What is the number in the orange circle on the top right of the Messenger icon?

Gornvix

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
What is the number in the orange circle on the top right of the Messenger icon (what does it mean), and how do you get rid of it (are you supposed to do something, what) ?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
That's called a "badge", it usually indicates unread messages or notifications for that app. Not all devices have that feature, the device manufacturer adds it through their own methods if they decide to include it as it is not a native part of Android at this time.

As for clearing it? See if you have any unread messages in the app. If you don't, I've heard there's a BadgeProvider service or app that can be stopped and restarted that may fix it also. Some Google apps just may not play nice with it as it's not a native Google feature.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Probably an 'unread' count. Do you have any unread messages? Only way to get rid of it is if your launcher supports either disabling read counters or flat-out doesn't support read counters at all.

Gornvix

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
I've looked in Messenger for unread messages, I can't find them. There are items under the "messages" section, but looking at them by pressing does not change the count. There are three sections in Messenger: "messages", "active" and "groups", there is another number next to "active". I couldn't find "badge" or "BadgeProvider" in the Application Manager.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh, FACEBOOK'S Messenger! Have you tried force-closing the app? I also see a 'calls' section on mine. If you log into your Facebook account on a web browser, do you see any unread counters there? Or any messages you might not be seeing on the app?

Gornvix

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I tried force closing Messenger. Another thing is that the number switches back and forth between 2 and 9. I've cleared notifications on Facebook itself by clicking or pressing to read them, it seems to make no difference to Messenger.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Last thing I'd try is uninstalling Messenger (or logging out) and re-installing. I really don't know why this would be happening, but those circles are definitely coming from the app, and it's obviously misreporting the unread count. My launcher doesn't do unread count badges so I don't have that issue.

Also, Facebook notifications aren't tied to the Messenger app (only the message notifications on the website).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, problem is that chat through the Facebook app is no longer possible. Weird that you cannot find the app on the Play Store, though. If you tap on a message on your Facebook app, however, it should prompt you to install the Messenger app and link you to the download page.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
lol, I just uninstalled it and now I can't find it in the app store. Maybe I'm better off without it.

Just realized... did you ever check your contact's 'Days'? It's like Instagram's stories or Snapchats whatever-they-are-called-there. They're daily shares your contacts make that only 'live' for 24 hours. Those show up as unread messages sometimes (yes, I know, annoying as hell!) and that also might explain why the number fluctuates.

Gornvix

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
After reinstalling I found out how to get rid of the number. I had to go into Facebook on my computer, click on the messenger icon and then click "Mark All Read". I have no idea if this can be achieved with just a phone.

Arvind Aserkar

May 17, 2018
Visit site
The number is 1 indicating that there is one new message but when I open the messages there is none. However that one stands permanently and when new message arrive it shows 2 in circle and then there is a message. Can u suggest me a solution to enable me to get rid of the same.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The number is 1 indicating that there is one new message but when I open the messages there is none. However that one stands permanently and when new message arrive it shows 2 in circle and then there is a message. Can u suggest me a solution to enable me to get rid of the same.
There could be message requests. I found this out exploring. It turns out that if you have your profile to private and a non contact/friend tries to message you, you ger a message request.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch