Travel and Vacation

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
So my Android phone has worked hard and I'm taking it on vacation. :p

I'm trying to load it up with good apps for travel and items helpful for while on vacation or a trip. Here is my list; feel free to let me know anything I've missed. This is a road trip so I don't have air travel included but you're welcome to suggest ones.

• Gas Buddy
  • Latitude
  • Google Maps, which includes traffic info
  • Google Street View
  • Google Places
  • Google Maps Navigation
  • Poynt
  • AAA Roadside
  • TripAdvisor
  • TVFood Maps to find restaurants mentioned on the Food Network
  • Urban Spoon
  • Yelp
  • Fodor's forums web shortcut for checking reviews and activity ideas
  • Amazon Kindle for reading
  • Overdrive for reading library books/audio books
  • Dropbox for uploading pictures and videos from my phone
  • QuickPic for easy photo uploading
  • Facebook for sharing photos and videos
  • TuneIn Radio
  • Web shortcuts for hotels
  • Where's My Droid in case I lose my phone. If my battery will hold up with running GPS...
  • And of course, the Android Central app

Last edited:

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
You can easily setup a Blog and use an app like Blogger or Wordpress (depending on what you're using to host your travel blog) to post pics and articles detailing your trip.

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I also just made sure I knew how to use a phone tracking "where's my phone" application in case it gets lost and I need to find it, lock it, or wipe it.

Where's My Droid wasn't sending me the GPS location, just a text message. However, AVG Antivirus has a service for that and it seems to be working.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
If my battery will hold up with running GPS...
You won't get far on your road trip relying on GPS navigation powered solely by battery. Use a car charger that supplies ~1A/1000mA. If you don't supply more power to the device than you're using then you're going to drain your battery even with a charger attached. Not all car chargers supply the same current so read the specs.

Also consider where you're traveling to and whether or not a GPS nav app with locally stored maps may be of benefit.

And GPS Status is also handy for clearing your aGPS data if your GPS receiver runs into problems getting a fix.

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
For sure. I'm not planning to use the GPS for directional info. I just wanted it on in case I lose my phone and need to track it. However, I've since found that the tracking software I have will allow me to turn on the GPS remotely so that isn't a concern at this point. If I need the GPS for directions I'll turn it on as needed. Thanks!

You won't get far on your road trip relying on GPS navigation powered solely by battery. Use a car charger that supplies ~1A/1000mA. If you don't supply more power to the device than you're using then you're going to drain your battery even with a charger attached. Not all car chargers supply the same current so read the specs.

Also consider where you're traveling to and whether or not a GPS nav app with locally stored maps may be of benefit.

And GPS Status is also handy for clearing your aGPS data if your GPS receiver runs into problems getting a fix.

travelreckoning

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
So my Android phone has worked hard and I'm taking it on vacation. :p

I'm trying to load it up with good apps for travel and items helpful for while on vacation or a trip. Here is my list; feel free to let me know anything I've missed. This is a road trip so I don't have air travel included but you're welcome to suggest ones.

• Gas Buddy
  • Latitude
  • Google Maps, which includes traffic info
  • Google Street View
  • Google Places
  • Google Maps Navigation
  • Poynt
  • AAA Roadside
  • TripAdvisor
  • TVFood Maps to find restaurants mentioned on the Food Network
  • Urban Spoon
  • Yelp
  • Fodor's forums web shortcut for checking reviews and activity ideas
  • Amazon Kindle for reading
  • Overdrive for reading library books/audio books
  • Dropbox for uploading pictures and videos from my phone
  • QuickPic for easy photo uploading
  • Facebook for sharing photos and videos
  • TuneIn Radio
  • Web shortcuts for hotels
  • Where's My Droid in case I lose my phone. If my battery will hold up with running GPS...
  • And of course, the Android Central app
I know an application that manages your travel expenses, take notes with pictures and post them to facebook when you want (probably later when you can use wifi), you can see it in travelreckoning.com.
I hope you find it handy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton