Looking for alternative way of doing things

nthnu

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Currently this is how things are setup. We take a pic on Android and the Dropbox app uploads it. Then it syncs with our laptop. There's a shed task at night to move pics out of Dropbox (to free up space) into Pictures folder in Windows. It then gets backed up to an external drive.

I'm looking for another way to take pics, upload them, sync specific folders/albums on the laptop, but to where the photos won't over run the drive and I can access them online.

I've looked into using Google Photos, but it's not what I'm looking for. I'd take a pic on Android and the Photos app uploads it. Then it syncs with our laptop. But this method would fill up the laptop drive, and if I were to move the files from it it'd empty out Photos, or if I copied the pics there'd be a lot of wasted space.

Is there another way? What do you use to have pics online and are able to backup to external drive without using up a lot of disk space? Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you saving the pics to the external drive as another form of backup? Or is it important to you to save them at the original resolution (as opposed to the high quality images that give you unlimited storage in Google Photos)?

If the photos are in your Google Photos, they're pretty safe in the cloud, and you can always select which photos to download to the computer (i.e., you don't have to download every single photo). Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the deficiency that you're encountering.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Two options for the laptop come to mind.
- Do not sync the photos to the hard drive; view them from DropBox.
- Change the Dropbox sync folder from the small drive to a bigger one.

Both of those options should also work with Google Photos.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1