m3u / playlist files

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on the topic.. So here 'goes.

I am constantly listening to/streaming from the Live Music Archives on Archive.org -- it is my favorite website. There is an iPhone app that facilitates streaming and makes it easier to access things on the site.

Since Archive.org has not yet released an official app for the android OS, I have been looking into alternative applications, but it seems that nothing can properly stream things from this site. There are dozens of "playlist/m3u" apps in the marketplace, but none of the ones I've tried will play nice. As far as I can tell it shouldn't be too difficult, they provide a m3u playlist containing URL's to all tracks -- they play fine in any PC based music player (winamp, WMP, VLC).

It seems that any playlist/m3u apps for the android OS are targeting internet radio, and will only ever play the first track, doesn't allow for skipping, etc...

Does anyone know of an app that can do this? Or is there something I'm missing?

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
165 views and not a single comment? bummer.

Hopefully I don't get in trouble for this -- just posting to see if anyone has seen anything lately that could do this.

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Refuse to let this die. This is the ONLY thing I am disappointed about with my droid.

Why why why can't I just listen to an m3u stream from the Live Music Archive??!

nearly 300 views and not a single thought, comment, or suggestion from anyone?

phokus

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
totally agree!

I too love archive.org and can't believe this isn't a bigger issue. I've tried Stream Furious and A Online Radio, both of which only play the first track of the m3u. Very disappointing.

Last edited:

finale

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
stream furious

The latest version of Stream Furious plays back the archive.org m3u now. Though the free version hiccups sometimes when using 3g in the car, the pay version with it's auto-retry might do better.

I too love the archive.org, and have been dreaming about an app that handles the browsing and searching for shows better than the browser. I'm brushing up on my programming at the moment, in a couple months I may try to write one.

Till then I just mount my droid on my comp, download the zip with the mp3s, unzip it, delete the zip, and use the music app to playback. Or use streamfurious.

(listening to Papa Mali from the archive at the moment)

Rock on!

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, I've moved on to Froyo.

In Froyo w/ flash you can just stream directly from the site using their player, which by the way works very very well. Nothing like cruising home from work streaming a fresh new archive show.

Also -- Papa Mali rocks. (7 walkers or solo). check out the show from Rev Hall in Troy, NY. I was there. It was awesome.

Now, if only Phish would quit leaving us android users out in the cold. Creating an iphone only app was bad enough -- but now they're offering a free show download with every purchase of the app!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon