Sprint, Google Voice and a few questions

Aaron C#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok
Just got the notification about Google voice and Sprint.
I have a google voice account but have not done anything with it.
Based on this I think I want the "use my sprint phone number as my google voice number"

Here is my question.
I run an Evo with CM7. What do I need to change so that I continue to get visual voicemail. Is there a google voice version that I have to get? That is the #1 thing stopping me. I love having the vm stored local as a audio so i can ff, rev, pause etc.

Also, my Sprint account has 5 lines, an EVO, a Palm Pre, 3 feature phones.
Can I configure google voice for each of these or leave some alone, or is it an all or nothing proposition?

Thanks for all the help

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
When you change it to your google voice number gv forwards to your phone. Download the gv app and you will have visual voicemail on both the computer and your phone. If your lucky youll get a half assed trasncription in text.

Gv also handles the sms. But not mms. If you want sms regular you must enable text messages on that phone through gv. However you will get double notifications this way.

You chose one number for each google account. And hey. If you dont like it you can disable and go back to normal.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Let me explain a little better now that I'm on a computer typing. I've been using it for a few weeks now and I love it. Comes in handy in the house when your on the computer/ lack of service where you are (with computer access). Also, the girlfriend wanted to borrow my phone for school one day so she could use it to take pictures. I was able to set her phone up to foward all my calls and text messages to. (Could go on the website to respond using my number; it was a feature phone.) And again, give it a shot. Mess with it. If you don't like it disable it and all is normal again.

First what you do is go onto google voice. It's either upgrade account or I believe when you add a Sprint phone it will have an option to use for google voice.

You put in the number you want to use for THAT google account. (If you have other google accounts you could use your other numbers for those accounts; but, it's only going to effect the number you chose). You enable the voice + sprint and wallah. Now your google voice number is your sprint number. All your calls and text messages will go through google; then, to you. And vise versa.

Now, I'm not sure how it works without the GV app on your phone; but, here's what it does with GV app.

You download the google voice app. You pick a google account you want to use (You can sign out later and use a different one; IE, if let's say someone is with you and there phone is dead and they want to send a text message they could sign in with their account if it's synced on your phone.) From there it will prompt you to set up your voice mail by calling a number. (I believe this happens; this is what it did before this came out).

Now when someone calls you - you won't even notice a difference. It comes through like normal. All your call logs will also be saved on google voice website. Missed called, placed, etc. You voicemail will come through there; which, is visual. And I've been using for months now. Better than the one on my epic anyways. And you can play them and everything from the computer.

When you receive SMS it will no longer (at this time) come through your regular messaging app. It will come through GV. MMS will go through your regular messaging app because GV does not support MMS. If you would like to get SMS regular like you've been doing either under the phones tab on GV Website or on your GV app under notifications you would chose receive SMS on this phone. However, there is no way to disable notifications through GV app for SMS so you'll get double.

Go on the website, mess with some of the settings. Which phones to ring (At this point if that's all you've done you'll have that phone and gtalk.) when to ring, , etc.

Currently I have it set up to ring gmail and my sprint phone. I disabled text message alerts for voicemail (I guess that's for feature phones) and all the extra things you'll see when you go through the settings. I have a third phone on their but it's unchecked so it doesn't ring. You can check and uncheck anyphone you have on there to ring or not ring.

Reactions: IAmSixNine

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I decided to use my existing cell phone number that I've had for nearly 20 years on Sprint as my Google Voice number, so I wouldn't lose the number if I ever leave Sprint.

Now that the other phones on the account are eligible, I'm wondering if I do the other option on mom's phone, which is to use her GV number, which she can remember, as her Spint handset number, which she can't remember, if that number also remains as her GV number, so that if she leaves Sprint, she keeps the number. Anyone know?

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
1 more GV question

Hello, I have a few questions also, I have a gv# and primarily use it for the voicemail, but like the flexibility of giving an alternate #.

If I choose "Enable w/Sprint number" my gv # will be deleted after 90 days. This is not a problem... I can get over this.

If I choose "Enable w/my gv number" I'm thinking that my sprint phone # will be deleted after a few months as well. correct?

I'm still a little confused on the benefits/drawbacks of this feature.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I have a few questions also, I have a gv# and primaily use it for the voicemail, but like the flexibility of giving an alternate #.

If I choose "Enable w/Sprint number" my gv # will be deleted after 90 days. This is not a problem... I can get over this.

If I choose "Enable w/my gv number" I'm thinking that my sprint phone # will be deleted after a few months as well. correct?

I'm still a little confused on the benefits/drawbacks of this feature.

I dont believe that will happen. However, when i disabled my sprint number from gv it just cleared out gv and set my sprint phone back to normal. So if it did do that for whatever strange reason you could just hit disable first.

I dont think it actually takes your numbe. More of a "sync" forwarding service.

After i hit disable it just took out the number from gv which prompted me to set up a new number phone worked normal. I re added my sprint number and have been using it.

Reactions: ShaLea

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Interesting fact:

I attempted to see if boost mobile would work on another account (Does anyone know if it does; I doubt it); but, because I had that number as a phone on my GV account to forward calls to it would not allow me to add it else where.

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
OK, I made my cell # my GV#. Now I'm getting my texts thru GV when I want to receive them only thru my SMS App (GoSMS).
Does anyone what settings I have to enable/disable? FYI, the problem is thru GV, not stock SMS.

Aaron C#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
OK, I made my cell # my GV#. Now I'm getting my texts thru GV when I want to receive them only thru my SMS App (GoSMS).
Does anyone what settings I have to enable/disable? FYI, the problem is thru GV, not stock SMS.

I made the jump and had the same issue. Go into your GV settings (think its on the phone) and remove txt notifications. The txt will still go to gv (and show up on the phone app and online) but you will not see notifications, and they will also forward on to the regular sms client on the phone.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

in the android GV app, to to settings, sync and notifcations, and check the box that says Notifications via text message.

You would then want to turn off inbox notifications on your GV app, otherwise you'll get double notifications.

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I made the jump and had the same issue. Go into your GV settings (think its on the phone) and remove txt notifications. The txt will still go to gv (and show up on the phone app and online) but you will not see notifications, and they will also forward on to the regular sms client on the phone.

in the android GV app, to to settings, sync and notifcations, and check the box that says Notifications via text message.

You would then want to turn off inbox notifications on your GV app, otherwise you'll get double notifications.

Thx. I believe teh problem lies in how I retrieve the msgs. If I go thru the GV txt app, I can't view the conversation in my SMS app & vice versa.

I just unlinked/disabled the porting in my GV settings on the PC and still have the 2 phone #s.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Thx. I believe teh problem lies in how I retrieve the msgs. If I go thru the GV txt app, I can't view the conversation in my SMS app & vice versa.

I just unlinked/disabled the porting in my GV settings on the PC and still have the 2 phone #s.

With the integration, if you send a text via a messaging app (e.g. handcent, gosms...) it should show up in both apps, but if you send a text via the GV app, it will only show up in that app. When you receive a text, it should show up in both (as long as GV is configured to forward SMS)

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
With the integration, if you send a text via a messaging app (e.g. handcent, gosms...) it should show up in both apps, but if you send a text via the GV app, it will only show up in that app. When you receive a text, it should show up in both (as long as GV is configured to forward SMS)

When I get a notification in my status bar, I see 2 notifications (GV & GoSMS). Whichever 1 I click, I am forwarded to the respective app (GV, GoSMS, etc.). If I go into my stock msg app, I only see msgs replied to via GoSMS.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
OK set up my Sprint number with Google voice and now everytime I get a phone call it tells my I have to press 1 to answer. Is there any way to disable that where it will just answer when i swipe to answer?

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781