11-16-2015 12:23 PM
692 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    Oh okay. I got the ringtone and the screen, just not the answer button. I don't know if that helps narrow it down at all.
    It's not something that should happen very often. Most times it's caused by packet loss on the network. Subsequent incoming calls should still work.
    07-27-2011 12:25 PM
    Oh I gotcha. Is that button literally downloaded each time, or does it simply not display until the call is able to be answered?
    07-27-2011 12:29 PM
    Oh I gotcha. Is that button literally downloaded each time, or does it simply not display until the call is able to be answered?
    It's not displayed until the call can be answered. We did it this way so even if the signalling fails you still know that you got a call and who was calling. Our other option was just not to ring at all until signalling was complete, but then if it failed you'd never know that someone tried to call you.
    07-27-2011 12:31 PM
    I'd say you made the right choice.

Is there a way to change how long it rings before being tossed to voice mail? That'd give more time to get the button and answer.
    07-27-2011 12:36 PM
    I'd say you made the right choice.

Is there a way to change how long it rings before being tossed to voice mail? That'd give more time to get the button and answer.
    Don't believe so. Google Voice controls that. I don't think I've ever seen a setting for that in my google voice account.
    07-27-2011 12:37 PM
    I haven't either. That's why I asked you.

Do you know if there's a specific order in which I need to connect my bluetooth to get it to work with your app?

Sometimes I'll get a call, but won't know if I need my BT (for privacy) until after I answer. I haven't been able to successfully connect my BT in that scenario (while in the middle of a call) so far. It does connect fine that way in the native dialer/mobile network mode.
    07-27-2011 12:40 PM
    I haven't either. That's why I asked you.

Do you know if there's a specific order in which I need to connect my bluetooth to get it to work with your app?

Sometimes I'll get a call, but won't know if I need my BT (for privacy) until after I answer. I haven't been able to successfully connect my BT in that scenario (while in the middle of a call) so far. It does connect fine that way in the native dialer/mobile network mode.
    Right now the app only looks to see if a headset is connected when the call screen is initially created. I think we can change that to allow you to sync your headset in the middle of a call. I'm assuming the bt button stays grayed out or disabled for you?
    07-27-2011 05:33 PM
    That explains it. Yes it does. Taking it a step further, can you fix it so that BT can be used to answer and hang up calls as well? Just like the default system.
    07-27-2011 05:37 PM
    I notice that the listing mentions that it can use up battery if used all the time. How bad does it appear to be in your use?
    I have it enabled all the time and it has worked perfectly to allow my optimus v to ring while connected to wfi and the screen off. I do not use my phone much but on my last charge it was a little over 1 day before I had to charge it ago 1d 4hrs or so. It doesn't seem to affect battery too much then, either way it is well worth it to know when someone is calling right away.
    07-28-2011 05:03 AM
    I'm actually really interested in this BC my rooms in the basement and I get no service. Can you set this app to enable and scan for wifi when you have no service?

Edit: nvm just saw u have to use a different number
    07-28-2011 06:26 AM
    I still have an issue where the other person doesn't hear me for the first second or two of a call, and vice versa.

Is there a setting in the app to adjust for that?
    07-30-2011 10:30 AM
    I still have an issue where the other person doesn't hear me for the first second or two of a call, and vice versa.

Is there a setting in the app to adjust for that?
    Looking into that issue. It happens to us sporadically, but have heard that for some people it happens every call.
    07-30-2011 11:39 AM
    I wonder if it's related to the connection's latency. Mine always connects with a delay but the amount varies ever so slightly, as does my 3G latency. It's always enough that when I call voicemail with no messages, the first thing I hear is "place a call, press 2." I don't ever get to hear "you have no new messages" like I should and do on the normal dialer.
    07-30-2011 12:06 PM
    I wonder if it's related to the connection's latency. Mine always connects with a delay but the amount varies ever so slightly, as does my 3G latency. It's always enough that when I call voicemail with no messages, the first thing I hear is "place a call, press 2." I don't ever get to hear "you have no new messages" like I should and do on the normal dialer.
    Will update here with whatever we find. Even if it just turns out to be latency.
    07-30-2011 04:37 PM
    I figured out what it's doing. It's ringing over top of the initial part of the call. I didn't notice this before, but when I call voicemail over the network, it doesn't ring first....it just connects. When I call voicemail over GrooVe, it rings even though it's already connected, covering part of the greeting.

The same thing is happening for regular calls too, both in and out.
    07-31-2011 03:46 AM
    I figured out what it's doing. It's ringing over top of the initial part of the call. I didn't notice this before, but when I call voicemail over the network, it doesn't ring first....it just connects. When I call voicemail over GrooVe, it rings even though it's already connected, covering part of the greeting.

The same thing is happening for regular calls too, both in and out.
    That means the app hasn't received the connect message yet from Google Voice.
    07-31-2011 07:39 AM
    Ah okay. Hopefully you all can get it sorted. I tried to make a business related call with it the other day and because of that issue, the other person didn't hear me, got confused, and hung up. Twice. I had to use the regular system to get a hold of them.
    07-31-2011 07:43 AM
    In case you haven't already purchased the app, tomorrow we plan on increasing the price. If you've been planning to purchase the app, may want to do it tonight.
    08-01-2011 08:06 PM
    I don't think you should be raising the price just yet. It's not really ready for primetime.

I say this as someone who did already purchase it.
    08-01-2011 11:29 PM
    I don't think you should be raising the price just yet. It's not really ready for primetime.

I say this as someone who did already purchase it.
    I have to agree -- there are still some bugs that cause serious problems. For example, it's still unusable for me for incoming calls because of the ringer conflict issue.
    08-02-2011 12:55 AM
    I have to agree -- there are still some bugs that cause serious problems. For example, it's still unusable for me for incoming calls because of the ringer conflict issue.
    Can you detail what ringer conflict you are having? If you have calls forwarded to both your cell number and to google chat there's no way to avoid google voice sending the incoming call to both. If your device maintains it's data connection what should happen is GrooVe IP ring first, then the native phone system will begin ringing. Then after 2 seconds GrooVe IPs incoming call screen should come back on top. If your data disconnects when the native phone system is in use then GrooVe IP will be disconnected and won't continue ringing.
    08-02-2011 07:03 AM
    GrooVe shouldn't let the native screen pop up at all when it's signed in. Two seconds is forever when talking about incoming rings.

I also had an issue where the GrooVe would pop up for the first call but never for subsequent calls. That makes it unusable too.

Add to that the issue you acknowledged where GrooVe doesn't get the connect message right away.

All these little things should be telling you that the app is still a beta product and raising the price would kill your sales...or tick a lot of people off.

It needs to function as smoothly as the regular system to be useful. It'll be worth more then, but it's not now. Even $4 is too much considering it can't be used to converse with anyone you haven't already explained the problems to somehow beforehand. A business thought I was prank calling them when I tried to use GrooVe, for heaven's sake.
    08-02-2011 07:14 AM
    GrooVe shouldn't let the native screen pop up at all when it's signed in. Two seconds is forever when talking about incoming rings.

I also had an issue where the GrooVe would pop up for the first call but never for subsequent calls. That makes it unusable too.

Add to that the issue you acknowledged where GrooVe doesn't get the connect message right away.

All these little things should be telling you that the app is still a beta product and raising the price would kill your sales...or tick a lot of people off.

It needs to function as smoothly as the regular system to be useful. It'll be worth more then, but it's not now. Even $4 is too much considering it can't be used to converse with anyone you haven't already explained the problems to somehow beforehand. A business thought I was prank calling them when I tried to use GrooVe, for heaven's sake.
    There's really no way to prevent the native phone system from ringing. The android OS doesn't allow 3rd party apps from blocking native phone functionality. There are issues we can control and fix. Others we can't.

I appreciate yours and others feedback, but really it's not a debate. It's something we've decided to do. I posted here before hand to give people some advanced notice in case they were already planning on purchasing the app. We do have a pretty liberal refund policy for anyone who isn't happy with their purchase.
    08-02-2011 07:30 AM
    Okay well that I didn't know. Why does it behave the way it does then? Can you not code the GrooVe screen to stay longer rather than it does? Personally, I can work around it by using my GV number exclusively for GrooVe and only forward it to Chat. So this particular issue doesn't necessarily make it unusable for me.

However, this call connect notification delay does. I can't make or take calls if people can't hear me for those critical first few seconds and hang up out of confusion. Is that fixable?

I'm not debating. I'm giving you an end user perspective. You're obviously free to do what you like.
    08-02-2011 07:39 AM
    Okay well that I didn't know. Why does it behave the way it does then? Can you not code the GrooVe screen to stay longer rather than it does? Personally, I can work around it by using my GV number exclusively for GrooVe and only forward it to Chat. So this particular issue doesn't necessarily make it unusable for me.

However, this call connect notification delay does. I can't make or take calls if people can't hear me for those critical first few seconds and hang up out of confusion. Is that fixable?

I'm not debating. I'm giving you an end user perspective. You're obviously free to do what you like.
    We're playing around with what we can do for the dual incoming call issue. The problem is the native call system will ring as soon as it gets a call. So can't really control when it takes focus. Might be able to reduce the time before GrooVe IP comes back on top. Also thinking of adding a config or an option so you can go back to the native screen if you don't want to pick up from GrooVe IP.

We're looking at the call connect delay. There's a bunch of different possible causes. So there is some chance we'll be able to influence it. If it's completely caused by delays on the Google side or latency then there's not much we can do. Should know more as we look more into it. But again it's a tricky problem because it doesn't happen on every network or every device.

And I appreciate your feedback. I know we won't always make decisions that everyone agrees with but it helps to get different view points. We try and pay close attention to what our users are telling us.
    08-02-2011 08:41 AM
692 ... 1011121314 ...