I'm a bit confused as to how Amazon apps work along wiht apps purchased from the market. I have taken advantage of the free app of the day a few times and here are the "issues" I'm having:

Can't get those apps of the day updated through the market as I'm told I have to purchase the app first (is there a way to update them?)

Can't rate the apps on Appbrain as Appbrain doesn't seem to think I have them (yes, I did sync).

Anyone willing to share any info they might have?

Thanks.
    05-09-2011 01:16 PM
    I don't believe they are linked w/one another (Amazon & Android Market). There is a tab in the Amazon Appstore that is pretty prompt in updating apps.
    rustypixel likes this.
    05-09-2011 02:34 PM
    I'm a bit confused as to how Amazon apps work along wiht apps purchased from the market. I have taken advantage of the free app of the day a few times and here are the "issues" I'm having:

Can't get those apps of the day updated through the market as I'm told I have to purchase the app first (is there a way to update them?)

Can't rate the apps on Appbrain as Appbrain doesn't seem to think I have them (yes, I did sync).

Anyone willing to share any info they might have?

Thanks.
    Amazon is an entirely different market system. Amazon and Android Market do not communicate with each other. AppBrain is really nothing more than a portal/front-end to the Android Market and so doesn't communicate with Amazon either, but it does look at what apps you have installed on your device regardless where it came from, and compares it to the Android Market version. Often resulting in mistakenly thinking there's an update for the app when in reality there isn't, since the Market and Amazon will have 2 different build/version numbers. AppBrain also makes the same mistake if you install an app manually (ie.. straight from the developer instead of via market).

To update apps you installed via Amazon Appstore, you update it through the Amazon app and not Android Market.
    rustypixel likes this.
    05-09-2011 02:38 PM
    Thanks for the replies and clarification. Makes sense.
    05-09-2011 03:19 PM
    Anyone know whether apps obtained from the Amazon Appstore can be re-installed on a replacement phone and/or on a phone that has been 'factory reset'?
    05-17-2011 02:23 PM
    Anyone know whether apps obtained from the Amazon Appstore can be re-installed on a replacement phone and/or on a phone that has been 'factory reset'?

Yes... they are attached to your Amazon account. More than one person can you the same apps too.
    05-17-2011 02:29 PM
    I am curious as I installed Trillian when it was "Free App of the Day". It has since been updated in the Marketplace (a different version) which is now free but not in Amazon. Is there a delay on some apps being updated on Amazon or for something like Trillian do I now need to download from the Market to get the latest version?

Doc
    05-19-2011 03:57 PM
    I am curious as I installed Trillian when it was "Free App of the Day". It has since been updated in the Marketplace (a different version) which is now free but not in Amazon. Is there a delay on some apps being updated on Amazon or for something like Trillian do I now need to download from the Market to get the latest version?

Doc
    If the Amazon version doesn't show an update it's because they haven't approved the update yet. Amazon's app store runs quality control checks on apps submitted, unlike the android market where anybody can put up whatever they want.

I have noticed that my Amazon app doesn't always notify me of updates, I sometimes have to check for updates manually... Menu -> My Apps -> Update Available.
    05-19-2011 06:14 PM
    To piggy back on ^his comments, that is why it takes longer to get the updates from amazon than it is from android market.

That is my only gripe with amazon. But, when you offer up 1 free a day, I can't complain too much you know?
    05-20-2011 03:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD