GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to get this to work on my HTC Thunderbolt. Every time I try to make a call it says "please try again" and hangs up.

I'm currently connected via Wifi at my work. I've also tried using 3g as well with the same result.

I'm logged in to my google voice account
I have google voice Making Calls: Only use google voice for international calls
I've tried changing this to all calls with the same result.

GVIP is logged in with the same account as my google voice

Any assistance in troubleshooting this issue would be great!

There's a section in the help that covers that. Basically you need to log into gmail on your pc using a web broswer. Under Chat there should be a "Call phone" button. Install the plugin and make a call with that and that will allow you to make calls from the app.

thrashertm

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I love the app, but am experiencing significantly worse battery life since I installed it. I am using a Droid Pro with the extended battery, and where my phone would easily last all day on a charge, now it will only make it half a day. I'm using Groove IP with the default settings, but I leave WiFi and Bluetooth on at all times. Battery mode is Nighttime saver, and battery analysis shows 13% being used by Android OS. I may have to disable the app to compare the battery draw.

Any ideas on how to reduce battery usage?

Reactions: davetsu

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I love the app, but am experiencing significantly worse battery life since I installed it. I am using a Droid Pro with the extended battery, and where my phone would easily last all day on a charge, now it will only make it half a day. I'm using Groove IP with the default settings, but I leave WiFi and Bluetooth on at all times. Battery mode is Nighttime saver, and battery analysis shows 13% being used by Android OS. I may have to disable the app to compare the battery draw.

Any ideas on how to reduce battery usage?

GrooVe IP should show up as a separate entry on the battery list. It shouldn't be clumped in with Android OS. What percentage are you seeing for GrooVe IP? The only times the app should use CPU is when you sign in, when it automatically re-signs in after a network change, or during phone calls.

thrashertm

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
GrooVe IP should show up as a separate entry on the battery list. It shouldn't be clumped in with Android OS. What percentage are you seeing for GrooVe IP? The only times the app should use CPU is when you sign in, when it automatically re-signs in after a network change, or during phone calls.

Thanks - Groove IP isn't even showing up on the list of apps. Perhaps it's not the cause of my battery issues after all.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I went through all 17 pages of this thread, but don't think I saw this answered. If it was, mea culpa.

I just installed this app, and it looks really great. Is there a feature where I can designate specific contacts or specific numbers to always use Groove IP (or always use default dialing/cell minutes)? I see the option to "Always Ask" (and always use Groove IP). But really, I'd want to always use it for specific contacts, or always for International Calls, etc. Something a bit more granular.

Oh, and the display does seem to go dark with the proximity sensor, but if I pull the phone back away from my face, I expect to see the dialer (or the Groove dialer) screen to easily hang-up the call. On my D2G, it went to the home-screen (I think...I have to try again...it wasn't the dialer screen and got momentarily confused as to how to hang-up a call!)

Thanks in advance,
AJ

Last edited:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I went through all 17 pages of this thread, but don't think I saw this answered. If it was, mea culpa.

I just installed this app, and it looks really great. Is there a feature where I can designate specific contacts or specific numbers to always use Groove IP (or always use default dialing/cell minutes)? I see the option to "Always Ask" (and always use Groove IP). But really, I'd want to always use it for specific contacts, or always for International Calls, etc. Something a bit more granular.

Oh, and the display does seem to go dark with the proximity sensor, but if I pull the phone back away from my face, I expect to see the dialer (or the Groove dialer) screen to easily hang-up the call. On my D2G, it went to the home-screen (I think...I have to try again...it wasn't the dialer screen and got momentarily confused as to how to hang-up a call!)

Thanks in advance,
AJ

Haven't implemented a feature like that yet. It should be doable though. I believe someone else asked for it, so it's on our list of things to do.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Haven't implemented a feature like that yet. It should be doable though. I believe someone else asked for it, so it's on our list of things to do.
Great!

I have to tell you, one of the reasons I went ahead with the purchase is your activity and responsiveness here in the AC forums. Fantastic stuff.

Any ideas on the D2G not returning to the dialer screen when the proximity sensor detects that I have moved the phone away from my head?

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
The strangest things is happening to me after I call (for the record, I went into your google voice account and forward calls to google chat). I receive voice mails from a phone number I don't recognize. The person who leaves these message is angry because I keep calling his number and never leave messages. Yet, the person I intend calling never receive my call... What gives?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
The strangest things is happening to me after I call (for the record, I went into your google voice account and forward calls to google chat). I receive voice mails from a phone number I don't recognize. The person who leaves these message is angry because I keep calling his number and never leave messages. Yet, the person I intend calling never receive my call... What gives?

That's a new one. Not really sure what could cause that. What does your call log on google.com/voice show? And the call log on your phone?

Zhenya13

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Amazon has a sale on your app today for $1.99 is that driven by Amazon or you guys?
Will you be lowering the price on the android market as well?

Thanks!

P.S. I hear amazon appstore does not update apps as often as android marketplace.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Amazon has a sale on your app today for $1.99 is that driven by Amazon or you guys?
Will you be lowering the price on the android market as well?

Thanks!

P.S. I hear amazon appstore does not update apps as often as android marketplace.

It's driven by Amazon. I'm not sure when they discounted the app or how long it will be discounted for.

EwanG

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The only times the app should use CPU is when you sign in, when it automatically re-signs in after a network change, or during phone calls.

Speaking of which, I have a WiMax connection that I use for my WiFi router, which means that a couple times a day I end up dropping the network for a minute or two. Sometimes GrooVeIP does re-sign in, but most of the time I have to have the app exit completely, and then restart it. I originally thought it might be an issue with my Xoom with 3.1, but I now have it on my LG Optimus V with 2.2, and am seeing the same issue.

Any ideas?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of which, I have a WiMax connection that I use for my WiFi router, which means that a couple times a day I end up dropping the network for a minute or two. Sometimes GrooVeIP does re-sign in, but most of the time I have to have the app exit completely, and then restart it. I originally thought it might be an issue with my Xoom with 3.1, but I now have it on my LG Optimus V with 2.2, and am seeing the same issue.

Any ideas?

We're looking at that issue. Fix will be in the next update.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
BTW: I saw a bunch of comments in the last 17 pages about bluetooth support. FWIW: My D2G (still) works with my Mercedes hands free setup, but as predicted, dialing out won't work without tapping the choice of "Groove IP" or "Network Call" on the phone itself.

Obviously, if you don't have it asking you to choose, it might just work flawlessly. I didn't try changing the setting to default to Always Groove. Maybe tomorrow.

I think the previous recommendation of something like defaulting specific contacts to one or the other, or defaulting specific area-codes (and country codes) to one or the other would fix all that. ;)

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
BTW: I saw a bunch of comments in the last 17 pages about bluetooth support. FWIW: My D2G (still) works with my Mercedes hands free setup, but as predicted, dialing out won't work without tapping the choice of "Groove IP" or "Network Call" on the phone itself.

Obviously, if you don't have it asking you to choose, it might just work flawlessly. I didn't try changing the setting to default to Always Groove. Maybe tomorrow.

I think the previous recommendation of something like defaulting specific contacts to one or the other, or defaulting specific area-codes (and country codes) to one or the other would fix all that. ;)

The app does have BT support. Just seems like the Android API we use doesn't work on every device. Still trying to figure out why. It's what makes android so much fun, something can work really well on one phone but not work at all on another.

lgmayka

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
To receive calls, WiFi must never sleep--right?

The only way to receive calls when the phone is sleeping is to set WiFi to never sleep. Right?

I wish Android had a setting to leave WiFi on only if it has a connection, and to let it go to sleep if it doesn't. Or is that the way it does work?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
The only way to receive calls when the phone is sleeping is to set WiFi to never sleep. Right?

I wish Android had a setting to leave WiFi on only if it has a connection, and to let it go to sleep if it doesn't. Or is that the way it does work?

Yes, if the wifi goes to sleep the app won't receive any message indicating an incoming call.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
The app does have BT support. Just seems like the Android API we use doesn't work on every device. Still trying to figure out why. It's what makes android so much fun, something can work really well on one phone but not work at all on another.

But this is technically not a BT issue. It's a caveat of using the setting where you ask which way to route the call on each dial-out. Again, some enhancements to auto-picking the call route based on user settings would go a long way to help, in addition to being a great feature/enhancement.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
But this is technically not a BT issue. It's a caveat of using the setting where you ask which way to route the call on each dial-out. Again, some enhancements to auto-picking the call route based on user settings would go a long way to help, in addition to being a great feature/enhancement.

Ah sorry, reread your post. Thought you were having BT problems. Yes, we do plan on adding some more fine grained routing capabilities. Like a dial prefix and selecting some contacts to always use GrooVe IP.

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

Try wifi setting under advance, should be an option for wifi to never sleep