GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same issue. Can anyone help?

You can go into the Google Voice app and tell it to never ask for phone calls. That will stop it from asking at all. Not sure what causes the double asking. What happens is android goes through each app that's registered as being able to handle phone calls. It sends the call to that app and that app then shows you a pop-up asking to confirm. If you select mobile network the call goes back to android and android is supposed to send it to the next app on the list or finally the mobile network. For some reason it seems to be sending the call to the google voice app again.

TechT

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The second issue is a bigger problem. When I get incoming calls, my phone rings with two ringers simultaneously: one of them is GrooVe IP, and the other seems to be the phone's regular ringer (or is there a special Google Voice app ringer?). Because they're both ringing at once, I can't really choose which one to answer -- both apps seem to be competing to be the prompt that shows on screen, but I can't control which one. This makes GrooVe IP useless for incoming calls for me.

My workaround was to go to the Google Voice configuration webpage and disable incoming calls to my Google Chat account, which is what GrooVe IP uses. Now my incoming calls can't be answered with GrooVe IP. This is really a less-than-optimal solution because (1) I can't receive calls to my computer at all, and (2) I still would like to be able to take incoming calls, at least when I'm on wifi.

Having the conflict issue as well. Typically, both ringers go off simulateously, Groove usually shows up first, answering there gives no connection and leaves voice ringing with no apparent way to answer. Hanging up with Groove and answering Voice/Native app on the following screen, the call typically disconnects on the phone (caller may get voicemail).

Adjusting the google voice settings to "always" as you suggest fixes the dial out issue, but not this one. I can disable forwarding to the carrrier cell number to correct this. But, if I do that and go out of the data network, I can't get incoming calls or dial out from my google voice number. Alternatively, I can disable call forwarding to chat in GV and lose the incoming call capability with Groove. Neither solution is great.

This is additionally complicated by Groove not working with my car's bluetooth (silence both ways). This isn't surprising because the car (2007 BMW 328) bluetooth is finicky, but odd since it does work with the Voice/Native dialer. Since I need bluetooth to use the phone hands free while driving, it means that if I have Groove working for incoming calls (forwarding to chat only), I can't use the phone in the car.

This effectively limits Groove to a VoIP outbound solution (while not driving) for me. :-\

The selection screen for outbound calls is perfect. Would it be possible to implement something similar for inbound calls? Or maybe a way to easily toggle the Voice forwarding setting between chat and the cell carrier number from Groove?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Having the conflict issue as well. Typically, both ringers go off simulateously, Groove usually shows up first, answering there gives no connection and leaves voice ringing with no apparent way to answer. Hanging up with Groove and answering Voice/Native app on the following screen, the call typically disconnects on the phone (caller may get voicemail).

Adjusting the google voice settings to "always" as you suggest fixes the dial out issue, but not this one. I can disable forwarding to the carrrier cell number to correct this. But, if I do that and go out of the data network, I can't get incoming calls or dial out from my google voice number. Alternatively, I can disable call forwarding to chat in GV and lose the incoming call capability with Groove. Neither solution is great.

This is additionally complicated by Groove not working with my car's bluetooth (silence both ways). This isn't surprising because the car (2007 BMW 328) bluetooth is finicky, but odd since it does work with the Voice/Native dialer. Since I need bluetooth to use the phone hands free while driving, it means that if I have Groove working for incoming calls (forwarding to chat only), I can't use the phone in the car.

This effectively limits Groove to a VoIP outbound solution (while not driving) for me. :-\

The selection screen for outbound calls is perfect. Would it be possible to implement something similar for inbound calls? Or maybe a way to easily toggle the Voice forwarding setting between chat and the cell carrier number from Groove?

Not sure a selection screen is possible since the setting would have to be changed in your Google Voice account. The best way right now would be to add a shortcut to the Google Voice webpage on your device. And change the checkboxes. We are looking into trying to hide the native incoming call screen if the same call is also coming into GrooVe IP. But that would rely on hidden undocumented apis and isn't guaranteed to work on all devices.

Space Ghost

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP on Samsung Intercept

speaker fix here for app , is this what the options do?
https://jira.skype.com/browse/JSA-81

Basically the call you guys are making to `AudioManager::setSpeakerphoneOn(false)` fails because you first need to set `AudioManager::setMode(MODE_IN_CALL)`. If you don't, setSpeakerphoneOn will just silently fail

call to AudioManager::setMode into PcmHost::_setVoiceRoute

Thanks! Will take a look. If you have an intercept you can enable incoming & outgoing audio processing. Enable the audio mode fallback. And in a call turn speakerphone on then off. If it works, I'll do it all programatically. Many phones don't like the MODE_IN_CALL, so might have to add another checkbox or something.

I have the Samsung Intercept too (signed up for Virgin just yesterday to lock in prices) and was intrigued by the Groove IP app... so I bought the app today and have had nothing but trouble so far. (Should have checked the Internets first I 'spose!)

Using Groove IP with all settings at default values (btw... you should consider having a restore default settings button!), I'm getting only audio via the speakerphone... not when the call is initiated, only after the call is picked up. Once the call is connected, the "Speaker" button on the Dialer screen does not seem to function - it is permanently stuck in speakerphone mode. This creates an echo for the person on the other end... the person talks, the audio goes out the speakerphone, gets picked up by the mic and then is echoed back down the line. :sad trombone:

So I found this thread and the above post in particular. I enabled incoming & outgoing audio processing in the Troubleshooting settings... as well as the "audio mode fallout". When a call comes in (or goes out) and is connected, the audio is routed through the ear speaker (yay!), but the mic seems to be permanently on mute (boo!). Nothing I say on my end is transmitted back to the person on the other end. Ugh.

Any love here?

cheers.

Space Ghost

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I have the Samsung Intercept too (signed up for Virgin just yesterday to lock in prices) and was intrigued by the Groove IP app... so I bought the app today and have had nothing but trouble so far. (Should have checked the Internets first I 'spose!)

Using Groove IP with all settings at default values (btw... you should consider having a restore default settings button!), I'm getting only audio via the speakerphone... not when the call is initiated, only after the call is picked up. Once the call is connected, the "Speaker" button on the Dialer screen does not seem to function - it is permanently stuck in speakerphone mode. This creates an echo for the person on the other end... the person talks, the audio goes out the speakerphone, gets picked up by the mic and then is echoed back down the line. :sad trombone:

So I found this thread and the above post in particular. I enabled incoming & outgoing audio processing in the Troubleshooting settings... as well as the "audio mode fallout". When a call comes in (or goes out) and is connected, the audio is routed through the ear speaker (yay!), but the mic seems to be permanently on mute (boo!). Nothing I say on my end is transmitted back to the person on the other end. Ugh.

Any love here?

cheers.

A small note to follow up on what I just posted... I have (somewhat happily) discovered that if I plug in a wired headset into the 1/8" mini jack, then everything works perfectly with "factory default" GrooVe IP settings (no "Audio Mode Fallback", no "Audio Processing"). Obviously what has happened is that the incoming audio is routed to the earbuds (instead of the speakerphone) which eliminates the feedback echo.

So... if the speakerphone issue on the Intercept can be solved (I'd prefer using the app without the earbuds), then I would be thrilled. For now I'll keep the wired earbuds handy for incoming(/outgoing) VoIP calls.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

cheers.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

A small note to follow up on what I just posted... I have (somewhat happily) discovered that if I plug in a wired headset into the 1/8" mini jack, then everything works perfectly with "factory default" GrooVe IP settings (no "Audio Mode Fallback", no "Audio Processing"). Obviously what has happened is that the incoming audio is routed to the earbuds (instead of the speakerphone) which eliminates the feedback echo.

So... if the speakerphone issue on the Intercept can be solved (I'd prefer using the app without the earbuds), then I would be thrilled. For now I'll keep the wired earbuds handy for incoming(/outgoing) VoIP calls.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

cheers.

Unfortunately we've been unable to find any solution for the Intercept. The closest we've gotten is sound coming out the ear speaker but then the mic stops functioning.

UWPVIOLATOR

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Alright having problems with Echo and loudness for the receiver of the call. When I turn down mic gain the echo goes away but my voice becomes to low to hear. Then if I lower speaker volume echo slightly goes away but then I can barley hear them.

I have a Droid INC and would like some advice on how to exactly setup the settings. Also if you could talk on the phone with me to test settings as I don't have another phone to test with.

Last edited:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Alright having problems with Echo and loudness for the receiver of the call. When I turn down mic gain the echo goes away but my voice becomes to low to hear. Then if I lower speaker volume echo slightly goes away but then I can barley hear them.

I have a Droid INC and would like some advice on how to exactly setup the settings.

I'd lower both mic gain and speaker volume. Don't only lower one or the other. A combination of both should maintain audible voice and reduce echo. You can also try enabling both incoming and outgoing audio processing in the GrooVe IP troubleshooting settings.

UWPVIOLATOR

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd lower both mic gain and speaker volume. Don't only lower one or the other. A combination of both should maintain audible voice and reduce echo. You can also try enabling both incoming and outgoing audio processing in the GrooVe IP troubleshooting settings.
I have messes with the setting to much is there a way to reset them? If not what should be on and what levels should be default?

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
First of all - I love the app. I bought it within ten minutes of setting up my new phone. The voice quality seems to be pretty good. Better than my n900 via sip.

I have two wifi AP in my house to cover both floors. If I walk between the two floors during a call (which actually happens a decent amount), when it decides to switch to the other AP it drops the call (the GV icon in the notifications bar goes red for a few seconds, and then goes green when it reregisters).
- Edit: This might actually be out of your control since the wifi icon temporarily goes white and then back to green (like it is re-establishing the connection to google). The issue mentioned below is still valid though.

Also, when this happens (also quite possibly anytime a call is disconnected due to the internet connection) I have to completely exit and restart groove ip or I when I attempt to adjust the volume on my phone (in a media player, or the ringer volume) the in-call volume is instead adjusted.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
First of all - I love the app. I bought it within ten minutes of setting up my new phone. The voice quality seems to be pretty good. Better than my n900 via sip.

I have two wifi AP in my house to cover both floors. If I walk between the two floors during a call (which actually happens a decent amount), when it decides to switch to the other AP it drops the call (the GV icon in the notifications bar goes red for a few seconds, and then goes green when it reregisters).
- Edit: This might actually be out of your control since the wifi icon temporarily goes white and then back to green (like it is re-establishing the connection to google). The issue mentioned below is still valid though.

Also, when this happens (also quite possibly anytime a call is disconnected due to the internet connection) I have to completely exit and restart groove ip or I when I attempt to adjust the volume on my phone (in a media player, or the ringer volume) the in-call volume is instead adjusted.

Hi,

Don't think anything can be done about moving between floors. But, are you using version 1.1.8 of the app? That should re-sign in properly. But we haven't done much testing with a connection drop during a call, will take a look.

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Don't think anything can be done about moving between floors. But, are you using version 1.1.8 of the app? That should re-sign in properly. But we haven't done much testing with a connection drop during a call, will take a look.

Yep, it's version 1.1.8. It re-signs in fine, but in the process of doing that it kills the call. On my Nokia phone, when I would switch between the two access points, the call would just drop out for a few seconds, and then continue again once it was connected to the new one. - Actually I just tested a sip connection, and the call also dropped out for me. This is definitely an android thing.

711eri

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello there, i am on a samsung instinct VM, got the app to work, but it echos, now the other line can not hear any voice, and it is on a very long delay. I have play around with all the functions on the app to get it to this point, but this is the best i can get it to? Help please!

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hello there, i am on a samsung instinct VM, got the app to work, but it echos, now the other line can not hear any voice, and it is on a very long delay. I have play around with all the functions on the app to get it to this point, but this is the best i can get it to? Help please!

Hey, WiFi or 3G? Which settings have you tried and in what combination?

711eri

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey, WiFi or 3G? Which settings have you tried and in what combination?

Hello there, I am using 3g.my current setting areoutgoing audio process on, incoming audio process on.audio routing on, audio mode feedback on,mic buffer is on medium, I believe those are the only things I have played with. I would definitely appreciate the help. Thanks

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hello there, I am using 3g.my current setting areoutgoing audio process on, incoming audio process on.audio routing on, audio mode feedback on,mic buffer is on medium, I believe those are the only things I have played with. I would definitely appreciate the help. Thanks

Turn off audio routing. I'd try increasing the mic buffer to x-large. You can also change the gain settings to reduce echo. Lowering the mic gain and speaker volume. The app requires at least 90kbps upload and download to function properly. The speed and quality of your 3G connection will play a very big role in your call quality. Any latency will cause delay.

711eri

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Turn off audio routing. I'd try increasing the mic buffer to x-large. You can also change the gain settings to reduce echo. Lowering the mic gain and speaker volume. The app requires at least 90kbps upload and download to function properly. The speed and quality of your 3G connection will play a very big role in your call quality. Any latency will cause delay.

Hey there, so i did as you said and it seemed to get better, there was no echo on the other end, its semmed like no delay, the volume was good, only thing was that the person on the other end could not hear me now. I check upload speed and came in at 109. I tried to play with the settings some more and seems to have made it worse again. Very choppy on other end, delay, and still can not hear on other end. thanks

711eri

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey there, so i did as you said and it seemed to get better, there was no echo on the other end, its semmed like no delay, the volume was good, only thing was that the person on the other end could not hear me now. I check upload speed and came in at 109. I tried to play with the settings some more and seems to have made it worse again. Very choppy on other end, delay, and still can not hear on other end. thanks

Sorry to bug you, but was just wondering if you had any more suggestions on how to get the app to work? Thank you in advance.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to bug you, but was just wondering if you had any more suggestions on how to get the app to work? Thank you in advance.

Hi, it seems like you're on the edge for network. I'm thinking a lot of the issues are network related. Are you able to connect to a wifi access point and try it? We can figure out which settings work best when connected to WiFi since that will eliminate network problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox