using pre-set Directions in Google Maps?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
With a golf tournament in town, i've had to take unusual routes home to avoid traffic.
so, i set my destination online in Google Maps, moved the blue line to avoid highways & the tournament, and saved my route.

I can pull up this route in my Maps application (through Layers), but i'm wondering why i can't have the phone guide me using THOSE pre-determined set of directions. as soon as i hit Navigate, it takes me to using the highway again. further customization of this (settings>no highways/toll roads) still takes me a different route than what i want.

anyone have an idea how to navigate to a place using pre-saved Custom directions? this kind of makes the idea of saving custom map directions useless for android...it seems the only use would be to print out those directions---and i'm nowhere near a printer.

Last edited:

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Nope. You can follow the map in Google Maps but you can't get nav to follow it. Not sure if any of the other nav apps allow this but if it's a must have you'll have to look into the alternatives.

wow. thank you Google for making this feature either extremely hidden or not available :)
It's free. It's a beta. If you don't like it, use one of the alternatives or submit your feature request to Google. Google Maps Nav isn't the only option out there.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i understand it's in beta, and there are other options--i'm just surprised it's a feature available online but not transferrable (to be put into full action) on the phone. it's visible in layers, but not exactly usable.

it's still the best navigation service out there, i'm just sad it's not able to incorporate customization to that extent.

here's hoping for it in an update.

Last edited:

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Very easy to find, just click on the invisible Help link. ;-)

Seriously, why do you need predefined routs? Doesn't Google Nav use the current traffic conditions to optimize the route?

i saved a particular route that was along backroads--away from the highway (i know, "avoid highway" option--but it routes me at 1.5hours on a side-road instead of this 45 minute route along another road)
so, i made a reasonable/quick route--and saved it.

i know Google is normally pretty good at its directions with Traffic View & routing around traffic--but the particular stretch of road i was attempting to avoid was showing Green as i sat in 1mph traffic, and the nearest interstate is a joke from 4-8pm. this alternate route wasn't shown on Google and of the 3 alternate routes that were shown, 2 of them were highway routes with 1 different exit between the two.

either way--i think it's odd that you can't navigate with pre-set directions from Google webpage.

this would also be usable in the event that you took a particular route or were told to take a specific route b/c you planned it for specific gas stations/landmarks/scenic overlooks, made that map on Google.com/maps, and then were confident in those directions.

it kind of makes me question the point, to a further extent, the purpose of saving maps if you can't tell Google to take you in those directions.

apart from that, Google Nav is by far the best i've used.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463