Can I get some recommendations on call blocker software

Moondoggy

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I have Call Control Premium on my cell but I got it when a one time upgrade to their Premium product gave you lifetime access to the community blacklist database. I have had no issues with Call Control per se however to get a new copy for my wife's phone I would need to pay a subscription charge for the community blacklist functionality. I thought I could get by with just the Call Control basic but tonight I leaned that there a limit to the number of blocked calls you can add to the Basic versions database so at least on her phone I'm looking for a decent alternative.

Although a community blacklist would be great we would be satisfied with just the ability to add as many phone numbers we want to the blacklist of blocked phone numbers. Although having a product that would block SMS messages from spammers would also be great, she wants to keep using the same SMS messaging product she is using now. If extra functionality such as a community black list and/or eliminating advertisements was available for a one time charge I might consider paying that fee but basically if a free version exists that has the functionality I need, I would like to go with a free version vs anything that requires s subscription fee.

Can anyone recommend a quality call blocker for my wife's android phone?

Thanks.

YouBlue_dev

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I personally use Truecaller. I'm not affiliated with that app in any way. They offer call and SMS blocking from numbers commonly reported as spam. You can report new numbers. When someone calls, it will pop up with the best caller ID they can find. Often times I get a call and it says "Spam - Telemarketer" or something of the sort. It's free if you don't upgrade to pro.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have dropped Truecaller due to their annoying notifications and email. The app does work well but they are way too intrusive. They also can't seem to answer a simple question about the Pro version as it looks like that's a monthly fee, not a one time cost.

Moondoggy

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I looked at TrueCaller but I was concerned about privacy. I seem to recall reading something about having to grant the product access to your contacts list. I wouldn't mind doing so if I knew that the purpose was to only compare incoming calls against the contacts for whitelisting but if they were downloading my contacts then I would have a problem. Can anyone comment on this? Also I wouldn't mind paying a onetime upgrade charge get to get rid of the advertisements but I understand that the paid version is a subscription and if I wanted to pay a subscription I would stick with Call Control. Can anyone tell me more about the paid version? Thanks.

YouBlue_dev

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Regarding the contacts permission, only the developer can truly answer that question. One thing I can say is you can use them as the phone app (rather than the stock phone app). I don't use it as such, but it would clearly need your contacts access for that to work. Also, if you DO place a call via the app, you can see beforehand if the person you're calling is "on a call" etc. (assuming they also have the app installed).

Justin IOnn

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I've never used a call/SMS blocker with a community-generated blacklist.

I have a contact named "Don't Answer" in my Google Contacts list. Whenever I receive spammy calls or texts, their number gets added to the "Don't Answer" contact.

I've used the same call/SMS blocking app, for around seven years now. It's worked on every version of Android I've had up to now. I'm currently using it on Nougat.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=net.velurex.CallFirewallDemo&token=Iu9Wu5dr

It's very easy to block calls and texts from specific contacts - and withheld numbers. Obviously, I have it set-up to block my "Don't Answer" contact - plus a few other contacts.

I'm uncertain why there's so many negative reviews, but people are basically crazy. It works, and works perfectly. It's not the best-looking app, but once it's running in the background, you'll never have to look at it much.

Maybe once or twice a week, I'll find a missed call from a new phone number on my phone. I'll simply search that phone number in a browser, and if it's some belligerent call centre trying to sell me crap that I don't need, they get added as an additional number for the "Don't Answer" contact. I've never required a community-generated blacklist.

Just give it a go. It works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa