Kids app filled with Interstitial Ads

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I have seen number of kids apps filled with interstitial ads. Very irritating for kids...

If an app is too ad-heavy, either opt for its pay-for version (if available) or find a different alternative. Developers deserve to make a living too, some opt to monetize their efforts by charging a fee, while others just rely indirectly on what they can make off of ad-revenue.

dpw09

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
The real problem here is ****ty developers (not all). Being a father I have seen your issue. Most of the kids apps are on another level from adult apps. They know kids will see a game with their face character and install. They will try to play the game and be bombarded with ads. It's not normal, they are everywhere. They popup covering the whole screen... while game is still in play... causing character death and child frustration. There is a top banner ad, there is a bottom banner ad. There is an ad when changing from game back to me u. There is a time limit popup ad.... It's ridiculous for an adult to sit through that never mind a child.
They dont care, they take the same app and release it with paw patrol characters, then they spend 10 minutes and replace them with trolls characters, then Disney characters. Same game, different faces.
Doesn't matter if game is good or if ads are irritating, when kids see the image they want it. They play for 30m and get frustrated and delete. Developer just got 50$ in advertising. Times that by a hundred kids a day. The dev is laughing.
Most of these do not have paid versions either. And since they are 9/10 apps, it's hard to find the good ones.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
The real problem here is ****ty developers (not all). Being a father...

OK, so hypothetically if your child grows up to be a game developer, than you'll be fine with others who expect him/her to work for free?
The revenue streams you're referring to apply only to big name corporations, while most developers (emphasis on 'most') make much, much less than what you're implying. Just stating that the money Google is making and equating that in some way to what an individual game developer makes is misleading. There's no dispute that ads are major problem, but that's a reality on how some things are monetized. I'll just repeat what @matthewkuhl posted, '... don't install ad-based apps if it is an issue. It's not a difficult solution here.'
Really, there are so many choices to pick from, why is this an issue? Accept that not everything will be free, often you either pay up front or incidentally (through those annoying ads). Are you working for free?

dpw09

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, so hypothetically if your child grows up to be a game developer, than you'll be fine with others who expect him/her to work for free?
The revenue streams you're referring to apply only to big name corporations, while most developers (emphasis on 'most') make much, much less than what you're implying. Just stating that the money Google is making and equating that in some way to what an individual game developer makes is misleading. There's no dispute that ads are major problem, but that's a reality on how some things are monetized. I'll just repeat what @matthewkuhl posted, '... don't install ad-based apps if it is an issue. It's not a difficult solution here.'
Really, there are so many choices to pick from, why is this an issue? Accept that not everything will be free, often you either pay up front or incidentally (through those annoying ads). Are you working for free?
I don't mind ads, and my kids can handle ads to a certain extent. I know my post was long winded but did you read it at all?
Nothing wrong with ads, they have to make money. Bombarding with ads so much that it actually interferes with the game itself is what the problem is. 4 different kinds of ads all over your screen where it's more ad than game.. Is a problem.
If my child grows up to be a developer I will hope they are intelligent in their design and not just out for a quick buck to exploit children that don't know any better.

dpw09

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree. Though ads are being displaced with the rewarded videos. So who knows what's the lesser of two evils
My little one likes the rewarded videos because so far wot the games that have those, it's simple and she gets pretty good rewards in return.
She is instructed to not click on them. She wants the 30second timer and continues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781