GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't care much for the native dialer. Is there any way to use the grooveip dialer for calls through the carrier even when I have a wifi connection?

The GrooVe IP dialer can only be used to make calls through GrooVe IP. It can't make calls through your carrier.

dennis96411

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Are you still getting the error? Are you dialing with an area code from GrooVe IP?

Just to make sure, when you dialed from gmail it was on a PC, using the "Call Phone" option under Chat?

Yes I am still getting the error. I used area code, and I called from Gmail on the PC a few times.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes I am still getting the error. I used area code, and I called from Gmail on the PC a few times.

Hm, not really sure what else to suggest. Can you try doing a clean install of the app? Uninstall the app restart the device then download and install the app.

dennis96411

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Ah, fresh install fixed my problem. One question, I'm currently in Canada right now, is calling to the US (where I got my GV number) still free over Wi-Fi?

dennis96411

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes it would still be free. I'd suggest putting your device in airplane mode and manually enabling wifi only to avoid any accidental carrier roaming charges

Cool, I'm in T-Mobile prepaid so there's no chance of using data in Canada anyway. I have airplane mode on all the time anyway, just in case. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my Samsung Exhibit II.
"Boys have swag; men have class. If you have lots of swag, your [REDACTED] haven't dropped." -Mr. Herp a Derp

darth_adversor

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
There's a whole crap-ton of posts on this thread, but I just wanted to chime in with the solution that fixed my problem. I have an Impression i10 tablet (aka the Impression P.O.S.) and Groove wasn't working for me. It would dial (if calling out) or ring (if I was being called), but the call would quickly disconnect and the sign-in screen would display. I discovered a couple of advanced options under Troubleshooting in the Settings menu that solved the problem. Selecting both "Wifi Tablet" and "Synchronize Voice" fixed the problem.

Thanks, and good luck everyone.

Reactions: snrb_labs

turketron

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I got a GSM Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile prepaid last week, and got GV and Groove IP set up the other day. I have Groove IP set up to work only over wifi and Airplane Mode is on when connected to my home wifi. Today I got a call and while I could hear them just fine, the person on the other end said I sounded to her just like a broken record and that it was very stuttery. Are there any settings I can change to alleviate this?

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
This is one of those appsni have become reliant. It is nice to have GV available.

I wonder, with the PlayBook running Android apps, if this could be ported. I recently added a Playbook to my collection (to go with my gTablet and SGS) and GrooveIP is one of the apps I miss. RIM has the tools available to port Android apps. It could make for an interesting experiment.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I got a GSM Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile prepaid last week, and got GV and Groove IP set up the other day. I have Groove IP set up to work only over wifi and Airplane Mode is on when connected to my home wifi. Today I got a call and while I could hear them just fine, the person on the other end said I sounded to her just like a broken record and that it was very stuttery. Are there any settings I can change to alleviate this?

By default the nexus puts wifi into a power saving state when the screen is off. Make sure in the advanced wifi settings that wifi is set to always on. You can also try the Keep Screen Alive setting in GrooVe IP.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
This is one of those appsni have become reliant. It is nice to have GV available.

I wonder, with the PlayBook running Android apps, if this could be ported. I recently added a Playbook to my collection (to go with my gTablet and SGS) and GrooveIP is one of the apps I miss. RIM has the tools available to port Android apps. It could make for an interesting experiment.

One of the things RIM restricted was any app with a ndk library and any VoIP apps. Unless those two restrictions are lifted I don't think running on the PlayBook would work.

andy o

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I've just noticed a very specific case of battery drain, it is testable and repeatable, at least on my phones. I have an LG Optimus V with CM7.2 and a Samsung Exhibit II 4G with CM9 (I know, they're custom ROMs but it would be nice to confirm if it happens to others).

So this is what I do:
Connect the phone to WiFi, and Groove IP gets connected. All is fine (I can wait hours without using the phone) and the battery usage drops steadily and as slow as expected. But once Groove IP gets activated by a call, even if unanswered, from then on (and after hanging up if answered) the battery drain will be much higher, until I disconnect and reconnect WiFi. Then the slow, steady drain begins again. I don't have any of the troubleshooting options checked on the Samsung, and on the LG only the Partial Wake Lock, which I seem to need since I don't have service in that phone and keep in on Airplane mode with WiFi on.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I've just noticed a very specific case of battery drain, it is testable and repeatable, at least on my phones. I have an LG Optimus V with CM7.2 and a Samsung Exhibit II 4G with CM9 (I know, they're custom ROMs but it would be nice to confirm if it happens to others).

So this is what I do:
Connect the phone to WiFi, and Groove IP gets connected. All is fine (I can wait hours without using the phone) and the battery usage drops steadily and as slow as expected. But once Groove IP gets activated by a call, even if unanswered, from then on (and after hanging up if answered) the battery drain will be much higher, until I disconnect and reconnect WiFi. Then the slow, steady drain begins again. I don't have any of the troubleshooting options checked on the Samsung, and on the LG only the Partial Wake Lock, which I seem to need since I don't have service in that phone and keep in on Airplane mode with WiFi on.

Which version of the app do you have?

MRKV

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I started using GrooVe IP and while I do like it a lot (especially with the $30 tmobile unlimited plan) I find that the call quality is what I can only describe as "tinny" sounding. Is this just how voices sound when calling through GrooVe IP or is there something I can change to help it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

andy o

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Which version of the app do you have?

Hi, I have the paid 1.2.25 version. I said it is repeatable with the Samsung phone, but I'm still testing the LG phone. It happened once, but I wanna make sure. It takes a bit longer cause I don't use it much, and has no cel service.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
One of the things RIM restricted was any app with a ndk library and any VoIP apps. Unless those two restrictions are lifted I don't think running on the PlayBook would work.

I know that Comwave has their ePhone VOIP app in App World, so it looks like the VOIP restriction has been lifted. Not sure about the ndk library, though.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed a delay in your voice output when using bluetooth in Groove IP? The people on the other end are receiving my responses about a second or two after I say it. It's annoying because I'm interrupting the normal rhythm of a conversation.

Just wondering if it's an Android issue or a problem with either Groove IP or my bluetooth headset.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed a delay in your voice output when using bluetooth in Groove IP? The people on the other end are receiving my responses about a second or two after I say it. It's annoying because I'm interrupting the normal rhythm of a conversation.

Just wondering if it's an Android issue or a problem with either Groove IP or my bluetooth headset.

GrooVe IP only calls a toggle method to request use of bluetooth. The audio routing is actually done by the OS. So it would either be an audio driver issue or something with the headset. I'd lean towards it being something in the audio driver.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
GrooVe IP only calls a toggle method to request use of bluetooth. The audio routing is actually done by the OS. So it would either be an audio driver issue or something with the headset. I'd lean towards it being something in the audio driver.

The audio driver in the OS?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol