I'm looking for a way to move the photos taken on my phone to my computer (running Ubuntu) and maybe a cloud.

I want it to detect which photos have already been synced so that I don't end up with multiple copies of the same picture on my computer.

It would be great if the process could be automated but I don't mind initiating a manual sync as long as I don't have to go through and try and remember which photos I've already uploaded.

I do have a 2Gb dropbox account which I could use to do manually but it's not big enough to store all my photos. I would prefer not to have to manually move them to my pictures folder on my computer either.

Are there any apps that can achieve this? Perhaps a photo hosting/sharing service?
    Photobucket is a no-go as the app forces close as soon as it opens, not that I'm sure it would do what I want anyway.

I've done a bit of googling on the subject but haven't been able to find what I want.
    04-03-2011 11:38 PM
    You don't seem to want to use Dropbox, but the Dropin app will automatically move photos from your phone to Dropbox. Moving them out of Dropbox to your pictures folder is something you'll still have to do manually. Unless you wrote a script to do it.
    04-04-2011 12:05 AM
    You don't seem to want to use Dropbox, but the Dropin app will automatically move photos from your phone to Dropbox. Moving them out of Dropbox to your pictures folder is something you'll still have to do manually. Unless you wrote a script to do it.
    Thanks, I'm looking at that app now.

It's not so much the act of moving them out of the dropbox that I'm trying to avoid but the fact that I may end up with duplicates of the same photo unless I delete them from my phone once synced.

Do you know if Dropin only syncs recently taken photos/videos or everything on the phone that isn't already in the dropbox?
    04-04-2011 01:46 AM
    i use miq from best buy mobile, its seems to auto sync pics, vids, contacts, sms, call history.. dont know if that is what you are looking for but works out for me..
    04-05-2011 01:05 AM
    i use miq from best buy mobile, its seems to auto sync pics, vids, contacts, sms, call history.. dont know if that is what you are looking for but works out for me..
    Possibly though I can't find it in the market.

Is something that only comes pre-installed?
    04-05-2011 09:46 PM
    Is there an app that will automatically upload photos as they're taken to some image hosting/photo sharing site?
    A site that will allow me to easily download those photos a group at a later date?
    04-05-2011 10:19 PM
    I'm currently trying to find a solution as well. I also want a solution that works on Linux. Preferably on all major platforms.

I'm currently testing out SpiderOak. It's a cloud based service very similar to Dropbox. The biggest difference is there are a lot of more options. You can have it auto sync folders like dropbox, backup folders, etc. The client is very powerful. Also their pricing seems reasonable (much more so then Dropbox).

They have an Android app but it's only for viewing and downloading. I'm hoping they'll release one that will allow you to upload or sync soon.

I currently upload my photos using Dropbox on my phone, my desktop syncs them to my Dropbox folder and SpiderOak syncs it to my SpiderOak storage. It's a bit of a hack but working for now while I try to track down a better solution. It doesn't do the "Auto syncing" you're looking for though.

(PS. if you decide to try SpiderOak PM me and I'll send you a referral link. We'll both get 1GB storage free from the referral).

I've also considered setting up web hosting and using an open source web based photo management suite. Then I could either find an app or write an app to sync files using FTP. Here's the web based solution I'm considering, Gallery.

Now that I have a son, syncing photos and keeping track of them has become much more of a priority.
    04-06-2011 09:18 AM
    Is there an app that will automatically upload photos as they're taken to some image hosting/photo sharing site?
    A site that will allow me to easily download those photos a group at a later date?
    Titanium Media Sync - Read this article. I just read it today and I think I'm going to try it.

Maximum PC | Android App Spotlight: Titanium Media Sync
    bjordan likes this.
    04-06-2011 12:17 PM
    Titanium Media Sync - Read this article. I just read it today and I think I'm going to try it.

Oh wow I have no idea how I missed this. Thanks for the heads up.
    04-06-2011 01:35 PM

For the OP, this sounds like a good solution IF he either doesn't remove photos from his cloud's (Dropbox's) folder OR doesn't manually do the Dropbox to Android mobile sync, otherwise photos would either get recopied to Dropbox of photos would be deleted from his phone.

Read the comments about this app, there appear to be some gotchas, but I think it's not so much the app as the whole concept of Dropbox 2-way syncing or lac thereof. Also, it sounds like it will only run continuously in the background - not sure if it was built correctly as to not waste battery.

Ideally, there would be an app/service that would allow for a continuous or manual upload of ONLY the latest photos/media. It would simply record the last time it synced, then find all media that was newer, sync that, then reset the last sync time. Then you could delete photos from your phone or cloud and not have to worry about recopying or losing photos on your phone.
    04-06-2011 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD