11-16-2015 12:23 PM
692 ... 1516171819 ...
tools
    Anything I can do or am I SOL until Samsung corrects ths issue (if ever)?
    In the next update we added a work around. We check if the device is the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi and if it is we remove the accidental cheek press flag from the screen. We sent a beta version with that change to another person and it fixed the issue for them. If you purchased from the android market, and email us at snrb.labs@gmail.com, I can send you the beta version as well. Or if you want to wait, you can enable the accessibility option in GrooVe IP to allow hanging up via the search button.
    09-26-2011 07:27 AM
    In the next update we added a work around. We check if the device is the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi and if it is we remove the accidental cheek press flag from the screen. We sent a beta version with that change to another person and it fixed the issue for them. If you purchased from the android market, and email us at snrb.labs@gmail.com, I can send you the beta version as well. Or if you want to wait, you can enable the accessibility option in GrooVe IP to allow hanging up via the search button.
    Awesome, thanks a lot.
    09-26-2011 10:12 AM
    Thanks for a great app - I have zero phone coverage at home and this is a lifesaver!

I wanted to report that I also had a problem making outgoing calls (incoming were fine) from my stock Nexus 1 until I did the turn on/turn off tip for the 'keep screen on' option suggested by someone upthread. After that, outgoing (and incoming) calls worked great.

Air
    09-26-2011 02:48 PM
    I have a weird situation:

I can not transmit voice out from my phone. I can hear myself on my own phone, so I know the mic works. I can press number buttons and the other phone hears it, but voice never transmits.

I have an HTC: Sensation. Any ideas what might be wrong?

The same thing happens in Skype too, so I'm thinking it might be a phone configuration.

Found a fix: Had to play with the options in trouble shooting. Open grooveip, click your menu button, play in trouble shooting
    09-26-2011 03:34 PM
    I have a weird situation:

I can not transmit voice out from my phone. I can hear myself on my own phone, so I know the mic works. I can press number buttons and the other phone hears it, but voice never transmits.

I have an HTC: Sensation. Any ideas what might be wrong?

The same thing happens in Skype too, so I'm thinking it might be a phone configuration.

Found a fix: Had to play with the options in trouble shooting. Open grooveip, click your menu button, play in trouble shooting
    Glad you fixed it. Which options did you turn on? Just for anyone else with the same device.
    09-26-2011 03:55 PM
    snrb_labs I absolutely love this app, I have horrible coverage at work and at home and groove ip gets the job done at home perfectly. I desperately want to get it to work at my job but the wifi access has transparent proxie server authentication, so whenever I try to start groove ip it try's to sign into my google voice account but I get the "cannot reach googles server please allow talk.google.com and forward port 5223" or something to that matter. I tried to get the tech guy to allow this in the settings for our wifi but he's not allowed so my question is how can I change the settings in groove ip to reach the mobile version of google voice because when I use opera mobile on my phone I can access the google voice mobile webpage and I can sign in to my account no problems and send text messages. If you can get this to work it would be awesome. Thanks and once again I LOVE this app.
    09-26-2011 08:50 PM
    snrb_labs I absolutely love this app, I have horrible coverage at work and at home and groove ip gets the job done at home perfectly. I desperately want to get it to work at my job but the wifi access has transparent proxie server authentication, so whenever I try to start groove ip it try's to sign into my google voice account but I get the "cannot reach googles server please allow talk.google.com and forward port 5223" or something to that matter. I tried to get the tech guy to allow this in the settings for our wifi but he's not allowed so my question is how can I change the settings in groove ip to reach the mobile version of google voice because when I use opera mobile on my phone I can access the google voice mobile webpage and I can sign in to my account no problems and send text messages. If you can get this to work it would be awesome. Thanks and once again I LOVE this app.
    Unfortunately there isn't anything you can change in GrooVe IP. The app does not connect over http, it connects via xmpp. And the connection is through Google Talk, similar to the gmail calling feature.
    09-27-2011 07:48 AM
    Snrb_Labs as I said in my last post the partial wake lock was enabled and keep screen alive has always been enabled for me. I think there is a problem with the optimus V for some reason. It is NOT a bad connection to the WIFI as I have full bars and I'm in my room where the router is less then 10 feet away from where my phone is having the problem. I also use advanced WIFI lock which solved the problem I had a long time ago with the phone not ringing until it was about to go to voicemail. I understand if you cannot fix the problem and I thank you for all your help. I just hope I can fix this periodic problem as I cannot use 3G for calls because the lag is sooooo bad. Again the only problem with the WIFI lag is upon connection of the call.
    09-27-2011 05:21 PM
    Snrb_Labs as I said in my last post the partial wake lock was enabled and keep screen alive has always been enabled for me. I think there is a problem with the optimus V for some reason. It is NOT a bad connection to the WIFI as I have full bars and I'm in my room where the router is less then 10 feet away from where my phone is having the problem. I also use advanced WIFI lock which solved the problem I had a long time ago with the phone not ringing until it was about to go to voicemail. I understand if you cannot fix the problem and I thank you for all your help. I just hope I can fix this periodic problem as I cannot use 3G for calls because the lag is sooooo bad. Again the only problem with the WIFI lag is upon connection of the call.
    Understand the issue. It's just not something we've had success with. From what logs we received from others and testing we did it appears as though the connect message is being delayed. GrooVe IP can not determine that the call has been answered until the connect message is received. That's what causes the lag at the beginning of the call. You still hear ringback but the other person has picked up.
    09-27-2011 05:32 PM
    First, thanks for this great app!!!

Why I (and others) Needed It:

My home is also in a poor coverage area for my cell provider, and I use Groove IP on my phone while there on wifi. Sprint and Google have a deal that lets you use your Sprint number as your Google Voice number, so it's nearly seamless.

What I basically wanted is when at home, to disable the cell radio, only use wifi + Groove IP (calls) + Google Voice for text (native Sprint messaging of course requires connectivity to their network for sms/mms delivery) + disable native text notifications to only use GV's notifications.

I've pretty much got things the way I want them/working as best as they can:

- HTC Hero (Sprint/CDMA version)
    - Android 2.3.3 (via Cyanogen Mod 7)
    - Groove IP (set Partial Wake Lock/High Perf Wifi Lock both on to keep things synced)
    - Google Voice (enable its status bar notifications, disable native messaging app's, also just using this as main texting method no matter where I am or how I'm connected)
    - Airplane Edit by Cenk Alti (lets you choose what radios are disabled in Airplane Mode, I set it to leave wifi on)
    - Airplane Mode toggle widget (a million of these in the market or some Power Setting apps can create your own widget)

So with everything set up, I walk in the door, ensure my wifi's connected, turn on Groove IP, turn on Airplane Mode so the cell radio is nuked, and go about my business. I get and make calls, I get and send texts. Walking out the door, Airplane Mode goes off, cell radio goes back on, Groove IP goes off, and wifi disconnects. Life is good, and I only have to click a couple of things to make it that way.

I just wanted to make sure I came here, praised SNRB, and laid out how I use this app in case anyone else is interested in a cheap near-VOIP implementation when they are in similar situations (poor coverage at home/work/wherever but access to wifi).

On to boggles/suggestions/feature begs:

The only trouble I've had so far with using Groove IP is when using a bluetooth headset. I've already emailed SNRB about this and was glad for the help/input - no worries about it at all as I don't use it much. It turns out bluetooth won't work with the app in 2.1 (per their email); I've tried with 2.2 and 2.3 both, but when using the headset and trying out calls via Groove IP in those versions, the call starts out, but then audio crackles and dies away within seconds (call falls back to phone mic/speaker at least), and there is audio artifacting that comes over the headset until I re-pair it with the phone. If I had to guess, it has nothing to do with the app, but with the BT and Wifi radios being in such heavy active use at the same time while sitting next to each other inside the phone, or with this phone's modest hardware capabilities (although Cyanogen Mod 7 has turned it into a practically new phone in terms of speed/responsiveness). Any thoughts?

For requests, first, I don't know how deep you could even tie into Google Voice's services, if this is even possible (since from what I can tell Groove IP is basically an xmpp client, as though we were using Google Talk in our browser on our computer, right?) - what about integrating an interface for GV's text/voicemail/etc? As I outlined above, I am using the GV app, but having access to it directly in Groove IP would be awesome. I'd even beg for some of the other functionality I outlined above with the radios/airplane mode, but that's getting greedy/beyond SNRB's scope I'm sure :-)

I'm just incredibly happy someone wrote something this amazing, supports it so responsively, and only wants 5 bucks for it. Thanks again.
    snrb_labs likes this.
    09-28-2011 07:13 PM
    First, thanks for this great app!!!

Why I (and others) Needed It:

My home is also in a poor coverage area for my cell provider, and I use Groove IP on my phone while there on wifi. Sprint and Google have a deal that lets you use your Sprint number as your Google Voice number, so it's nearly seamless.

What I basically wanted is when at home, to disable the cell radio, only use wifi + Groove IP (calls) + Google Voice for text (native Sprint messaging of course requires connectivity to their network for sms/mms delivery) + disable native text notifications to only use GV's notifications.

I've pretty much got things the way I want them/working as best as they can:

- HTC Hero (Sprint/CDMA version)
    - Android 2.3.3 (via Cyanogen Mod 7)
    - Groove IP (set Partial Wake Lock/High Perf Wifi Lock both on to keep things synced)
    - Google Voice (enable its status bar notifications, disable native messaging app's, also just using this as main texting method no matter where I am or how I'm connected)
    - Airplane Edit by Cenk Alti (lets you choose what radios are disabled in Airplane Mode, I set it to leave wifi on)
    - Airplane Mode toggle widget (a million of these in the market or some Power Setting apps can create your own widget)

So with everything set up, I walk in the door, ensure my wifi's connected, turn on Groove IP, turn on Airplane Mode so the cell radio is nuked, and go about my business. I get and make calls, I get and send texts. Walking out the door, Airplane Mode goes off, cell radio goes back on, Groove IP goes off, and wifi disconnects. Life is good, and I only have to click a couple of things to make it that way.

I just wanted to make sure I came here, praised SNRB, and laid out how I use this app in case anyone else is interested in a cheap near-VOIP implementation when they are in similar situations (poor coverage at home/work/wherever but access to wifi).

On to boggles/suggestions/feature begs:

The only trouble I've had so far with using Groove IP is when using a bluetooth headset. I've already emailed SNRB about this and was glad for the help/input - no worries about it at all as I don't use it much. It turns out bluetooth won't work with the app in 2.1 (per their email); I've tried with 2.2 and 2.3 both, but when using the headset and trying out calls via Groove IP in those versions, the call starts out, but then audio crackles and dies away within seconds (call falls back to phone mic/speaker at least), and there is audio artifacting that comes over the headset until I re-pair it with the phone. If I had to guess, it has nothing to do with the app, but with the BT and Wifi radios being in such heavy active use at the same time while sitting next to each other inside the phone, or with this phone's modest hardware capabilities (although Cyanogen Mod 7 has turned it into a practically new phone in terms of speed/responsiveness). Any thoughts?

For requests, first, I don't know how deep you could even tie into Google Voice's services, if this is even possible (since from what I can tell Groove IP is basically an xmpp client, as though we were using Google Talk in our browser on our computer, right?) - what about integrating an interface for GV's text/voicemail/etc? As I outlined above, I am using the GV app, but having access to it directly in Groove IP would be awesome. I'd even beg for some of the other functionality I outlined above with the radios/airplane mode, but that's getting greedy/beyond SNRB's scope I'm sure :-)

I'm just incredibly happy someone wrote something this amazing, supports it so responsively, and only wants 5 bucks for it. Thanks again.
    Thanks for the feedback. Not really sure about BT. That's a first, generally it works or doesn't work. Haven't heard of it failing after a few seconds.
    09-28-2011 09:21 PM
    Just wanted to give you an update snrb_labs . For some reason 3G call quality has gotten much better for me since the last few updates so I have been sticking to that for now. There is a slight delay with 3G but it isn't awful and the call seems to connect right away. I can deal with this for now but can still hope there will be no lag some day Very odd that WiFi has more problems seeing as its 10 times faster and excellent signal.
    10-01-2011 04:58 PM
    Dnjgnncngnmguu7899p)?,/

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab
    10-01-2011 05:36 PM
    Dnjgnncngnmguu7899p)?,/

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab
    Huh?
    shomizu9 likes this.
    10-02-2011 09:41 AM
    Version 1.2.9:
    - Shrink tab sizes for smaller screens
    - Work around for buttons not working on Galaxy S WiFi 5.0
    - Add favorites tab
    - Add audio menu to in-call screen
    10-03-2011 09:02 PM
    Hi,

In google voice settings, google chat and cellphone are both checked.
    I program different ringtone for grooveip and my cellphone.
    When I call google voice number, grooveip ringtone will ring 2 rings, and then my cellphone ringtone will kick in.
    On the top of my handset menu, I saw the green handset icon for grooveip.
    My question is: If I pick up the call after the 2nd ring, which by now is the cellphone ringtone, will I be charged by my cellphone incoming or so long I see the green handset icon, I am safe to pick up the call.
    If not, is there a way to program the grooveip to ring longer than 2 rings before the cellphone kicks in?
    Thanks.
    10-04-2011 01:47 PM
    Why not just un check the cellphone so you won't have to worry about this? If you un check the cell phone it will ring through on Groove IP only when someone calls your GV number.
    10-04-2011 03:21 PM
    Hi,

In google voice settings, google chat and cellphone are both checked.
    I program different ringtone for grooveip and my cellphone.
    When I call google voice number, grooveip ringtone will ring 2 rings, and then my cellphone ringtone will kick in.
    On the top of my handset menu, I saw the green handset icon for grooveip.
    My question is: If I pick up the call after the 2nd ring, which by now is the cellphone ringtone, will I be charged by my cellphone incoming or so long I see the green handset icon, I am safe to pick up the call.
    If not, is there a way to program the grooveip to ring longer than 2 rings before the cellphone kicks in?
    Thanks.
    There's no way to increase the ring because we can't block the native ringtone. You could uncheck your cellphone and forward only to GrooVe IP. Or if your device does data and voice at the same time then the GrooVe IP incoming call screen should come back on top. If you answer with GrooVe IP then calls are still VoIP. Our in-call and incoming call screen should be at least slightly different than your native ones.
    10-04-2011 09:14 PM
    I know unchecked cellphone is the best solution. I do not have data plan. My friends all knows my google voice number and not the actual cellphone number, so by checking cellphone I still will be able to receive calls when I am out of the wifi zone.

Another question: If I am out of wifi zone, and someone calls my google voice number, after I am back to wifi zone, will I receive a "missed call"?
    10-05-2011 07:57 AM
    I know unchecked cellphone is the best solution. I do not have data plan. My friends all knows my google voice number and not the actual cellphone number, so by checking cellphone I still will be able to receive calls when I am out of the wifi zone.

Another question: If I am out of wifi zone, and someone calls my google voice number, after I am back to wifi zone, will I receive a "missed call"?
    You won't get a missed call through GrooVe IP. But you should be able to see it in your Google Voice account.
    10-05-2011 09:17 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. Not really sure about BT. That's a first, generally it works or doesn't work. Haven't heard of it failing after a few seconds.
    Just a followup SNRB_LABS;

It's definitely nothing to do with GrooveIP. In the 2.3.x versions of Cyanogenmod 7 I've been messing with, they all have problems with running both wifi (with data being transferred, i.e. when using wifi for calls) and bt radios at the same time. I've tried a SIP client or three and they experience the same issue with using the bt headset, just fizzles out after a few seconds of audio on a call. I can't speak for all bt headsets doing this with these builds, just the Motorola H390 I have. Anyhow, just thought I'd followup on this...thanks again for your great app.
    10-05-2011 08:16 PM
    Just a followup SNRB_LABS;

It's definitely nothing to do with GrooveIP. In the 2.3.x versions of Cyanogenmod 7 I've been messing with, they all have problems with running both wifi (with data being transferred, i.e. when using wifi for calls) and bt radios at the same time. I've tried a SIP client or three and they experience the same issue with using the bt headset, just fizzles out after a few seconds of audio on a call. I can't speak for all bt headsets doing this with these builds, just the Motorola H390 I have. Anyhow, just thought I'd followup on this...thanks again for your great app.
    Thanks for the update.
    10-06-2011 08:58 AM
    Does call waiting work in this app (receiving a second call while I am in another call)?

I started a call to one number using groove ip, and then tried calling my google voice number from a different phone. This caused groove ip to completely crash and restart (ending the call I was in).
    10-07-2011 05:02 PM
    Does call waiting work in this app (receiving a second call while I am in another call)?

I started a call to one number using groove ip, and then tried calling my google voice number from a different phone. This caused groove ip to completely crash and restart (ending the call I was in).
    Currently there's no call waiting. We've fixed the crash, the fix will be in the next update or we'll be posting a beta on our Facebook page in the next few days.
    10-08-2011 02:07 PM
    My apologies if this was already asked. I skimmed through the posts and other than shomizu9's excellent review, I didn't see anything about text messages.

As I understand it, GrooVe IP is using the XMPP/Google Talk interface and that Google doesn't (yet?) pass along text messages through to their Talk client. Has there been any thought to including support for text messaging through your client?

So far, I'm impressed with the client and the quality of the calls on both 3G and WiFi. Well worth the $5 and then some.
    10-08-2011 08:55 PM
692 ... 1516171819 ...