GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

shomizu9

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Not really sure about BT. That's a first, generally it works or doesn't work. Haven't heard of it failing after a few seconds.

Just a followup SNRB_LABS;

It's definitely nothing to do with GrooveIP. In the 2.3.x versions of Cyanogenmod 7 I've been messing with, they all have problems with running both wifi (with data being transferred, i.e. when using wifi for calls) and bt radios at the same time. I've tried a SIP client or three and they experience the same issue with using the bt headset, just fizzles out after a few seconds of audio on a call. I can't speak for all bt headsets doing this with these builds, just the Motorola H390 I have. Anyhow, just thought I'd followup on this...thanks again for your great app.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Just a followup SNRB_LABS;

It's definitely nothing to do with GrooveIP. In the 2.3.x versions of Cyanogenmod 7 I've been messing with, they all have problems with running both wifi (with data being transferred, i.e. when using wifi for calls) and bt radios at the same time. I've tried a SIP client or three and they experience the same issue with using the bt headset, just fizzles out after a few seconds of audio on a call. I can't speak for all bt headsets doing this with these builds, just the Motorola H390 I have. Anyhow, just thought I'd followup on this...thanks again for your great app.

Thanks for the update.

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Does call waiting work in this app (receiving a second call while I am in another call)?

I started a call to one number using groove ip, and then tried calling my google voice number from a different phone. This caused groove ip to completely crash and restart (ending the call I was in).

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Does call waiting work in this app (receiving a second call while I am in another call)?

I started a call to one number using groove ip, and then tried calling my google voice number from a different phone. This caused groove ip to completely crash and restart (ending the call I was in).

Currently there's no call waiting. We've fixed the crash, the fix will be in the next update or we'll be posting a beta on our Facebook page in the next few days.

praetor

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
My apologies if this was already asked. I skimmed through the posts and other than shomizu9's excellent review, I didn't see anything about text messages.

As I understand it, GrooVe IP is using the XMPP/Google Talk interface and that Google doesn't (yet?) pass along text messages through to their Talk client. Has there been any thought to including support for text messaging through your client?

So far, I'm impressed with the client and the quality of the calls on both 3G and WiFi. Well worth the $5 and then some.

EwanG

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Have had a couple of calls lately where I can hear the caller crystal clear, but they tell me that I seem to be "breaking up". This is on an LG Optimus V running IHO (Gingerbread) with an interactive overclock to 785 on a WiFi call.

Any Opt V users who can share which settings work for them?

TIA!

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
My apologies if this was already asked. I skimmed through the posts and other than shomizu9's excellent review, I didn't see anything about text messages.

As I understand it, GrooVe IP is using the XMPP/Google Talk interface and that Google doesn't (yet?) pass along text messages through to their Talk client. Has there been any thought to including support for text messaging through your client?

So far, I'm impressed with the client and the quality of the calls on both 3G and WiFi. Well worth the $5 and then some.

I just use this in conjunction with the Google Voice app. The Google Voice app will handle voice mail and text messages, while GrooveIP handles the call side.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

You'll have to use the Google Voice android app for SMS. The limitation isn't a technical one, we know how to connect to Google Voice SMS. But currently Google's terms of service don't allow it. Unless Google changes their TOS or we get permission from them we won't be able to add it into the app.

praetor

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
You'll have to use the Google Voice android app for SMS. The limitation isn't a technical one, we know how to connect to Google Voice SMS. But currently Google's terms of service don't allow it. Unless Google changes their TOS or we get permission from them we won't be able to add it into the app.

Gotcha. I didn't know it was a TOS issue.

I've been using the official client, but I was hoping to have SMS integrated into GrooVe IP as well. I appreciate the info!

birdmom9726

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I LOVE GrooVe IP! I tell all my friends about it - it's the best thing ever as far as I'm concerned. I love the feature that pops up when you dial out that asks if you want to use GrooVe IP or cell phone network - this really saves me money on my cell phone bill!!!!

Whenever I can, I post about GIP everywhere I can - this is too good to keep to myself! Whoever thought this app up is a genius.....:D

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I LOVE GrooVe IP! I tell all my friends about it - it's the best thing ever as far as I'm concerned. I love the feature that pops up when you dial out that asks if you want to use GrooVe IP or cell phone network - this really saves me money on my cell phone bill!!!!

Whenever I can, I post about GIP everywhere I can - this is too good to keep to myself! Whoever thought this app up is a genius.....:D

Thanks. Glad you like it!

imprezu

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I just got the galaxy player 5.0 and when I make phone calls I know the mic works because I can hear my own voice but the voice does not transmit so the other party cannot hear me. I can hear them clear. What am I missing?

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the echo canceler enabled, and it seems to normally work, except when I am told after the call: "unable to determine echo canceler value" (I have the echo tail set to auto detect).

I am assuming this is occurring because the in-call volume was set too low when the initial 'beep' occurred at the beginning of the call. Is there some way to increase the in-call volume at the beginning when the beep occurs, or is this issue occurring for some other reason?

Overall, while I appreciate the addition of the echo canceller, I really wish there was a more robust solution available. Do you know if Android ICS will include the ability to use the phone api to handle the echo canceler?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I just got the galaxy player 5.0 and when I make phone calls I know the mic works because I can hear my own voice but the voice does not transmit so the other party cannot hear me. I can hear them clear. What am I missing?

Try the Keep Screen Alive checkbox. It could be that the wifi chip is going into a power saving state

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the echo canceler enabled, and it seems to normally work, except when I am told after the call: "unable to determine echo canceler value" (I have the echo tail set to auto detect).

I am assuming this is occurring because the in-call volume was set too low when the initial 'beep' occurred at the beginning of the call. Is there some way to increase the in-call volume at the beginning when the beep occurs, or is this issue occurring for some other reason?

Overall, while I appreciate the addition of the echo canceller, I really wish there was a more robust solution available. Do you know if Android ICS will include the ability to use the phone api to handle the echo canceler?

If you know the range of echo tail sizes your normally get in calls you can switch to a manual setting that covers that range. I'm not sure what ICS will support, but either way it will be up to the device manufacturer to properly implement the api. That's why even right now some devices have no echo without the echo canceler and others do.

Dobmuy

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the app for a while now with issues. i love the app. But for the last 2 weeks I can't make outgoing call at all. I can only receive call. Same setting used to work, now no longer work. Reset the phone and the app many time still doesn't work. Reset Google voice many time still doesn't work. I went to android market to see if I can update the app. it would ask me to purchase the app again. I want to uninstall the app and reinstall the app without having to buy the app again. please help thanks

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the app for a while now with issues. i love the app. But for the last 2 weeks I can't make outgoing call at all. I can only receive call. Same setting used to work, now no longer work. Reset the phone and the app many time still doesn't work. Reset Google voice many time still doesn't work. I went to android market to see if I can update the app. it would ask me to purchase the app again. I want to uninstall the app and reinstall the app without having to buy the app again. please help thanks

Hi,

You likely have an older version of the app. You need to update to the latest version. Google made some changes to their messages. The newer versions of the app support both the old and new messages. App purchases are tied to the google account you used to purchase. If you purchased from the android market you can get the update from there. If you purchased from amazon you'll have to get the update from amazon.

Dobmuy

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I check the box on Keep the screen alive, but nothing it said calling the number but no sound of ring. I bought the app. thru android market, but when I got on there there is no button to push for update. the only button said purchase. on droid market update it did not say install or update like the rest of the apps. it just said purchase. any suggestion, thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1