GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

classpro

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
It crashes on my android 2.2 chinese tablet. I can get the dialer screen to come up, but I can't connect to GV - it crashes back to the system. Are there any dependencies besides GV that are required? Any other suggestions? I'm using the version from Amazon - not sure where to look to see what version number it is (version number not listed in help screen).

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
It crashes on my android 2.2 chinese tablet. I can get the dialer screen to come up, but I can't connect to GV - it crashes back to the system. Are there any dependencies besides GV that are required? Any other suggestions? I'm using the version from Amazon - not sure where to look to see what version number it is (version number not listed in help screen).

My guess is there's some android method we're calling that isn't implemented on the tablet. We worked with a few people who had similar issues as you and made some changes to support their devices. I don't know if any of those changes will also fix the crash you're running into.

I'm not too sure what help I can offer you. Amazon doesn't give me any ability to refund purchases. If you email me I can send you an early copy of the next update to see if it fixes your problem.

kimberlyinmn

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Just launched a new app a few days ago. The app, in conjunction with Google Voice, lets you make unlimited calls to any phone in US or Canada using the data connection of your mobile device without using up any of your mobile minutes.

This is SO cool!! :) I used it for the first time this morning and it worked great! The only "lag" time was when my mom answered her phone and there was a little it of a pause. The call dropped once, but I have that problem with my Verizon cell phone sometimes, so it wasn't anything out of the ordinary for me. :) I'm looking forward to the beginning of August so that I can drop my Verizon phone. (I pay just under $60 for my basic flip phone for 900 minutes and 250 text messages -- and that's with a 22% corporate discount.)

Thank you!!

Kimberly

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
This is SO cool!! :) I used it for the first time this morning and it worked great! The only "lag" time was when my mom answered her phone and there was a little it of a pause. The call dropped once, but I have that problem with my Verizon cell phone sometimes, so it wasn't anything out of the ordinary for me. :) I'm looking forward to the beginning of August so that I can drop my Verizon phone. (I pay just under $60 for my basic flip phone for 900 minutes and 250 text messages -- and that's with a 22% corporate discount.)

Thank you!!

Kimberly

Thanks! If you like the app, please consider giving us a 5-star review on whichever market you bought from :)

Oh next update (1.1.7) should be posted tonight, just doing some final testing.

mansouan

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm having a problem with my Sprint HTC Evo 4G and version 1.1.6. Sound ONLY comes through the earpiece. I cannot get the speakerphone to work and I cannot get bluetooth to work either. It would be nice to get at least one of the two options going if not both.

I have tried the Audio Routing feature but no luck. Any advice would be much appreciated.

EDIT: I discovered that the bluetooth is working with a Sony Ericsson headset but not with the built in bluetooth of my 2005 Acura. Are only specific bluetooth profiles supported?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Version 1.1.7

- Fix problems with sign-in
- Improve app stability
- Create a sign-in screen with error reporting
- Calls to 911 from the native dialer should always use the mobile network never GrooVe IP
- Default bluetooth to on if a bluetooth device is synced
- Remove Flurry Analytics
- Make GrooVe IP contact list searchable
- Add app version to the help
- Try to obtain WIFI_MODE_FULL_HIGH_PERF lock
- Add a dial prefix configuration

Reactions: Koui

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
amazon is taking forever to update is there any chance you could PM me the APK file?

I can't. Amazon adds their own DRM after we submit an apk to them. I have no way to do so manually. We submitted the update to them at the same time we posted to the android market. They usually take a few days to review the update before making it available.

Reactions: tomwins

mansouan

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Can you please reply to my questions below? Thanks.

Sound ONLY comes through the earpiece on my EVO with version 1.1.6. I cannot get the speakerphone to work. I have tried the Audio Routing feature but no luck.

Also, the bluetooth feature does not work with my car's built in audio system (2005 Acura) but works with traditional headsets. Are only specific bluetooth profiles supported?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Can you please reply to my questions below? Thanks.

As far as I know for the Evo the speaker phone button has never worked. We've tried to find a solution to that and haven't been successful yet. Audio routing isn't required on the Evo, just incoming audio processing and maybe outgoing audio processing. Don't think either will affect speaker phone though.

For Bluetooth all we do is call the documented android bluetooth api. Don't know why it would work with certain devices and not others.

HeidiLynn

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I recently acquired an LG Optimus V through Virgin Mobile. My home is on the outskirts of good coverage, and it was the same with T-mobile, so my calls continually drop and I am now primarily using my cell phone in my home, so this is a huge problem. I have attempted to set this up using wi-fi on my phone, obtained a google voice account and phone number using a gmail account I don't use for any other purpose, made a call directly from my PC's browser using google mail, set it to forward calls to google chat, also set it on my phone to "do not use google voice to make any calls", I also purchased the GrooVe IP app and set that up to allow 3G/4G calling (if I want to use wi-fi, should this be UNCHECKED?) I actually just tested that theory by unchecking it and am still getting poor call quality. It only shows a wi-fi icon in my notification area now, not the 3G icon.

Okay... so I *am* able to make and receive calls, albeit a little echoing which has seemed to get better after a little tweaking of the Microphone Gain (***side note*** it would be nice to be able to tweak these settings while on a call to see if it's actually working). However, my calls still continue to get dropped just as if I were not using my wi-fi to connect, and my wi-fi connection is very strong in my home (the icon on my phone shows a full signal), no problem hooking up multiple laptops to it and using them 100 foot away, but my calls are getting dropped unless I walk outside the house.

Do you have any suggestions? Maybe I'm missing a step... it's a new phone, and this is a new approach to making phone calls for me forsure. I did notice that the only minutes being used are when people call my cell phone number, so I will be giving them my google voice phone number to call from now on. None of the recent calls I make are counting toward my mobile minutes with Virgin Mobile, so that is VERY cool... as it means I will more than likely be able to drop down to the 300 minute plan.

I'd love to get this to work and get me a good signal using wi-fi. Purchasing a repeater for my home is not a viable, financial option at this time.

Thank you for any help you can offer! If I get it to work, I will give you 5 stars and a rave review forsure!

~Heidi

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I recently acquired an LG Optimus V through Virgin Mobile. My home is on the outskirts of good coverage, and it was the same with T-mobile, so my calls continually drop and I am now primarily using my cell phone in my home, so this is a huge problem. I have attempted to set this up using wi-fi on my phone, obtained a google voice account and phone number using a gmail account I don't use for any other purpose, made a call directly from my PC's browser using google mail, set it to forward calls to google chat, also set it on my phone to "do not use google voice to make any calls", I also purchased the GrooVe IP app and set that up to allow 3G/4G calling (if I want to use wi-fi, should this be UNCHECKED?) I actually just tested that theory by unchecking it and am still getting poor call quality. It only shows a wi-fi icon in my notification area now, not the 3G icon.

Okay... so I *am* able to make and receive calls, albeit a little echoing which has seemed to get better after a little tweaking of the Microphone Gain (***side note*** it would be nice to be able to tweak these settings while on a call to see if it's actually working). However, my calls still continue to get dropped just as if I were not using my wi-fi to connect, and my wi-fi connection is very strong in my home (the icon on my phone shows a full signal), no problem hooking up multiple laptops to it and using them 100 foot away, but my calls are getting dropped unless I walk outside the house.

Do you have any suggestions? Maybe I'm missing a step... it's a new phone, and this is a new approach to making phone calls for me forsure. I did notice that the only minutes being used are when people call my cell phone number, so I will be giving them my google voice phone number to call from now on. None of the recent calls I make are counting toward my mobile minutes with Virgin Mobile, so that is VERY cool... as it means I will more than likely be able to drop down to the 300 minute plan.

I'd love to get this to work and get me a good signal using wi-fi. Purchasing a repeater for my home is not a viable, financial option at this time.

Thank you for any help you can offer! If I get it to work, I will give you 5 stars and a rave review forsure!

~Heidi

Most likely what's happening is your phone is putting the WiFi into a power saving mode when the screen turns off. If you want to keep that behavior but still make calls you can go into the GrooVe IP troubleshooting settings and check "Keep Screen Alive"

Alternatively you can change your phones battery/power profile so WiFi never sleeps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid