I love both 'Wheres My Droid' and 'Lookout'. They both have their pros and cons.

With 'Wheres My Droid', you can text the lost/stolen phone a command for it to reply with the location or sound an alarm. 'Lookout' can do this, but NOT via sms(text). (Free app)

With 'Lookout', you can use their web interface (www.mylookout.com) to click the functions such as "locate" to locate the phone, or "scream" to sound the alarm; or in the premium version you can lock and wipe the device. 'Wheres My Droid' can do this, but NOT via a web interface. (Free, and paid version; in which you pay monthly or yearly- YUCK, who does that?)

Now wouldn't it be great if someone could just combine the features of both these apps into one app? It would be so great and effective to have the ability to either text the commands from a friends/relatives phone (in case a PC isn't accessible at the time) or if there is a PC that is accessible, then to use the web interface. Both methods having the exact same features.

Who would agree with me on this? This would be so sophisticated but yet so convenient and simple. Any developers up for the challenge? Or we could simply email both mentioned app developers and ask to add the additional method, although I would hate having to pay a monthly or yearly fee for Lookout.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcomed.

P.S. The ability to stream the cameras video to a web interface - or the ability to record video then send it via email; either way, it is a feature I would like to see on a missing device or locate app. Might be able to put to good use to see if phone is in motion or not, to note that if it has been stolen or picked up by someone. (The stream method I could see very difficult, but not the record+send method.)
    04-26-2011 03:18 AM
    Lookout is more than fine by itself.
    04-26-2011 06:55 AM
    Lookout is more than fine by itself.
    Until you lose your phone is lost or stolen and there is no computer near by to use the commands to recover it.

This scenario is when you will be wishing it had the ability to use SMS/text features so you can use your buddies/relatives phone to send the command (with code word) to receive the location or to activate the alarm and locking feature, or backup then wipe the device. Think again, because you really don't know until it actually happens, when it could be avoided by something so simple. I refuse not to be stubborn with my android.
    04-27-2011 03:58 AM
    I use Lookout and then created SMS response profiles with Tasker. I just wish lookout could be accessed with tasker then I'd have ultimate control. *evil laugh*

- sent from my HTC Evo "Seafone" using Tapatalk
    04-27-2011 05:00 AM
    I installed the trial version of "Theft Aware" available in the market. It uses SMS to communicate with the phone, and according to their web site a web interface version is supposed to go live anytime now. The cost is a one time 9.99 euros which is about $15 I think.
    04-27-2011 01:54 PM
    I installed the trial version of "Theft Aware" available in the market. It uses SMS to communicate with the phone, and according to their web site a web interface version is supposed to go live anytime now. The cost is a one time 9.99 euros which is about $15 I think.
    Sounds nice, and a better price than Lookout compared to their subscription fee. Still a little pricey though, when there are plenty of apps out there can just add the method they don't already use.
    04-27-2011 08:23 PM
    Until you lose your phone is lost or stolen and there is no computer near by to use the commands to recover it.

This scenario is when you will be wishing it had the ability to use SMS/text features so you can use your buddies/relatives phone to send the command (with code word) to receive the location or to activate the alarm and locking feature, or backup then wipe the device. Think again, because you really don't know until it actually happens, when it could be avoided by something so simple. I refuse not to be stubborn with my android.
    you can access MyLookout.com via the mobile browser of any smartphone - so you don't need a computer.
    08-04-2011 08:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD