Need a Camera App - Specific Requirements

buzzard75

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm returning to Android after having been away for a while and haven't kept up with the apps available for the platform. I'm looking for a camera app with a really good intervalometer that allows for really long exposures, up to five minutes, or a bulb mode, and has good control over other settings like the ISO and exposure compensation. My phone's default camera app is completely lacking in any pro controls.

I have Camera FV-5, which is a decent enough app, but the shutter setting only allows me to leave the shutter open for 0.6 seconds, not nearly long enough. And the intervalometer function isn't a true intervalometer meant for images and is more geared towards time lapse video. Time lapse video and long exposure photography are two totally different things. The videos and reviews I read of the app include features that are apparently no longer present in the app or have been changed. I'm actually somewhat disappointed that I paid money for the app now that I have to go and find something different. Feeling a little misled.

In a sea of camera apps that let people put animal ears on their heads and sprinkle them with fairy dust using filters, it's unfortunate that it's so difficult to find a decent app that gives you more control over your camera like that of a DSLR.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The 0.6 might be a hardware limitation; On my Pixel XL running Android O beta, Camera Zoom FX also maxes out at 1/1.5 (0.666 seconds).

However, Camera Zoom FX has a Time Lapse mode that might suit your other question, with settings up to 240 seconds between shots.

buzzard75

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks! I also have the Pixel XL. So Camera Zoom FX is out for me then. I don't know what the hardware limitation would be though or why it would even exist. I imagine the sensor will heat up and start to introduce noise, but that can be filtered and removed in post with some more advanced techniques.

I find it hard to believe there isn't something out there that allows exposures of at least 5 seconds. I don't know how 1/6 of a second can even be considered long exposure. I understand there isn't a high demand for long exposure for smartphone cameras because that's not how they're typically used. They're handheld devices that you whip out to take a quick snapshot like a point and shoot. I get it. But some people like to be creative and have more control over their composition and sometimes 1/6 of a second just isn't enough to give you the effect you want. You can't tell me it would take much to write a few more lines of code to allow the shutter to stay open 5, 10, 15, or even 30 seconds.

When using a DSLR, most limit the long exposure to 30 seconds in the presets for shutter priority. If you want to go beyond that you need to put the camera into bulb mode. It's why it exists. Basically bulb mode keeps your shutter open until you tell it to close. That's where the intervalometer comes in. You can program it to activate and deactivate the shutter at a specific interval for a specific number of cycles. For those that don't know what bulb mode is or how intervalometers typically work.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Camera Zoom FX *DOES* however allow you to adjust Exposure Value in a range of -2.0 to + 2.0 and ISO from 50 to 12800.

Those two combined might allow you to work around the "short" shutter speed (depending, of course, on what effect you are trying to accomplish.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11