Hangouts Won't Release My SMS

piratefan

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I used Hangouts as my default SMS app for a while. Now I'd like to go back to Messenger, but try as I might I cannot get the messages to go to Messenger. I have changed the default app countless numbers of times, deactivated Hangouts, cleared memory/cache, and even reset the phone - but all messages still go to Hangouts.

Anyone experience this before? Anyone know how to stop it?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I used Hangouts as my default SMS app for a while. Now I'd like to go back to Messenger, but try as I might I cannot get the messages to go to Messenger. I have changed the default app countless numbers of times, deactivated Hangouts, cleared memory/cache, and even reset the phone - but all messages still go to Hangouts.

Anyone experience this before? Anyone know how to stop it?
Make sure that the threads are in fact SMS and not a Hangout. If it’s a Hangout, then open the Messenger app and start a new conversation with your contact. Sometimes that’s the problem, and simply switching to a new thread via the Messenger app will fix the problem. Please note that any prior conversations will remain in Hangouts as a Hangout message not transfer into your new thread on Messenger.

piratefan

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I have started new threads in Messenger, and when replies come in they go straight to Hangouts. I have deleted the Handouts messages, and the replies go straight to Hangouts.

NOTE: I should probably state that I am a Project Fi customer.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Two things to check:
- In hangouts, see that it no longer thinks it is the default SMS app.
- In the phone settings, General(?) tab, check the default SMS app the phone wants to use.