05-05-2011 12:55 PM
63 123
tools
    So when I tried to do it, it said that it would charge me $20 to do it. Wha? I'm with sprint, did anybody else get this as well.
    04-13-2011 09:17 PM
    Can anybody confirm that you do not lose your GV number if you choose Option #1? I want to try this out, but I would hate to throw my GV number away, as I give it out to a different group of folks (small business again).
    You will lose your google voice number after 90 days. Google gives you 90 days to decide if you want to keep your sprint number and google number linked, before deleting your google number. During this 90 day period, calls to your google voice account will still work.

If, however, you decide to keep your google number (not your sprint number), you can always re-activate your sprint number for free at any time you choose to stop using google voice.
    04-14-2011 07:47 AM
    So when I tried to do it, it said that it would charge me $20 to do it. Wha? I'm with sprint, did anybody else get this as well.
    This is still in closed Beta, which is why it didn't work for you. Once it's released, you will be able to sign up when you login to google voice (I got a pop up message). Google makes the sign up process nearly foolproof. If it asks you for money, chances are you don't have access to sprint integration with GVoice yet. Hope this helps
    MonsteRoid and mustbso like this.
    04-14-2011 07:49 AM
    I had the same issue. When calling my GV number my EVO wouldn't ring (from any number). I found something in the help section of GV that said to delete your phone number in GV (mobile device) then re-add it in GV. This worked from me.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the advice. My phone is working now, I think I was just have trouble dialing out from my office, don't think anything was wrong with my phone... not really sure it just happened that one time. The good news is that you never really "miss" a call (even if your phone is off), because google voice will always ring and let you know who called. I love that feature because I turn my phone on airplane mode when I sleep, but I still get a missed call log.
    04-14-2011 07:52 AM
    I can't wait for this to come out of beta. I really need this.
    04-20-2011 08:26 PM
    Thanks for the advice. My phone is working now, I think I was just have trouble dialing out from my office, don't think anything was wrong with my phone... not really sure it just happened that one time. The good news is that you never really "miss" a call (even if your phone is off), because google voice will always ring and let you know who called. I love that feature because I turn my phone on airplane mode when I sleep, but I still get a missed call log.
    Glad it worked - I was getting frustrated with this for days. Being into gadgets and technology I laughed at myself when I found a fix - Not sure why I didn't just look up the issue days ago. It was simple and fixed the frustrating issues I was having.

My Google voice on my Evo is still working so hopefully its a permanent fix!
    04-21-2011 06:47 AM
    Since a few of you seem to be in the beta with the Sprint / Google voice integration, I wondered if you could answer a few questions..

Currently I'm planning on using my Google voice number as my main number and ditching the sprint given number. (I believe that's option 2 currently).

Should I do that:
    1) How are SMS messages handled? Today if someone SMS's to my Google Voice number, google voice takes over and it shows up like a voicemail. This means the Google voice App AND my text message app (Handcent) both get notified. I do not want my Text messages mixed in with my voicemails as it makes it hard to know when I have a true voicemail. Will the same issue happen? (Currently I tell my friends to send texts to my Sprint #, but to call my Google #, which is a PITA).

2) Will the Standard android Voicemail app now read Google Voice messages? or will I still need the Google Voice app installed on the phone to see voicemail? (I want to keep the visual application aspect, not dial #1 or whatnot to listen from a dialer)

3) If a call is made to my Google voice number, and it rings both my Cell and Home lines, and should I pick up on my home line, is it smart enough to NOT charge me minutes or will it charge because it was my number? (Today I don't get charged since Google rings both Sprints # and Home# obviously).

Thanks for any answers you lucky beta people can provide.
    04-21-2011 01:47 PM
    Since a few of you seem to be in the beta with the Sprint / Google voice integration, I wondered if you could answer a few questions..

Currently I'm planning on using my Google voice number as my main number and ditching the sprint given number. (I believe that's option 2 currently).

Should I do that:
    1) How are SMS messages handled? Today if someone SMS's to my Google Voice number, google voice takes over and it shows up like a voicemail. This means the Google voice App AND my text message app (Handcent) both get notified. I do not want my Text messages mixed in with my voicemails as it makes it hard to know when I have a true voicemail. Will the same issue happen? (Currently I tell my friends to send texts to my Sprint #, but to call my Google #, which is a PITA).

2) Will the Standard android Voicemail app now read Google Voice messages? or will I still need the Google Voice app installed on the phone to see voicemail? (I want to keep the visual application aspect, not dial #1 or whatnot to listen from a dialer)

3) If a call is made to my Google voice number, and it rings both my Cell and Home lines, and should I pick up on my home line, is it smart enough to NOT charge me minutes or will it charge because it was my number? (Today I don't get charged since Google rings both Sprints # and Home# obviously).

Thanks for any answers you lucky beta people can provide.
    I just finished setting it up for myself, and I'll try to answer these questions as best I can for you:

1) The way SMS is handled, it goes directly to the phone. AC has a nice write-up of how this all works. I haven't had much SMS at all since setting it up right now, so I can't really offer much on how it works. But you can send/receive messages on you computer through google.com/voice, and it treats it as a chat, which is really neat for low service areas. Texts won't be mixed in with voice messages - they're treated separately. The way I set it up, my gvoice # was changed to my sprint #, so the browser experience of gvoice is essentially an extension of my phone.

2) I'm running a CM7 rom, so standard voicemail app doesn't work to begin with for me. The only way to access voicemail on gingerbread roms is to dial 1 or go to gvoice app. But you do get a notification in the status bar that says when you have a new voicemail. So really not bad at all. I doubt that froyo roms would integrate this deep (pressing the voicemail button in the dialer to bring you to gvoice..)

3) If you're keeping your gvoice # then I assume if a call is made to that (instead of your sprint #) then you will not be charged sprint minutes. But if you set it up like I have, then your sprint # becomes your gvoice #, so no matter which phone/device answers it, you'll be using sprint minutes for the call.

Again, I haven't had too much experience with it yet since I just set it up, but I see it mostly useful for low signal areas - just fire up gvoice in a browser on my laptop and go about business as usual with calls and texts and emails all within gmail window.
    eruji likes this.
    04-22-2011 04:45 PM
    Having a Stock Nexus One, I can assure you there is no such thing as a stock Voicemail App in Gingerbread. Any Voicemail app you have came from your carrier.

GV allows you to redirect all your voice mail to your GV number (even when you keep your sprint number and run your GV number in parallel). This is a standard feature of GSM, and I suspect it works on CDMA as well. It does this for you, or you can do it yourself. Pre Central had some discussion on this.

Google's page here: Google Voice says online voice mail.
    But with the Google Voice App installed that also means on the phone as well, and instant notification of voicemail calls.

The GV app integrates all your voice mails, and GV texts into one place, where they can be archived or deleted or played as you desire. It will play the audio of your voice mail and also give you a pretty good text version (depending on how heavy the callers accent is it can be perfect, or not so much).
    04-22-2011 08:09 PM
    Any non-beta users able to access the integration options yet?
    04-26-2011 06:02 AM
    GV has been a major hassle.

Can someone clarify if GV is enable, you are able to send and receive MMS through the messaging app of your choosing.

The GV app doesn't have this feature for texting...

Thanks in advance for your help...
    04-26-2011 12:30 PM
    Still no Sprint Google Voice.
    04-26-2011 05:31 PM
    GV has been a major hassle.

Can someone clarify if GV is enable, you are able to send and receive MMS through the messaging app of your choosing.

The GV app doesn't have this feature for texting...

