GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

Scooter_In_MN

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Newbie question. I just signed up for Goggle Voice because I travel a lot. Does it use the WiFi by default when its enabled for calls or do i have to specify some how? I have Sprint and its not clear how to call with my Sprint account vs. the Goggle account.

mudd77

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
snrb_labs,

I have been using the GrooVe IP app for awhile now and like it a lot. I am having one issue though. On pretty much all incoming calls my phone only rings once and then goes to voice mail by the time I pick it up. When I call the person back they say that the phone rang 5 or more times. I have played with all of the app settings and even forwarded the appropriate ports listed on your website and still no luck. Any suggestions? Like I said before, I really like the app and for my outgoing calls I am not experiencing any issues. Thanks in advance.

Set-Up:
Phone: LG Optimus V
Use GrooVe IP app over wifi only (25Mbs down / 1Mbs up)
In my Google Voice account, I have call forwarding set to Google Chat and do not have calls forwarded to my mobile phone.
No power saving mode (when the screen turns off) used.
Currently have the Audio Routing, Audio Mode Fallback and the the Incoming & Outgoing Audio Processing boxes checked.

UPDATE:
After some more testing, it seems that it is indeed the screen timing out on my phone that is causing me to miss my calls. I just had multiple people call me with the screen left on and everything worked fine. Hmmmm, now I need to figure out a way around this, as I don't won't to leave my screen on all the time.

Last edited:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
snrb_labs,

I have been using the GrooVe IP app for awhile now and like it a lot. I am having one issue though. On pretty much all incoming calls my phone only rings once and then goes to voice mail by the time I pick it up. When I call the person back they say that the phone rang 5 or more times. I have played with all of the app settings and even forwarded the appropriate ports listed on your website and still no luck. Any suggestions? Like I said before, I really like the app and for my outgoing calls I am not experiencing any issues. Thanks in advance.

Set-Up:
In my Google Voice account, I have call forwarding set to Google Chat and do not have calls forwarded to my mobile phone.
Currently have the Audio Routing, Audio Mode Fallback and the the Incoming & Outgoing Audio Processing boxes checked.

UPDATE:
After some more testing, it seems that it is indeed the screen timing out on my phone that is causing me to miss my calls. I just had multiple people call me with the screen left on and everything worked fine. Hmmmm, now I need to figure out a way around this, as I don't won't to leave my screen on all the time.

Hi,

Go into your battery/power profile and change your wifi to never sleep. By default it's likely going to sleep when the screen turns off.

mudd77

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Go into your battery/power profile and change your wifi to never sleep. By default it's likely going to sleep when the screen turns off.

Yeah, I had already done that when I first got my phone. Anyway, I'm fine with leaving the screen on for now when I am at home. I can just turn the brightness setting all the way down to conserve battery. Thanks.

Koui

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious, is there a way to disable the 'search contacts' dialog box when pressing the contacts button? The on screen keyboard pops up every time and I'd rather use the scroll bar to find who to call. Thanks.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious, is there a way to disable the 'search contacts' dialog box when pressing the contacts button? The on screen keyboard pops up every time and I'd rather use the scroll bar to find who to call. Thanks.

You can hit the back button to get rid of the keyboard. That's about the only option right now.

Koui

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
You can hit the back button to get rid of the keyboard. That's about the only option right now.
Thanks, that's what I've been doing. An option in Miscellaneous settings to disable the search in a future revision of GVIP would be nice, but if I'm the only user that's requested it, it's no biggie.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, that's what I've been doing. An option in Miscellaneous settings to disable the search in a future revision of GVIP would be nice, but if I'm the only user that's requested it, it's no biggie.

Will write it down. Should be easy enough I think.

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I have been having trouble with the audio latency in the call being bad (random 4 second pauses and stuff). I finally figured out that this was caused by my wifi. I tried pinging my phone, and noticed that the latency was increasing and becoming a lot more "jittery" when the screen turned off (probably due to some power saving mode).

The leave screen on button works well for me (yes I have the leave wifi on when screen off setting on). As long as the screen is on, I get ~2ms pings. It would spike up to as high as 4000ms when the screen turned off.

Just a hint for people in case they are having trouble. This is on a TMobile Nexus S.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have been having trouble with the audio latency in the call being bad (random 4 second pauses and stuff). I finally figured out that this was caused by my wifi. I tried pinging my phone, and noticed that the latency was increasing and becoming a lot more "jittery" when the screen turned off (probably due to some power saving mode).

The leave screen on button works well for me (yes I have the leave wifi on when screen off setting on). As long as the screen is on, I get ~2ms pings. It would spike up to as high as 4000ms when the screen turned off.

Just a hint for people in case they are having trouble. This is on a TMobile Nexus S.

Most HTC phones have the same issue with WiFi. That's why we added the keep screen alive checkbox

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Does Groove IP include echo cancellation code? When I talk to another person, they hear an echo of themselves a few seconds after they talk. I tried turning the volume down, but this didn't help (even when I had it quiet enough that I could barely hear the other person on the line).

edit: Here's a post by the guys that made csipsimple about how to enable echo cancellation: http://code.google.com/p/csipsimple/issues/detail?id=119#c38

Last edited:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Does Groove IP include echo cancellation code? When I talk to another person, they hear an echo of themselves a few seconds after they talk. I tried turning the volume down, but this didn't help (even when I had it quiet enough that I could barely hear the other person on the line).

edit: Here's a post by the guys that made csipsimple about how to enable echo cancellation: Issue 119 - csipsimple - Echo problems tracking issue - SIP application for Android devices - Google Project Hosting

You can reduce echo by lowering the mic gain and speaker volume. It's a combination of both that will do it.

We are working on integrating the speex echo canceler, it's the same one that I believe csipsimple uses.

The new android api's that allow you to use the device echo canceler aren't available until Honeycomb.

pacolococt

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I love this app and was well worth the $4. I haven't had any major problems on the Optimus V yet but I do have a couple of questions. When I have my phone idle (screen is off etc.) and I receive a call through my GV number to my cell the majority of the time it will do a half ring and then go right to voice mail so I can see that I missed a call but don't have time to answer it. If I have the screen active it rings on my cell right away like it should. This isn't because the wifi is low. I click a button to activate the screen and I have full bars on wifi so that isn't the problem and I could be standing right next to my router and it would do the same thing. Is there any solution to this? Once I call the person back everything is fine but I would like to know someone is calling me sooner then right when it is going to voicemail. Also talking with 3g data instead of wifi is very difficult as there is a significant delay but I'm sure that is more on Virgin then your app. Thanks for any help in advance.

pacolococt

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
snrb_labs,

Set-Up:

UPDATE:

Woops should have read the previous page before posting lol. Seems that I am not the only one with this problem. Hopefully there is a solution coming as leaving the screen on is not a good idea for me. Also where is the option to not have wifi sleep on this phone? I cannot find a power/battery profile. Sorry first smartphone.

pacolococt

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I found the wifi sleep policy under Home, Menu, Settings, Wireless & Network, Wi-Fi Settings
Click the Menu button and select "Advanced". I changed to never and the phone still doesn't ring until it is going to voicemail but if I leave the screen on its perfect. Very weird.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I found the wifi sleep policy under Home, Menu, Settings, Wireless & Network, Wi-Fi Settings
Click the Menu button and select "Advanced". I changed to never and the phone still doesn't ring until it is going to voicemail but if I leave the screen on its perfect. Very weird.

Generally HTC phones have that issue, but you don't have a HTC phone. Where no matter what the setting in yoru power profile the wifi still goes into a power saving mode when the screen is off. There are a few apps on the market that claim to fix the issue. Might be worth trying one of those out. Think there is a free one called WiFi Fixer. Don't have any personal experience with any of them though.

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
You can reduce echo by lowering the mic gain and speaker volume. It's a combination of both that will do it.

We are working on integrating the speex echo canceler, it's the same one that I believe csipsimple uses.

The new android api's that allow you to use the device echo canceler aren't available until Honeycomb.

The third bullet point in this post mentions the new audio mode: MODE_IN_COMMUNICATION that is available in Android 3.0, and as a private api on some android 2.3 devices (a couple people said it works on the Nexus S devices). This is supposed to make the device use the hardware echo cancellation. I would be interested to see if this would fix the wifi issue too (having to keep the screen on to make a call).

I'm not sure how hard it is to implement this, but if you need someone to test it, I am more than willing to.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
The third bullet point in this post mentions the new audio mode: MODE_IN_COMMUNICATION that is available in Android 3.0, and as a private api on some android 2.3 devices (a couple people said it works on the Nexus S devices). This is supposed to make the device use the hardware echo cancellation. I would be interested to see if this would fix the wifi issue too (having to keep the screen on to make a call).

I'm not sure how hard it is to implement this, but if you need someone to test it, I am more than willing to.

The in communication audio mode won't fix the wifi issue. That would get fixed by the high perf wifi lock. We added support for that wifi lock already, but it's a 3.0 api. We still try and get the lock on any gingerbread device as well.

We won't be trying to change the audio mode for a little while, at least till after the next update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad