Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There will never be such an app. You're basically asking for an impossibility, if you still want a usable phone.

The problem is, this app would have to screen every call that comes in, and of course, it would require you to answer every call (since there is no way to tell if a call is a fax or not until you answer it). These are not trivial issues.

Edit: Oh, and let's not forget that it would require quite a bit of audio processing power, something that can be slow on the phone CPUs. Typically fax machines had dedicated chips for this.

You're expecting far too much from a cell phone.

Last edited:

PreGk

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
This should be possible, I had an app on PalmOS 2 yrs ago that received faxes....only downfall was that u would have to open the app and wait for your fax to be received. palmOS didnt multitask.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I always thought this would be a nice addition to Google Voice. If you get faxes from known numbers, you would just tag the number as a fax line in your contact list, then GV would take the fax and create a PDF without forwarding the call. Wishful thinking, I guess...

I use MyFax. It does have a monthly fee, but since I use it for my business, it works well. Clients can send signed contracts and order forms via fax. MyFax converts it to TIF or PDF, then emails the document to me.

I think the best anyone is going to find is a service that might offer a few free fax pages per month. Attach the document to an email, then send.

EQNish

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I too have been looking for a fax app to recieve faxes directly to my android, a few have said that this can't/wont happen due to technology what I don't understand is, why....

The phone has the capability to act as a modem (I can plug my PC in to and dail any ISP and recieve a 24KBaud Connection (yes slow as hell but doable) this is the same type of analog signal that the fax system use), simialarly I can use the phone as a modem with winfax on my pc Why can't there be a software app simialar to winfax on the android!!!

brnswrth

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
For now, I'm stuck with myfax.com and $10/mo that comes with it. I think that if there were a fax/print feature, you should be able to call your voice mail, check for new fax msgs, instruct to print on phone that you are calling from, listen for odd fax sound, then press a Receive fax feature on your dialer. What the hell is so complicated about that?

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if your device has an analog modem built into it (most have a digital connection). Faxes rely on analog modems (making all those squeaky noises) - and have to have the fax protocol programmed into them. Not all analog modems can send and receive faxes.

For an Android phone to send and receive faxes directly, it would have to have an analog modem built into its hardware (that includes the fax protocols). You wouldn't be able to create a software app if the hardware doesn't exist internally.

gbm2b83

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Fax App?????

Fax machines don't use data. They transmit via phone lines. You can't send/receive faxes on the Droid without a service as the Droid itself can't send or receive faxes.

Why not? a fax machine uses audible analogue tones to transmit data. Why couldn't someone at least program an app for Android to use your phone to transmit these "sounds?" It seams to me it would be fairly easy to at least program an app to send a fax.

gbm2b83

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site

Not sure if your device has an analog modem built into it (most have a digital connection). Faxes rely on analog modems (making all those squeaky noises) - and have to have the fax protocol programmed into them. Not all analog modems can send and receive faxes.

For an Android phone to send and receive faxes directly, it would have to have an analog modem built into its hardware (that includes the fax protocols). You wouldn't be able to create a software app if the hardware doesn't exist internally.

the only hardware it should need is a device to connect to a phone line. Ever heard of a "win modem" these devices rely on software drivers to translate the data into analogue signals and vice versa. All a developer would need to do is to create an app that can interact with the phone device and intercept and transmit these analogue signals.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site

I use efax.com for incoming faxes (although I haven't gotten a fax in forever), and Fax1.com for outgoing.

chathuragune

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site

After a little searching around for android fax app, I found a terrific service at sendfreefax.net/webfax/sendfaxform.php which is a free service which allows a user to send unlimited free fax where one can send faxes and .PDF or .Doc word files with graphics. It is a fantastic service if you want to fax your resume to hundreds of potential employers for job applications. When you are faxing from Kinko's type shop cost really add up. When the fax is initiated you get a email from this service and when the fax is sent you get a confirmation email. You can also sendfreefax.net/webfax/free-receive-fax.php receive faxes to email from this service as long as email is included on the fax.

blaine07

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I know it's kind of e-mail based fax but...I have had great success with MetroFax. It's like ~$6 a month for 500 pages but..works great for me. With the camera on Gnex I have had faxes sent from phone generally turn out OK. Readable at least.

xunholyx

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

After a little searching around for android fax app, I found a terrific service at sendfreefax.net/webfax/sendfaxform.php which is a free service which allows a user to send unlimited free fax where one can send faxes and .PDF or .Doc word files with graphics. It is a fantastic service if you want to fax your resume to hundreds of potential employers for job applications. When you are faxing from Kinko's type shop cost really add up. When the fax is initiated you get a email from this service and when the fax is sent you get a confirmation email. You can also sendfreefax.net/webfax/free-receive-fax.php receive faxes to email from this service as long as email is included on the fax.

Thanks. I just tried it out and it works great. Plus totally free, which is always nice.

nerys

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
yoU do not need An analog modem you just need software that can produce and interpret the sounds used to produce and receive faxes the problem comes with your actual phone connection the phone connection on your cell phone is not an analog connection it is a digital connection this digital connection employs compression this compression will destroy the data bits that are the fax sounds you need to send receive a fax Vonage handles this by using less compression so that the actual facts sound bits can make it through the noise this is why no one has made an app for Android

your phone can handle the entire process just fine but any fax you send or receive will be summarily destroyed by the compression that is used on your digital connection to your service provider

what would be interesting is if someone made one that used voi when you are on wifi with a dedicated VoIP system that uses less compression it should be entirely possible to make software that can do this the problem is are there enough people to make it worthwhile for a developer to make the software....

Y-Android

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi

You may try NOKIA Comunicator line of phones with fax modem. They send and receive directly in your phone via GSM line.

I have a NOKIA 6260 with a one time payment program called Mobile Fax (or Fax Mobile, I'm not really sure), that does send and receive directly, with no e-fax intermediates.

It sends pictures, Word Files, PDF files, etc.You may tranfer the file to the PC or Laptop and them print them as normaly.

It is a similar program as Win Fax Pro from Symantec (no longer available, but alique Windows Fax, but better).

I too am looking for a direct Fax Machine to Fax Machine send and receive for Android because I'm a lawyer and with a Fax one proves the date, time and content of the message and one gets instant send confirmation or rejected transmission, unlike the e-mail.

Therefore, I'm not convinced with all the tech justification not to have an Android App with direct Fax to Fax machine, send and receive capability.

So..., wy change from NOKIA? or better yet,
Y-Android :)

Last edited:

deebee09

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Everything on a computer device is data. Images are bits of data that can be used to make an image. Faxes sent from a fax machine via phone line is converted by the fax app and then converted to for transmission through the modem. The process is reversed at the receiving end.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1