Thanks in advance for your help...
    I just got invited yesterday and the mms messages come through using the stock messaging app or whatever you are using, regular sms messages come through google voice.
    04-26-2011 06:50 PM
    I just got invited yesterday and the mms messages come through using the stock messaging app or whatever you are using, regular sms messages come through google voice.
    If you enable text notifications in the google voice app, you'll receive sms's through your messaging app as well.
    04-27-2011 07:40 AM
    Do you know if there's any way you can synchronize texts sent FROM the Google Voice (using your cell number) with your phone's stock SMS app?

I want to be able to have all messages, sent and received, available on both the Google Voice site and the stock SMS app.

Right now, it seems like if I send from my phone, the message appears on the GV page, BUT it does not work vice versa. So if I sent a text from GV, it will not pop up into my stock SMS app.

Anybody know if there's any way around this? I guess I could stick to using the GV app for all of my messaging, but I really don't like how GV handles texts... plus, it requires data to send/receive a text.
    04-27-2011 10:12 AM
    Wasn't this supposed to go live for everybody on April 26th??
    04-27-2011 11:51 AM
    Wasn't this supposed to go live for everybody on April 26th??
    Thats what I thought but it still seems to be by email invite only. Been trying to get my brother set up but its a no go.
    04-27-2011 02:02 PM
    Live for everyone now I think: Sprint, Google Voice tight integration is live (hands on) -- Engadget

If I make my GV number my Sprint number, what happens if/when I want to switch to another carrier? Will I be able to transfer my number to Verizon, for instance? Not that I'm planning on it now, but who knows about a year from now...

I've never even used GV but after reading about it, I'm signing up....just trying to check a couple things I'm a bit confused about.
    04-28-2011 05:00 PM
    Live for everyone now I think: Sprint, Google Voice tight integration is live (hands on) -- Engadget

If I make my GV number my Sprint number, what happens if/when I want to switch to another carrier? Will I be able to transfer my number to Verizon, for instance? Not that I'm planning on it now, but who knows about a year from now...

I've never even used GV but after reading about it, I'm signing up....just trying to check a couple things I'm a bit confused about.
    It's still not open to everyone. I don't think it will be until the Nexus S is released in May.
    04-28-2011 06:01 PM
    I just got in about 2 days ago and I'm loving it. I am a pc gamer so now when I receive calls on my sprint phone I can just answer them through the pc which is so awesome. Sending and receiving texts from my sprint number through the website is also awesome. I dont even have to touch my phone when i'm at home now. I love the way it rings on my pc when i get a call and a popup in the bottom corner comes up while im gaming. Sprint + Google Voice=Winning!
    04-28-2011 06:59 PM
    I've been checking on a daily basis and I still don't have the option to fully integrate my Sprint phone on my GV account. I wonder what happened with the supposed 4/26 live date...
    05-02-2011 10:07 AM
    I still can't port my sprint number over yet... patiently waiting.
    05-02-2011 01:31 PM
    I recently just learned about rooting my phone and getting CM7...Since I lost Sprint Voicemail, I signed up for GV and in the setup it asked if I was a sprint customer and if I wanted to integrate my current number with GV...

So maybe it is something that is only an option for new GV users.. Im not sure just guessing.
    05-02-2011 05:30 PM
    I recently just learned about rooting my phone and getting CM7...Since I lost Sprint Voicemail, I signed up for GV and in the setup it asked if I was a sprint customer and if I wanted to integrate my current number with GV...

So maybe it is something that is only an option for new GV users.. Im not sure just guessing.
    Just checked again after seeing your note and it's available to me now. Wasn't there earlier today when I posted my message.
    05-02-2011 05:46 PM
    I have a quick question, hopefully some one here is able to answer.

With GV set up, i now receive 2 notifications for text messages and VM. Is there away to stop this, as it gets annoying to open 2 separate apps to answer one VM or Text.

Sorry if this has been answered before. I have been searching every where for over 2 hours now, with no answers in sight. please help

Oh, BTW i have a samsung epic with stock 2.2.1 EC05, rooted. Thank you in advance for all the help.
    05-03-2011 12:58 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD