Maybe it's just mind over matter. Give it a try.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I just edited my original post, I meant smart keyboard. It's multitouch capable and I seem to be more accurate and faster on it. Maybe it's just mind over matter. Give it a try.

what does "multitouch capable" mean, interms of keyboards? slide like on swype or slideit?

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
what does "multitouch capable" mean, interms of keyboards? slide like on swype or slideit?
This is a direct reference to typing speed, it is so before you even finish pressing your first letter, your phone can begin adding the next letter. Think about the stock keyboard. you can only press with one thumb at a time so if you're a speed freak when it comes to typing virtually in landscape, you'll notice that your making a lot of mistakes due to software failure even if you're a perfect typer. so all multi-touch does is speed up how fast you type.

Last edited:

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Let's give this puppy a shot.

Typin on smartvkeyboard.... Ok, not a swiping keyboard. Looks pretty. I like the gesture to pull up symbols. Auto capitalization sems to work well. Let's check the dictonary. Downloaded, wasn't, shortcuts, (I'm liking this) antidisestablishmentarism, dioxiribonuclaicacid, sweeet. We may have a winner here.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
This is a direct reference to typing speed, it is so before you even finish pressing your first letter, your phone can begin adding the next letter. Think about the stock keyboard. you can only press with one thumb at a time so if you're a speed freak when it comes to typing virtually in landscape, you'll notice that your making a lot of mistakes due to software failure even if you're a perfect typer. so all multi-touch does is speed up how fast you type.

ok, THAT'S why it was so good. I really like it... great thread.

I would have never checked out smart keyboard before this thread and I may have found a new keyboard -- thanks

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site

Well from what I understand in cases where the the keypresses almost overlap when typing fast, being multitouch is supposed to help as both letters should register rather than one or the other.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I take it you guys just bought & tested with the full version of Smart Keyboard ? It doesn't look like the free version offers word prediction.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the free one (for about half an hour).

I actually don't like word prediction as much as auto-correct. I hate when it tries to "guess" what I'm saying rather than just correcting obvious misspellings.

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I bought the full version of Smart Keyboard, and I love it. Although the autocorrect isn't as good as stock, and it seems to pull from a different dictionary (my "user defined" words sometimes crop up, and sometimes don't, on random), I find I am more accurate on it, and can type a teeny bit faster. It was worth the 2 euros, in my opinion.

It also (don't know if this was mentioned before) offers autocorrect for the hard keyboard. That right there is worth $2.50 alone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech