GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Just launched a new app a few days ago. The app, in conjunction with Google Voice, lets you make unlimited calls to any phone in US or Canada using the data connection of your mobile device without using up any of your mobile minutes.

Requires a free Google Voice account. For more information on Google Voice visit the Google Voice web site at http://www.google.com/voice.

The app is currently listed at $4.99

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.gvoip

I should mention that it works on both WiFi or 3G. We're always making updates, so if you have questions, run into problems, or want a new feature added please contact us!

Last edited:

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Just purchased it.

I am liking it. I had a issue where the other party could not hear me. I enabled the workaround in Advanced Settings/Troubleshooting (Audio Routing Hack) and that did help. It's actually very clear over EDGE, but also delayed. I am not sure if there is any hope for those of us without 3G/4G. Maybe bandwidth profiles? More robust sip clients often offer a range of codecs. But I think google voice only supports certain codecs. Of-course, it's sounds amazing over wifi, and the delay is hardly noticeable. The popup asking if I want to use Groove IP or Dialer is working fine (when using native dialer). I can tell it still needs some work but it's shaping up very nicely. Well worth the asking price.

You will be getting 5 stars from me, because I can see the issue's will be resolved. I am very happy to cutout the middle man (google voice - sipgate - GV callback = just google voice). A one app solution.

Edit: I wrote a very simple guide here.

Last edited:
Reactions: snrb_labs

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Just purchased it.

I am liking it. I had a issue where the other party could not hear me. I enabled the workaround in Advanced Settings/Troubleshooting (Audio Routing Hack) and that did help. It's actually very clear over EDGE, but also delayed. I am not sure if there is any hope for those of us without 3G/4G. Maybe bandwidth profiles? More robust sip clients often offer a range of codecs. But I think google voice only supports certain codecs. Of-course, it's sounds amazing over wifi, and the delay is hardly noticeable. The popup asking if I want to use Groove IP or Dialer is working fine (when using native dialer). I can tell it still needs some work but it's shaping up very nicely. Well worth the asking price.

You will be getting 5 stars from me, because I can see the issue's will be resolved. I am very happy to cutout the middle man (google voice - sipgate - GV callback = just google voice). A one app solution.

Edit: I wrote a very simple guide here.

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately Google Voice only supports G711 right now. We had actually almost finished implementing another codec before we realized it wouldn't work :(

ejlmd

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately Google Voice only supports G711 right now. We had actually almost finished implementing another codec before we realized it wouldn't work :(
For outgoing calls are you peering with Gtalk (like Talkatone or pbxes.org), because I believe Gtalk supports multiple codecs. Incoming GV only supports G711u.

Reactions: snrb_labs

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Purchased this app. Haven't been able to play with it much yet. But love the concept and the options. For dialing out I really like the options that you can integrate it with the phone's dialer OR keep it completely separate.

I plan to use it as a backup if I'm ever without cell coverage but have access to wifi. It is the perfect compliment to my newly integrated Sprint number with google voice.

I'll give more feedback when I can't put it through it's paces.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Bug: Enabling Audio Routing Hack, makes the speaker phone not work on Optimus V (maybe other phones too?)

Hey, sorry I guess I should make the help for Audio Routing Hack clearer. The checkbox governs which api we use to tell the phone where to route (speaker or earpiece) incoming audio. The default api we use should work for most phones. But we noticed that api doesn't work on all phones, either the voice would always come from the speaker or the speaker phone toggle didn't work.

If your speaker phone button works properly without Audio Routing Hack then I'd leave Audio Routing Hack disabled.

Hope that clears things up!

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Purchased this app. Haven't been able to play with it much yet. But love the concept and the options. For dialing out I really like the options that you can integrate it with the phone's dialer OR keep it completely separate.

I plan to use it as a backup if I'm ever without cell coverage but have access to wifi. It is the perfect compliment to my newly integrated Sprint number with google voice.

Thanks for purchasing! Just to let you know, there is a bug that was reported with the "Always use GrooVe IP" option for dialer preference. Basically the option doesn't work in version 1.0.11. I've got a fix for it and it should go in to the next update. The other two options work properly.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
One thing I noticed when using the groove ip dialer, for some of my contacts I use a custom label for the type of phone. In groove ip dialer, when I bring up contacts, those numbers show "unknown" for the label.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
One thing I noticed when using the groove ip dialer, for some of my contacts I use a custom label for the type of phone. In groove ip dialer, when I bring up contacts, those numbers show "unknown" for the label.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll add fixing that to our todo list. I don't have any custom labels so never tested that.

skippy126

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey...I purchased the app and I really like the concept. I'm having some troubles though. Whenever I call out, the call is always being routed to my speakerphone rather than to the earpiece. I've tried to audio routing hacks in the advanced settings and none of them seem to work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Samsung Intercept
Virgin Mobile
Android 2.2.2

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey...I purchased the app and I really like the concept. I'm having some troubles though. Whenever I call out, the call is always being routed to my speakerphone rather than to the earpiece. I've tried to audio routing hacks in the advanced settings and none of them seem to work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Samsung Intercept
Virgin Mobile
Android 2.2.2

Hi, I did some quick searching and it seems to be a common problem on the Intercept with VoIP apps. I'll keep searching and see if I can find a solution. If I can think of anything I'll put out an update. Sorry I don't have better news :(

skippy126

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for looking into it. I was afraid that this was a common issue for the Intercept. I tried to work around it by using a bluetooth headset. I was able to hear the person, but they could barely hear me...they could only hear me if I was screaming into the headset. Is there some reason to correct that? Also, the "bluetooth" icon on the calling screen was greyed out, but bluetooth was operating, so I'm not sure it is a problem or not...just letting you know. Thanks.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for looking into it. I was afraid that this was a common issue for the Intercept. I tried to work around it by using a bluetooth headset. I was able to hear the person, but they could barely hear me...they could only hear me if I was screaming into the headset. Is there some reason to correct that? Also, the "bluetooth" icon on the calling screen was greyed out, but bluetooth was operating, so I'm not sure it is a problem or not...just letting you know. Thanks.

Sorry again. Bluetooth isn't currently fully implemented. You could try increasing the microphone gain and see if that makes it easier for others to hear you. We're working on bluetooth, hopefully will be done soon.

NCPictures

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

So I am able to use my integrated GV number with this?

Here is my plan.... I am going to be doing a bit of overseas travel. I am looking for a way to make calls back to tue US via VoIP via my cell phone (over Wi fi). I dont care if I need to add another GV number, and actually think that may be the way to go. I could then forward my original GV number to my second GV number.

Any input would be appreciated! Sometimes I feel pretty stupid when it comes to this VoIP stuff.

Oh and Bluetooth would be GREAT!!

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
So I am able to use my integrated GV number with this?

Here is my plan.... I am going to be doing a bit of overseas travel. I am looking for a way to make calls back to tue US via VoIP via my cell phone (over Wi fi). I dont care if I need to add another GV number, and actually think that may be the way to go. I could then forward my original GV number to my second GV number.

Any input would be appreciated! Sometimes I feel pretty stupid when it comes to this VoIP stuff.

Oh and Bluetooth would be GREAT!!

Hi, you won't need a new GV number. You should be able to connect over WiFi and make and receive calls to the US. I've exchanged emails with a few people who are using it outside of the US. You'll need to configure GrooVe IP with the user name and password for the google account associated with your Google Voice number. Then you'll need to make sure calls are only forwarded to google chat. And in Groove IP I would uncheck Allow 3G/4G calling to ensure GrooVe IP only works over WiFi.

Reactions: NCPictures

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
New Version!

Version 1.0.12 is up on the market.

- Calls that hang at signalling will auto fail in a few seconds
- ?Always use GrooVe IP? option now works
- Exit menu is now working
- Hang up tone is no longer played twice
- Added a Ring tone configuration
- Clean up some screen transitions
- Fix an issue where sometimes the incoming call screen didn't show up
- Added a troubleshooting section to the help
- GrooVe IP contact list will now show custom phone type labels for contacts instead of "Unknown"

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
As Takenover83 mentioned...New update is up!

- Fix DTMF digits not detected when in a call
- Add a configuration change Google Chat status
- Proximity sensor support to turn off screen when held to face
- Add new settings in troubleshooting to fix call quality on some phones (If you have stuttering/choppy voice try the new Audio Processing settings)
- Integrate with native call log
- Register as a dialer, clicking on a phone number will now list GrooVe IP as a dialer option

If you were having the choppy voice issue then try the new Audio Processing settings. If you had choppy voice incoming then enable Incoming Audio Processing. If you had choppy voice outgoing then enable Outgoing Audio Processing. For the LG Optimus, make sure that Audio Routing Hack is OFF before enabling those two settings (may need to restart the phone if you had the routing hack on)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad