Sprint Integration for Google Voice Active!

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Live for everyone now I think: Sprint, Google Voice tight integration is live (hands on) -- Engadget

If I make my GV number my Sprint number, what happens if/when I want to switch to another carrier? Will I be able to transfer my number to Verizon, for instance? Not that I'm planning on it now, but who knows about a year from now...

I've never even used GV but after reading about it, I'm signing up....just trying to check a couple things I'm a bit confused about.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Live for everyone now I think: Sprint, Google Voice tight integration is live (hands on) -- Engadget

If I make my GV number my Sprint number, what happens if/when I want to switch to another carrier? Will I be able to transfer my number to Verizon, for instance? Not that I'm planning on it now, but who knows about a year from now...

I've never even used GV but after reading about it, I'm signing up....just trying to check a couple things I'm a bit confused about.

It's still not open to everyone. I don't think it will be until the Nexus S is released in May.

LancerzRalliart

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I just got in about 2 days ago and I'm loving it. I am a pc gamer so now when I receive calls on my sprint phone I can just answer them through the pc which is so awesome. Sending and receiving texts from my sprint number through the website is also awesome. I dont even have to touch my phone when i'm at home now. I love the way it rings on my pc when i get a call and a popup in the bottom corner comes up while im gaming. Sprint + Google Voice=Winning!

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I've been checking on a daily basis and I still don't have the option to fully integrate my Sprint phone on my GV account. I wonder what happened with the supposed 4/26 live date...

Elite1085

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I recently just learned about rooting my phone and getting CM7...Since I lost Sprint Voicemail, I signed up for GV and in the setup it asked if I was a sprint customer and if I wanted to integrate my current number with GV...

So maybe it is something that is only an option for new GV users.. Im not sure just guessing.

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I recently just learned about rooting my phone and getting CM7...Since I lost Sprint Voicemail, I signed up for GV and in the setup it asked if I was a sprint customer and if I wanted to integrate my current number with GV...

So maybe it is something that is only an option for new GV users.. Im not sure just guessing.

Just checked again after seeing your note and it's available to me now. Wasn't there earlier today when I posted my message. :)

wolfeman11781

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a quick question, hopefully some one here is able to answer.

With GV set up, i now receive 2 notifications for text messages and VM. Is there away to stop this, as it gets annoying to open 2 separate apps to answer one VM or Text.

Sorry if this has been answered before. I have been searching every where for over 2 hours now, with no answers in sight. please help

Oh, BTW i have a samsung epic with stock 2.2.1 EC05, rooted. Thank you in advance for all the help.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

With GV set up, i now receive 2 notifications for text messages and VM. Is there away to stop this, as it gets annoying to open 2 separate apps to answer one VM or Text.

Sorry if this has been answered before. I have been searching every where for over 2 hours now, with no answers in sight. please help

Oh, BTW i have a samsung epic with stock 2.2.1 EC05, rooted. Thank you in advance for all the help.

I turned off the notifications in the Google Voice app and then went to the website settings and turned on the SMS notification for Voicemail. Until Google updates the Google Voice app to have more robust notification options, that's about all you can do to mitigate the problem.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

Yes, go to google.com/voice and change your notification settings to eliminate voicemail notifications (uncheck all boxes).

Done.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I turned off the notifications in the Google Voice app and then went to the website settings and turned on the SMS notification for Voicemail. Until Google updates the Google Voice app to have more robust notification options, that's about all you can do to mitigate the problem.

Seriously?

What's wrong with the notifications? Mine are instant, without relying on an annoying SMS. Are you running a CDMA phone that can't get data while on a call or something?

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Any word if there is any way to get texts SENT from the GV page on your computer to land on your phone's SMS app? I'd like to have all sent/received messages be synchronized without having to use the Google Voice app for my texting.

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Any word if there is any way to get texts SENT from the GV page on your computer to land on your phone's SMS app? I'd like to have all sent/received messages be synchronized without having to use the Google Voice app for my texting.

Yeah, hopefully Google can work on that. I know the OS must have an internal database where it stores the "regular" texts because you can go back and forth between Handcent and stock app and it has the same text messages. Handcent even displays old messages from before I installed the app.

So maybe Google can update the Voice app to use that database.

Jinded

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Seriously?

What's wrong with the notifications? Mine are instant, without relying on an annoying SMS. Are you running a CDMA phone that can't get data while on a call or something?

The problem arises when people want to use their own SMS app, like Handcent or something, to send and receive texts. The Google Voice app only has all notifications either on or off, so some people (including me) would rather deal with no notification of SMS or VM through Google Voice and just receive Handcent notifications, so an SMS or Email when a new VM arrives is a decent workaround.

Ideally, though, I would like only VM notifications through the Google Voice app, and SMS notifications through Handcent.

kconover

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, Google Voice cannot be enabled on this Sprint phone.

Unfortunately, Google Voice cannot be enabled on this Sprint phone. Please contact Sprint for more details as to why this cannot be enabled.

Just got an email from Google to integrate my Sprint phone with Google. But when I "check eligibility" I get the above message.

When I called the Sprint tech, she said that this was because the Google Voice integration only works on Nexus phones, not other Sprint phones as the advertising says, and I have a HTC EVO 4G which will not work.

Wondering if anyone else heard anything like this?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, Google Voice cannot be enabled on this Sprint phone. Please contact Sprint for more details as to why this cannot be enabled.

Just got an email from Google to integrate my Sprint phone with Google. But when I "check eligibility" I get the above message.

When I called the Sprint tech, she said that this was because the Google Voice integration only works on Nexus phones, not other Sprint phones as the advertising says, and I have a HTC EVO 4G which will not work.

Wondering if anyone else heard anything like this?

Call back and get somebody that has a clue. That tech doesn't know what she's talking about. It works fine with the EVO. She has it backwards, actually. It won't work with Nextel phones on the iDEN network (which Sprint owns). It will only work on Sprint-branded phones running on the CDMA Sprint network, and only for post-paid (traditional) customers, not pre-paid.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
What, exactly, are you looking to do as far as the notifications are concerned? You can disable notifications in the GV app or disable SMS forwarding and SMS VM notifications in GV.

Any word if there is any way to get texts SENT from the GV page on your computer to land on your phone's SMS app?
As it stands, not unless you're copying yourself. For messages to appear in your SMS app of choice a message has to be sent to your device. If you have a feature request then submit it directly to Google or promote one if it exists already.

Last edited:

jstew10

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Back when the option to place calls from Gmail was first released I made a call to my bank's automated system just to see it in action and haven't used it since. Now, when I'm trying to integrate my Sprint number, I click on Google Voice and it brings me into a profile I never knew existed.

I'm still only seeing the "port your number for $20" option when I put in my number. I was under the impression this was live at this point, but I've seen it written here that it may not really be live until the Nexus S is available for sale. Has anyone else, especially an Evo owner, been able to integrate outside of the beta invitees? Could my previous experience have messed things up for me?