Tasker for an android newbie

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, just got my first smartphone a couple weeks ago and I'm loving it so far. There are some things I'd like to do with my phone that sounds like the app "Tasker" would be ideal for.

The main thing I'd like to do is have my phone set that whenever it pairs with either my bluetooth headphones or bluetooth speakersphone in my car, it automatically launches my XM/Siruis Radio app and maximizes the bluetooth volume. Likewise, when disconnected from either of those bluetooth devices, stop the Radio app.

Could "Tasker" do this? If so, are there any downsides to using Tasker? The list of permissions for this app is understandably long. Is this app *safe*? Does it reduce battery life or slow down your phone any? (I have a Thunderbolt if that matters)

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
There is a state within the Tasker app for "bluetooth connected" so if set correctly, when bluetooth is connected you should be able to have it launch XM and adjust the volume as a separate task as well.

I have found Tasker to be safe. It saves me battery, rather than adding a drain, primarily for the way I use Tasker. I use it to automatically send me to airplane mode and disconnect the 3G while I'm at work, since I can't use my phone there anyway.

Reactions: phantomog

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response. So its any bluetooth connection then? You cannot specify a particular paired device?

For your use, is this done via some GPS type function? I could also see myself turning on wifi automatically when at home or work since I have networks available there.

mordbane

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Once you set a bluetooth connection for your context you are prompted to specify a device name or address. You can add as many contexts as you want so you can also specify multiple devices, powered (AC or USB), time of day, day of the week, etc...

Reactions: phantomog

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Once you set a bluetooth connection for your context you are prompted to specify a device name or address. You can add as many contexts as you want so you can also specify multiple devices, powered (AC or USB), time of day, day of the week, etc...

excellent! looks like I will go ahead and spend the money to buy this app.

My main curiosity now is how well it will handle the app and timing. On my phone, even if my phone is set to vibrate/silent, if I have the XM app running on a bluetooth headset and I turn off my headset, my phone will start blaring XM over the speaker. I'm hoping it can turn off/kill the XM app or adjust the bluetooth volume all the way down once it senses the bluetooth disconnect BEFORE it start blaring and I look like an idiot at work. :p

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Is this app *safe*?
Yes.

Does it reduce battery life or slow down your phone any? (I have a Thunderbolt if that matters)
Not on its own. You could certainly set up profiles that kill your battery though.

For your use, is this done via some GPS type function?
Read Location Without Tears on the Tasker site before you attempt to set up any location-based contexts. Frequent GPS polling will kill your battery.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I bought tasker and I'm off to a good start for what I want, but not 100% there yet. Hoping some of the gurus here might be able to help.

1. I have a profile to turn up the media volume and launch the sirius/xm app when my bluetooth headset is connected. However, it appears the sirius/xm app won't actually connect and start playing unless the screen is on and unlocked. When testing this profile, if my screen is on and unlocked when I turn on my headset, its perfect. However, if the screen is off/locked, when I turn on the headset I get no audio. Turning on the screen and unlocking I immediately see the sirius/xm app open and it then connects and starts the audio. How can I fix this?

2. I setup a second profile to drop the audio volume and kill the xm app when disconnected. I get the audio volume drop to work, however, tasker doesn't seem to be able to kill the app. Any tips/tricks here?

Thanks a million. I'm loving my android phone more and more everyday.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
If you run frpyo or better, you dont need a "tasker"

How do I do what I want in my previous post without tasker? I have a Thunderbolt (2.2). I'm not trying to run a "task killer". I'm trying to automate actions on the phone based on events (like a bluetooth connection).

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
1. How can I fix this?

2. I setup a second profile to drop the audio volume and kill the xm app when disconnected. I get the audio volume drop to work, however, tasker doesn't seem to be able to kill the app. Any tips/tricks here?

actually 1 seems to be working. For 2, I can't really tell. Immediately after disconnecting the bluetooth, when I unlock the homescreen I can still see the xm radio icon on my notification bar as if the app is still running. However, if I drag the notification bar down and select the xm radio app, it starts the login process as if I was just starting up the app. So I think its working... need to do more testing here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12