Google Allo - SMS Messaging

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks,

I have something that I just can't wrap my head around.

The whole fuss right now is that the new Allo app doesn't support SMS Messaging as well.
Which, it absolutely should!

So riddle me this, (explain it to me like I am 5)

Whenever I downloaded Allo on the first day here in Canada, and I went to start a new chat, it displayed my contact list.

It seems to be broken up in two groups. The first group which seems to be people, you can just chat with right off the bat. The second being people you invite to the App. Which defaults to sending them a text message with the link to the Play Store.

Simple enough right....

So when I went to start a new chat with one of my contacts, it displayed that there seemed to be over a dozen people I could chat with. Which seemed weird, because most of my contacts aren't very tech savy. I had a hard time believing that they had downloaded the App before me.

Carrying on, I sent one of my buddies a message and we had a conversation, blah blah blah.
Then today, when I saw him in person, got to talking, and I mentioned how he beat me to the punch with Allo. He said he hadn't installed it yet. Then showed me his Play Store and it wasn't. He does the messaging through his normal text message app.
This is what I can only assume is happening with a few of the others that I have been messaging.

So anyways, how is this possible? Is this not considered some kind of SMS support? Sure when people text me, it defaults to my SMS app and not Allo, but why is this happening here?

Side note: Allo is actually half decent. It will never get popular if people don't try it.

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Weird?! I've just asked a buddy in chatting to confirm he is using allo.

You're right though, it's a nice app but almost everyone I know it's on what's app and i can't see them changing over 😯

richard dillon1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
ea958d4b7f49d43f9e37e0ef6c940810.jpg

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey folks,

I have something that I just can't wrap my head around.

The whole fuss right now is that the new Allo app doesn't support SMS Messaging as well.
Which, it absolutely should!

So riddle me this, (explain it to me like I am 5)

Whenever I downloaded Allo on the first day here in Canada, and I went to start a new chat, it displayed my contact list.

It seems to be broken up in two groups. The first group which seems to be people, you can just chat with right off the bat. The second being people you invite to the App. Which defaults to sending them a text message with the link to the Play Store.

Simple enough right....

So when I went to start a new chat with one of my contacts, it displayed that there seemed to be over a dozen people I could chat with. Which seemed weird, because most of my contacts aren't very tech savy. I had a hard time believing that they had downloaded the App before me.

Carrying on, I sent one of my buddies a message and we had a conversation, blah blah blah.
Then today, when I saw him in person, got to talking, and I mentioned how he beat me to the punch with Allo. He said he hadn't installed it yet. Then showed me his Play Store and it wasn't. He does the messaging through his normal text message app.
This is what I can only assume is happening with a few of the others that I have been messaging.

So anyways, how is this possible? Is this not considered some kind of SMS support? Sure when people text me, it defaults to my SMS app and not Allo, but why is this happening here?

Side note: Allo is actually half decent. It will never get popular if people don't try it.

It's possible because of Google Play Services.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams