GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
*Update*

Phone has been working all day today, only problem now is when I receive a call the other person can hardly hear me. Talking about my voice goes in and out, delays, echo's and cant complete full sentences.

My options are set at......

3g/4g - checked (using wifi though)
accept calls on answer - checked
echo cancellation - checked
post processing - checked
echo tail - auto
speaker volume - 0
microphone gain - (-12)

If outgoing calls are fine but incoming calls have issues try the Audio Processing checkbox first. If you're using WiFi also try Keep Screen Alive. Make sure any task killers or battery manager apps are off

Gr8NW

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
If outgoing calls are fine but incoming calls have issues try the Audio Processing checkbox first. If you're using WiFi also try Keep Screen Alive. Make sure any task killers or battery manager apps are off

Its the same for incoming and outgoing calls. I was first having issues receiving calls but that works now.

I checked that screen and I already had the following checked.....

keep screen on - checked
audio processing - checked
synchronize voice - checked

As for task killers or battery manager apps I dont have any of those installed unless they were already installed on the phone when I got it.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Its the same for incoming and outgoing calls. I was first having issues receiving calls but that works now.

I checked that screen and I already had the following checked.....

keep screen on - checked
audio processing - checked
synchronize voice - checked

As for task killers or battery manager apps I dont have any of those installed unless they were already installed on the phone when I got it.

3G or WiFi?

pacolococt

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
The lag on my Optimus V has made this app unusable for me. Once it worked great and now terrible. Once in a blue moon I can make or receive a 3G call where there is minimal lag and if I take for a minute or so it is fine. Every other time with 3G there is a noticeable delay. With WIFI the call will connect and there will be zero lag and about a minute into the call there is a huge lag. I have keep screen on checked and I have noticed that the screen isn't going off during the call. My other settings are

WiFi Tablet: Off
Synchronize Voice: Off
Audio Mode Fallback: Off
Audio Routing: Off
Mic Buffer: Medium
Partial Wake Lock: On
High Perf Wifi Lock: Off (I have 2.2.1 not 2.3)
Override STUN: Off

I have no echo so I didn't think you would need the settings I have on for that. Any ideas let me know. I have no battery saving apps, I do have advanced task killer but have GrooveIP on the ignore list and whenever I check it is always already running. Thanks for any help.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
The lag on my Optimus V has made this app unusable for me. Once it worked great and now terrible. Once in a blue moon I can make or receive a 3G call where there is minimal lag and if I take for a minute or so it is fine. Every other time with 3G there is a noticeable delay. With WIFI the call will connect and there will be zero lag and about a minute into the call there is a huge lag. I have keep screen on checked and I have noticed that the screen isn't going off during the call. My other settings are

WiFi Tablet: Off
Synchronize Voice: Off
Audio Mode Fallback: Off
Audio Routing: Off
Mic Buffer: Medium
Partial Wake Lock: On
High Perf Wifi Lock: Off (I have 2.2.1 not 2.3)
Override STUN: Off

I have no echo so I didn't think you would need the settings I have on for that. Any ideas let me know. I have no battery saving apps, I do have advanced task killer but have GrooveIP on the ignore list and whenever I check it is always already running. Thanks for any help.

Try increasing the mic buffer to x-large. Also try the Synchronize Voice checkbox. Is the device stock? You can also try a clean install of the app, uninstall the app restart the device then download and reinstall the app.

Neon01

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased this app last night for my Galaxy Nexus (GSM version) that I'm using on Tmo's $30 pre-paid plan (at the moment). I'm having a lot of difficulty with it. Seemed to work just fine last night on wifi when I just test called my wife's phone, but today I tried it on 4g/3g and I'm having a LOT of problems.

1. When I tried calling her number this morning using 4g, it would ring (she verified it rang on her end too), but when she picked up neither one of us would hear anything.

2. In between calls GrooveIP would log out of google voice and suddenly be unable to log back in. When I went into the app it prompted me for my password, which I correctly typed in, and it gave me a "incorrect username or password" error. Then several minutes later it suddenly connected successfully.

3. The app actually restarted my phone at one point - was the strangest thing, because it didn't actually hang or shut the phone off, it just went to the boot animation all of a sudden. Really weird.

4. It doesn't seem to work with my Bluetooth at all - calls made do not use my car's system, though all calls made with the stock dialer do.

I tried a variety of settings (synchronize voice, among others) with no luck, but I admit that I don't know much about what they really do, so I might have been blundering about.

Is all of this because I'm running android 4.0? Any help is appreciated.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased this app last night for my Galaxy Nexus (GSM version) that I'm using on Tmo's $30 pre-paid plan (at the moment). I'm having a lot of difficulty with it. Seemed to work just fine last night on wifi when I just test called my wife's phone, but today I tried it on 4g/3g and I'm having a LOT of problems.

1. When I tried calling her number this morning using 4g, it would ring (she verified it rang on her end too), but when she picked up neither one of us would hear anything.

2. In between calls GrooveIP would log out of google voice and suddenly be unable to log back in. When I went into the app it prompted me for my password, which I correctly typed in, and it gave me a "incorrect username or password" error. Then several minutes later it suddenly connected successfully.

3. The app actually restarted my phone at one point - was the strangest thing, because it didn't actually hang or shut the phone off, it just went to the boot animation all of a sudden. Really weird.

4. It doesn't seem to work with my Bluetooth at all - calls made do not use my car's system, though all calls made with the stock dialer do.

I tried a variety of settings (synchronize voice, among others) with no luck, but I admit that I don't know much about what they really do, so I might have been blundering about.

Is all of this because I'm running android 4.0? Any help is appreciated.

We don't have a Galaxy Nexus yet, hasn't been released on Verizon yet. But people with the GSM version have told us the app works on it. The first thing I'd suggest would be to do a clean install of the app. Uninstall the app, restart the device, then install the app. Try making calls over WiFi firsts to see if any issues are there before moving to 3G/4G

pacolococt

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I did all the steps you said including a fresh install, and i think that may have helped. I have received one call so far and there seemed to be a lot less lag and that was on 3G. BTW yes my device is stock, thank you very much for the help and if this happens again I will try the steps again.

Bukzin

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: GrooVe IP - SMS, MMS, photos

What is the latest info on texting and photos with Groove IP?

Is it working now? On the way?

Thanks!

tudsy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
New GrooveIP user with an Atrix 4G running the official Gingerbread build (sigh) and currently unable to get any functioning audio on outbound calls.
I have the following behavior:
-I can make a call from gchat in the browser
-I can dial a number, and I hear it ring (some issues with speakerphone, but that's not important for now)
-Once the call connects, I can't hear anything and the other side of the call can't hear anything.

I assume it's not a network issue since I can make the gchat call from the browser (not sure if it uses the same ports/protocols), and have tried a plethora of different combinations of audio troubleshooting settings to no avail.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Neon01

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
New GrooveIP user with an Atrix 4G running the official Gingerbread build (sigh) and currently unable to get any functioning audio on outbound calls.
-I can dial a number, and I hear it ring (some issues with speakerphone, but that's not important for now)
-Once the call connects, I can't hear anything and the other side of the call can't hear anything.

I assume it's not a network issue since I can make the gchat call from the browser (not sure if it uses the same ports/protocols), and have tried a plethora of different combinations of audio troubleshooting settings to no avail.

Had exactly the same issues at first - are you sure you're not placing the calls when the phone is only receiving EDGE (2G) service? I found that was the case most of the time when I was getting these symptoms. It's not perfect even under 3G/4G, but it works... most of the time.

I'm still trying to figure out if I can live with this on a daily basis with my Tmo prepaid plan that only gives 100 mins a month (no nights, no weekends, no nothing).

Right now my biggest hangup is that it doesn't use my car's Bluetooth like the normal dialer.

tudsy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a wifi network with all data (2/3/4g) disabled.
I suppose I should add that I'm overseas, though I doubt that matters.

Last edited:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

On the Atrix enable only Audio Processing in the troubleshooting settings. Actually, on WiFi, you can also try Keep Screen Alive. The ports the app uses for audio are UDP ports 19003 & 19004 which may be different than what the browser based gchat calling uses.

Gr8NW

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well I gave up so I ended up activating the phone and got the $35/month plan. I wanted to try Groove IP again using the 3g network seeing if that would help. I know there is an option to select Groove IP or mobile network when placing a call, but how do you get that to pop up when you receive a call? How do I know if Im using Groove IP or mobile network when I receive a call?

Thanks

tudsy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
On the Atrix enable only Audio Processing in the troubleshooting settings. Actually, on WiFi, you can also try Keep Screen Alive. The ports the app uses for audio are UDP ports 19003 & 19004 which may be different than what the browser based gchat calling uses.
Thanks, works perfectly!!

slikkk

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
how is groove ip on battery? Is it a battery hog or just like google voice app? Google voice app is amazing and doesnt drain battery ..when your phone sleeps..it sleeps as well.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Version 1.2.13:

- Fix the Allow 3G/4G calling checkbox on the Galaxy Nexus.
- Improve the dialer screen for small screens.
- Make the auto answer time configurable. (Time before app sends a '1' after you pick up an incoming call)