Amazon Market - App of the Day - Likes / Dislikes

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Soundhound Infinity - 3/30
Fruit Ninja 3/31

I have been using the new Amazon Appstore since launch day which was last week. My pre-launch thoughts were why Amazon? I mean every Android phone already has a decent market via Google. Not to mention other app stores already available.

The Appstore is pretty easy to use and has many of the features found in the Market like the rating system, user reviews, and similar apps. The biggest things Amazon is offering are the free paid app of the day, a trial system longer than 15 minutes, and save for later.

The free paid app is a no brainer for the user and is the best reason to consider Amazons Appstore. So far they have had Angry Birds Rio & Seasons (ad-free), Doodle Jump, Diner Dash 2, Farm Frenzy, Shazam Encore, World Series of Poker, SwiftKey, and Soundhound Infinity. That's not a bad first week of apps. The biggest questions for me is will they keep doing this if the Appstore gets big and at what point do the free popular selling apps like SwiftKey stop showing up as freebies (I look at Amazon mp3s daily freebie and don't really remember ever seeing a top 20 charted song).

Save for later is something I couldn't believe was never in the Market. It is a feature I will use for sure.

I have not tried the trial period program yet but from my understanding you can download the app to your computer to try before you buy. I am not sure if it also works on your phone or tablet.
_________
Dislikes:
So far I have come across a couple things I would like to see changed.
1) I downloaded Springpad to try out. I uninstalled it and the program remains in my applications tab with an install button. In Google Market they go away, which I prefer greatly. *update* I was reading on Amazon.com > Appstore > Your Apps > how to, for the Appstore and it says you can remove an app from your list by selecting it and checking a box to remove from your my apps list. Only problem now is I can't find the box they are talking about, maybe it's a soon to be released feature.
1a) With Springpad installed again via the Amazon Appstore it's on version 3.1.1, I was just notified version 3.1.2 is available but I was notified by the Google Market. The update is not yet available through Amazon but I am very curious as to why the app is showing in the Google Market.

2) I downloaded Doodle Jump (which I already had purchased through Google Market to see what would happen) and the app downloads and then tries to install over the Google Market version which is expected. I canceled the over write and the app sits in my applications tab with an update button. In the Google Market the app would state purchased, remain in the my apps tab but would not prompt for updates.

3) One of the free paid apps of the day Farm Frenzy force closes my Amazon Appstore when trying to install. I sent this to Amazon and waiting for a response. One thing I should note is I downloaded the app but didn't try to install it until a few days later.

4) Apparently Farm Frenzy is asking for more phone access/permissions then the Google Market version asks for (this is from reading the reviews). I have not looked at this cause I can't seem to install Farm Frenzy (plus I don't have this game through Google Market) but if true I wonder how many apps this is the case for and why.

5) All of the apps found in the Google Market are not available (yet). I searched for some popular free apps and got no results. With Amazon not having access to the same apps it would be hard to look at Amazon first. Maybe you get lucky and get a discount (SwiftKey is cheaper at Amazon than Google) or find your app to be the free app of the day but if they can't get the apps that Google has I just wonder how long people will continue to look at Amazon as a viable option.

6) No easy uninstall method. You have to remove the app the same way you would remove a side loaded app.

Last edited:

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Add do dislike: does not show program permissions before purchase/download. This has two roles, a) allow the user to make an inform decision and b) discourage developers for asking for excessive permissions.

robdec17

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Add do dislike: does not show program permissions before purchase/download. This has two roles, a) allow the user to make an inform decision and b) discourage developers for asking for excessive permissions.

Sure it does. Scroll down to technical details

Technical Details
Size: 2.7MB
Version: 2.5.335
Developed By: AWS Convergence Technologies Inc
Application Permissions: (Help me understand what permissions mean)
Read only access to phone state.
Receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting.
Write to external storage.
Open network sockets.
Read the low-level system log files.
Access fine (e.g., GPS) location.
Access the vibration feature.
Access coarse (e.g., Cell-ID, WiFi) location.
Record audio.
Access information about networks.
PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.
Modify global audio settings.
Minimum Operating System: Android 1.5
Approximate Download Time: Less than 30 seconds

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I love the free app of the day. When I first heard about this I thought they would just be crappy apps that no one has ever heard of, guess I was wrong!

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Sure it does. Scroll down to technical details

Where do you find it?

I am looking for example on Angry Birds Seasons Free (in the Amazon app on my phone).

If I expand the Product Description section I get a page with a long description and at the bottom Technical Data: version, file size and developer name.

Where is are the technical details with the permission list?

DroidyMcDroid

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
free apps are great, but why did amazon get an app store in the first place? just for the sake of competition with the android marketplace?

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
free apps are great, but why did amazon get an app store in the first place? just for the sake of competition with the android marketplace?
To make money. What other reason do they need? :)

Amazon sells all kinds of products and services online. If there's money to be made in the Android Apps industry, then why not? And if they can make customers happy at the same time, all the better.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if they're doing this with RIO because it will be paid starting tomorrow or something.

Yeah I am wondering the same thing. I was certainly surprised to see it as the free app again. I guess we now know that it is a possibility to have a free app repeated.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Picsay Probably 4/6

I can't tell you how many times I almost bought this. Really liking the free apps on Amazon.com.

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am a lil mad I missed X Construction for free. The lite version is fun but does not give stats. Oh well...

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
pro tip: Install the free app every day and then just uninstall it. If you discover you wish you had it later on you can re-download it for free whenever.

Wish I had done this for the PicSay app as it looked goofy to me, but now I hear it's actually a pretty deep photo app. :(

PewPew2 is actually pretty cool with the "story mode" only crashes every so often.

Very happy with Flight Control and actually WeatherBug Elite does what I need it to do i.e. give me the weather.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
pro tip: Install the free app every day and then just uninstall it. If you discover you wish you had it later on you can re-download it for free whenever.

Wish I had done this for the PicSay app as it looked goofy to me, but now I hear it's actually a pretty deep photo app. :(

PewPew2 is actually pretty cool with the "story mode" only crashes every so often.

Very happy with Flight Control and actually WeatherBug Elite does what I need it to do i.e. give me the weather.

I just tap cancel when it asks to install. I still get to redownload it for free.
Swiftkey is pretty awesome. I got it from Amazon for free a week ago and only installed it last night.

Jim Ahrman

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I saved off the PicSay apk file if you want me to upload it. Anything that I'm semi-interested in, i have to download and sideload anyway... but if you want me to upload it I can.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci