Sorry! Whatsapp is unable to restore any of your message backups

OnlyMe85

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
Hello

I'm using whatapp for few years and have alot of chats and importand information on my device.

I'm using Galaxy S8 but i need to go back to my old S6 and I need to copy all the data to the new one.

i'm tried to copy all the DB files, to copy only 'msgstore.db.crypt12', tried using Google Drive, tried using SD card... and i got error msg while opening the backup 'Sorry! Whatsapp is unable to restore any of your message backups'

Just to understand, i got more than 500,000 msgs in the DB file.
i read all the FAQ in WhatsApp website and tried everying.

need your help... and please, don't send me back to the FAQ and don't copy-paste me the instraucaion how to copy the DB file.

is there any software that can check what's is wrong in my DB file?
Is there anything i can do??

Thanks
Nadav

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any actual WhatsApp backup files?

As the FAQ says, they should have names like messageStore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
PS: The "backup" that you are trying to "restore" - msgstore.db.crypt12 - is not a backup at all; it is the live database.

You need to restore one of the dated backup files, just like the FAQ says. If you don't have any dated backup files, well, that is an entirely different problem.

Let us know.

OnlyMe85

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
N4Newbie, i got the full directory with the live DB and the 7 days back in the cell phone under \Whatsapp\databases folder

i tried to restore the DB using the files and when it didn't work i tried using Google Drive backup

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
N4Newbie, i got the full directory with the live DB and the 7 days back in the cell phone under \Whatsapp\databases folder

i tried to restore the DB using the files and when it didn't work i tried using Google Drive backup

How big are the dated files? And, to be clear, you tried restoring one of those by selecting it?

Did you try contacting help@support.whatsapp.com

OnlyMe85

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
How big are the dated files? And, to be clear, you tried restoring one of those by selecting it?

Did you try contacting help@support.whatsapp.com

The DB file is 310MB.

i did a manual backup on the old cell phone and on Google Drive - copy to the new cell and rename the DB file

1st i was told that there is backup in google drive, i dl 310 mb but it stuck at 31% of the recovry... it pop question about 'do you wanna recover from local file' and when i press YES it writes '100% recover msg' but nothing happens on screen...

i did contact WhatsApp support... got automatic answer with link to the FAQ and when i remailed tham i got answer that 'we don't save your chats' and other uselsee answers

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The DB file is 310MB.

i did a manual backup on the old cell phone and on Google Drive - copy to the new cell and rename the DB file

1st i was told that there is backup in google drive, i dl 310 mb but it stuck at 31% of the recovry... it pop question about 'do you wanna recover from local file' and when i press YES it writes '100% recover msg' but nothing happens on screen...

i did contact WhatsApp support... got automatic answer with link to the FAQ and when i remailed tham i got answer that 'we don't save your chats' and other uselsee answers

Why did you have to rename the file?

From what I can see, you should copy all (or, really, only the last) the dated backups to the new device and then do the WhatsApp restore process, selecting the *dated* file that you want to use.

The dated files are *backups*, the non-dated "msgstore.db.crypt12" file is the live database. If I understand you correctly, you renamed one of the dated *backup* files to "msgstore.db.crypt12" in which case the resulting file probably does not match the expected file type.

The entire thing sounds a mess. :)

Go back to https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/bb10/28020002 and start over.

OnlyMe85

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
Been there, done that... not working :( stuck at 31% of recovery...

Is there any software to mak sure that my DB is not corrupted or something?

Sonia5

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Hi, did you find any solution? I have the same exact problem with my S8. Stuck at 31% on Google drive backup and then gets stuck on restoring messages (100%) but nothing happens after that. Either it starts without my previous chats or again begins with google drive back up and the loop goes on. I've tried everything!

EduardoFerrariNCUSA

Dec 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi, did you find any solution? I have the same exact problem with my S8. Stuck at 31% on Google drive backup and then gets stuck on restoring messages (100%) but nothing happens after that. Either it starts without my previous chats or again begins with google drive back up and the loop goes on. I've tried everything!

I have the exact same issue, I opened a thread as well. WhatsApp support is useless.

alex dal

Jan 7, 2018
Visit site
Hi Gents,

Has anyone been able to work around this issue, can we migrate whatsapp history between android major releases?

I am trying to migrate from Note 4 to Note 8 with exact same problem, Note 4 is on Android 6 while Note 8 is on 7.

Thanks!

Tushar Patil

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello fellas,

I 1st faced issue of duplicate whatsapp contacts on my OnePlus 5T device, to resolve it, I decide to resinstall Whatsapp. I took google drive backup and copy pasted local databases files. But now unable to restore as it gets stuck at 24% and next option pops up is of restoring old backup which is local db file of 130 mb placed in device under WhatsApp\Databases\ folder

This local back restoring process takes forever.

Anyone found viable solution over bacup restoration process? Help will be highly appreciated. And WhatsApp developers should look into these issues as incidents are at surge...

Niharika9

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
Hello fellas,

I 1st faced issue of duplicate whatsapp contacts on my OnePlus 5T device, to resolve it, I decide to resinstall Whatsapp. I took google drive backup and copy pasted local databases files. But now unable to restore as it gets stuck at 24% and next option pops up is of restoring old backup which is local db file of 130 mb placed in device under WhatsApp\Databases\ folder

This local back restoring process takes forever.

Anyone found viable solution over bacup restoration process? Help will be highly appreciated. And WhatsApp developers should look into these issues as incidents are at surge...

I am facing the exact same issue. Mine also gets stuck at 24%. I am trying to do this on my OnePlus 6. Did you find any solution?

Haf5

Aug 3, 2018
Visit site
Can you explain that whole process of using a less recent local backup to restore messages? I don't quite get it on WhatsApp FAQ

Cabus

Aug 25, 2018
Visit site
Same error here. It seems that whatsapp database are corrupted. I have a full copy from my Cloud (Whatsapp Google Drive Extractor) and I used this copy to try restore it with fresh Whatsapp app install but the stuck in 24% happens again...

turtlez86

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Got the same problem, and it remains unsolvable. Just to summarize the desperate number of things I did (and still failed) after many like 8 days of trying (and anguish of waiting for 24 hours for the stupid whatsapp hp verification code), before trying again, and getting stupid errors mentioned above (failing multiple times, then finally "successfully restores 851,584 messages", then getting no messages appearing, besides those new ones that is sent to us while we are restoring the messages.

Some add on facts.
- Whatsapp help email is TOTALLY USELESS. They can only tell you the same things on their FAQ, even when you emailed them that you tried all, and is there anything else. Waste of time even if you want to ask for other options, or to release the verification wait time so you can try again other methods.
- Restoring on a even later version of Pixel (Google phone), doesn't work. Yet to try older whatsapp versions, but may have a hard time finding....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz