GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

devilspy

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
So I just bought this app yesterday off android market. Virgin mobile Optimus v. App installed fine.

I am able to receive calls and dial out without issue. Person cannot hear me and i cannot hear them, the call drops almost instantly too usually within 1-3 seconds.. tried 3g/4g only.. tried turning on audio routing ..high perf wifi lock....still the same issue.
Tried two different wifi networks&routers..and just on my 3g only..same thing.

No issues dialing or answering. Just drops right away and signs out.
I do have it set in google voice to gchat only as well.

What else could I try? Anyone have similar issues?

pacolococt

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
So I just bought this app yesterday off android market. Virgin mobile Optimus v. App installed fine.

I am able to receive calls and dial out without issue. Person cannot hear me and i cannot hear them, the call drops almost instantly too usually within 1-3 seconds.. tried 3g/4g only.. tried turning on audio routing ..high perf wifi lock....still the same issue.

That's very odd. I too have the optimus v and although I have small problems here and there I have never had the problem you are describing. Out of curiosity is your V brand new and what version of Android OS are you running. Mine has 2.2.1 so enabling the wifi lock in Groove is pointless. Accept calls on answer maybe? Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

pacolococt

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed that you said it signs you out when the call drops. Make sure you aren't signed into Google Voice from another location and make sure that you are not running the Google Voice app itself on your Optimus V.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

Is your phone stock? Or have you changed the rom?

Do you have any task killer or battery manager apps like juice defender or advanced task killer?

dspayde

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
That is correct. You download the app setup and setup a few basic options on Groove IP. You need a google voice account and need to forward the calls to Google Chat and not your cell. Someone calls your Google Voice number and it sends it through to your cell phone so that it rings just like if someone was calling your cell number. To make calls you select Groove IP instead of mobile network when it gives you that option. It's that simple. Calls are perfect on WiFi with a good signal and OK on 3G but there is a slight delay with 3G. The only thing that sucks is you are using a different number then your cell but its well worth it.
Will this also work in other countries? I am sure I can find WiFi almost anywhere I travel.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Will this also work in other countries? I am sure I can find WiFi almost anywhere I travel.

It should. We have testers in Europe and Asia who use the app to make calls back to the US. You should be aware that Google announced that they are expanding Google Voice to other countries and that calls from those countries will cost $.01 a minute back to the US or Canada. We've found that you're still able to make calls for free if your account was created in the US. But that may not always be the case.

pacolococt

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Snrb_labs thanks again for all your work on this app and quick updates. I have a really stupid question but I just have to ask it. I signed up for G Voice like a year ago and at the time I was exploring using it for a home phone solution with sipgate blablabla. Anywho my computer just wouldn't let me receive calls even though I could make them, so I scrapped the idea. Fast forward a year later I buy the optimus v, find your app, and setup everything through g voice. Everything is fine with minimal complaints. The longwinded question I have is if i had told Google I didn't want a different number a year ago, would I have been able to setup up Groove through my cell number? I am currently giving people that I talk to a lot my G Voice number for phone calls and others my cell for quick conversations and texts. Is this possible or do you need the second number? If so I could just open another G Voice account right? Thanks again.

mhaas75

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I have been having some issues getting this to work on a Rooted Droid1, running CushtoPush, a CM7 based rom. ver. 2.3.5. I have the voice # and its only forwarded to Google Chat. Groove connects fine and is always connected until I try calling out or recieving a call. When any of these actions are taking place, Groove will disconnect with in 3 seconds and then will sign back in. This process happens on incoming and outgoing calls.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*Through Desktop PC I am signed out of everything from chat/voice and emails. Emails on phone are setup for push. Google Talk on phone is logged out as well.(I have tried this both on and off.) I know that I can't sign out of voice on phone or I will be forced to re configure.

Thanks

kimberlyinmn

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I have been having some issues getting this to work on a Rooted Droid1, running CushtoPush, a CM7 based rom. ver. 2.3.5. I have the voice # and its only forwarded to Google Chat. Groove connects fine and is always connected until I try calling out or recieving a call. When any of these actions are taking place, Groove will disconnect with in 3 seconds and then will sign back in. This process happens on incoming and outgoing calls.

*Through Desktop PC I am signed out of everything from chat/voice and emails. Emails on phone are setup for push. Google Talk on phone is logged out as well.(I have tried this both on and off.) I know that I can't sign out of voice on phone or I will be forced to re configure.

Thanks

Try totally removing your Gmail email account from your phone. I am wondering if the "push" checking your account might be causing the problem. Or sign up for a new Gmail address and set up Voice with that address to see if you still have issues. Just use Voice with the new account.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

Thanks

Most likely the app is crashing. My guess is some API we call is not implemented or not implemented the same in that rom. The only solution I know of is to switch roms.

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any plans to include a server that can compress the audio stream between google and groove ip? Similar to what one of the google voice clients for the iphone does (I can't remember the name of the app off the top of my head, but I am sure I can find it if you want).

This would greatly enhance 3g calling quality.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any plans to include a server that can compress the audio stream between google and groove ip? Similar to what one of the google voice clients for the iphone does (I can't remember the name of the app off the top of my head, but I am sure I can find it if you want).

This would greatly enhance 3g calling quality.

Don't believe that's something we're interested in doing. Mostly because I'd be constantly paranoid about the server being hacked and people's login data and phone calls being compromised. Right now the app is a direct connection to Google.

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed on my nexus s that if the wifi connection drops (even if it immediately reconnects), groove ip drops the current call, and reconnects itself.

I tried the same thing with csipsimple, and I noticed when my device disconnected, as long as it quickly reconnected (which it always seems to do), the call doesn't drop at all, and continues on fine.

My room is a decent distance from the wifi router, and my connections seems to be semi-spotty. Is there anything you can do here? I have tried everything I could on my end to get a good connection, but I have run out of options, and may have to switch to a sip provider instead.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed on my nexus s that if the wifi connection drops (even if it immediately reconnects), groove ip drops the current call, and reconnects itself.

I tried the same thing with csipsimple, and I noticed when my device disconnected, as long as it quickly reconnected (which it always seems to do), the call doesn't drop at all, and continues on fine.

My room is a decent distance from the wifi router, and my connections seems to be semi-spotty. Is there anything you can do here? I have tried everything I could on my end to get a good connection, but I have run out of options, and may have to switch to a sip provider instead.

There's really not anything you can set in the app. I can take a look and see if there is something we can change.

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
There's really not anything you can set in the app. I can take a look and see if there is something we can change.

Fair enough - thanks for trying.

Also, when the calls do drop, I have to completely exit and restart groove ip before I can make outgoing calls again (if I don't, the call gets stuck on dialing).