Google Maps not locating me. Messing up Moto Assist... Need Help.

Ben Slowen

May 26, 2015
Visit site
So this is an odd one...

Just yesterday, my Moto Assist no longer detected that I was at Home, and no longer read my texts/calls to me. Moto Assist relies on Google Maps to detect where I am, and when features should be activated. When I checked Maps, it showed that I was half a mile away from home, and I couldn't seem to re-calibrate it to get it to recognize where I really was.

When driving around, the blue dot doesn't follow my location at all. If I have turn-by-turn directions on, the map can follow my path after re-calibrating and detecting my location. But if you back out of turn-by turn, and just leave it on the regular map again, Google Maps can no longer track me. If I use Waze, the car is tracked perfectly fine, and can detect my home location.

I don't know what is going on here and how to fix it. I need the Moto Assist feature to work again, and that relies on Google Maps working correctly. Why has it suddenly stopped detecting my location accurately?

I've tried resetting the GPS with an app, cleared cache and data from Maps, turned phone on/off, GPS on/off... Not sure what else I can do, because it seems to to be an app-specific problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! (Sorry, if this was long. Just trying to be thorough).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So this is an odd one...

Just yesterday, my Moto Assist no longer detected that I was at Home, and no longer read my texts/calls to me. Moto Assist relies on Google Maps to detect where I am, and when features should be activated. When I checked Maps, it showed that I was half a mile away from home, and I couldn't seem to re-calibrate it to get it to recognize where I really was.

When driving around, the blue dot doesn't follow my location at all. If I have turn-by-turn directions on, the map can follow my path after re-calibrating and detecting my location. But if you back out of turn-by turn, and just leave it on the regular map again, Google Maps can no longer track me. If I use Waze, the car is tracked perfectly fine, and can detect my home location.

I don't know what is going on here and how to fix it. I need the Moto Assist feature to work again, and that relies on Google Maps working correctly. Why has it suddenly stopped detecting my location accurately?

I've tried resetting the GPS with an app, cleared cache and data from Maps, turned phone on/off, GPS on/off... Not sure what else I can do, because it seems to to be an app-specific problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! (Sorry, if this was long. Just trying to be thorough).

Which Moto phone are you using?

Ben Slowen

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Just to add something else, I was trying to use Google Earth, and it too is not locating me correctly on my phone. So none of the Google-related map services are working correctly on my phone. But I tried the same thing on my iPad and another Android phone and they both worked fine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does Maps have permission to access Location? Assuming you're on Marshmallow, go to Settings>Apps, select Maps, then Permissions, and see if Location is turned on.

Ben Slowen

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does Maps have permission to access Location? Assuming you're on Marshmallow, go to Settings>Apps, select Maps, then Permissions, and see if Location is turned on.

My phone is currently on Lollipop (5.1). I have cheked the permissions, and as far as I can tell, Maps has all permissions turned on, including Location.

It's like some weird glitch that I can't fix. Google Maps and Google Earth can't find me. But Waze, and another Maps app I tried worked perfectly. I got GPS fixing apps that pinpointed my location fine. I'm assuming that the GPS antenna works fine. Tried resetting GPS data too.

Ben Slowen

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Did you also try wiping the system cache partition (which is different from clearing the app cache, and won't erase any personal data)? https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/94946/p/30,6720,8696

I tried this today on your recommendation. There was no change from what I can see. I'm going to try driving with it now to see if it tracks me, but it still hasn't located me inside my house, so I'm guessing its still malfunctioning.