Problems with Stock Internet Browser

mwlevey

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys:

I'm a newbie on this site running Android 2.2.2 on an HTC Aria (AT&T network)

Last week I started having problems loading some "mobile" sites using the stock browser. The two sites I'm having problems with account for about 1/2 my data use for work.

Instead of rendering the site, my phone renders text that looks like the html code for the site.

General Troubleshooting Facts
1) Occurs on multiple phones (my wifes phone too running 2.1)
2) Occurs over AT&T's 3g network AND home Wifi
3) Occurs in Skyfire 4.0, Dolphin HD, but NOT Opera Mobile 11.0
4) The 2 Websites seem to work normally on my laptop using Firefox (mobile.pgatour.com and m.golf.com)
5) AT&T had me do a hard reset and that did not help.

Anyone else have this problem? Any idea how to fix?

I only ask because the stock browser seems to be the best.

Thanks in advance for any help.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
if you visit the full version (desktop) of the site, from your phone, does it still display the content in html code?

i prefer Dolphin HD to stock, but to each his/her own.
in DolphinHD, (might be able to in Stock browser), you can change view from Mobile to Desktop view for pages. it might be something worth looking into.of course, you don't get the minimalist version of the website, stripped down for faster viewing, but at least you'll get something readable vs. html jargon

mwlevey

May 11, 2011
Visit site
The Full Version works ok. I do have the "mobile view" enabled for websites.

I'm just trying to figure out if the problem that just started last week is on my phone, network, or the sites individually.

Thanks for the response.

p.s. Opera Mobile seemed to work ok even on the mobile site, but its much slower. Dolphin seemed to have the same problem as the native browser.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The Full Version works ok. I do have the "mobile view" enabled for websites.

I'm just trying to figure out if the problem that just started last week is on my phone, network, or the sites individually.

Thanks for the response.

p.s. Opera Mobile seemed to work ok even on the mobile site, but its much slower. Dolphin seemed to have the same problem as the native browser.

ok, try this:
home screen>menu>settings>applications>manage applications>all applications>Internet (apps are alphabetical, scroll down pretty far to get to Internet)>clear Cache & Clear Data

this will eliminate the possibility that the phone is running from a cached view of those webpages & isn't allowing you to view them correctly.

this method works for most problems encountered in most apps on Android

Last edited:

mwlevey

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I definitely appreciate your help.

Tried clearing cache. That didn't work either.

I'm beginning to think that the two websites i had problems with made changes last week which aren't compatible with the stock browser.

I ran across this page:

IE 6 renders a blank page on XHTML-style script end tag ? The Sarth Repository

which talks of a similar problem in IE. I'm no expert, but it sounds like a similar problem.

Out of curiosity, did you try going to mobile.pgatour.com on your Android phone using the stock browser?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I definitely appreciate your help.

Tried clearing cache. That didn't work either.

I'm beginning to think that the two websites i had problems with made changes last week which aren't compatible with the stock browser.

I ran across this page:

IE 6 renders a blank page on XHTML-style script end tag ? The Sarth Repository

which talks of a similar problem in IE. I'm no expert, but it sounds like a similar problem.

Out of curiosity, did you try going to mobile.pgatour.com on your Android phone using the stock browser?

i think it might be the webpage--i'm on 4G, using stock browser, and i'm unable to even get it to load.
i opened a new tab & was able to visit 4 other webpages while mobile.pgatour.com kept attempting to load--and now it's teling me that it's not available.

actually--try this

pgatour.com

i typed that into the stock browser--and it brought me to the mobile.pgatour.com webpage that was 3 seconds earlier unavailable
just tried this again & it worked a second time.

Also--just typed "golf.com" instead of "m.golf.com" and the "golf.com" was redirected to "m.golf.com" and it's showing up completely fine.

did that work for you?

mwlevey

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Nope.

If I uncheck "Mobile View" in the stock browser Settings, and then type pgatour.com or golf.com, I can get the "Full" versions of the websites to load just fine just not the "mobile" versions.

Weird.

I've resigned to the fact that I'm either looking at the full version with the stock browser or using Opera to look at the mobile.

I just don't like the fact that it doesn't work the way it's supposed to (and how it worked a week ago) and I know it.

It's got to be some sort of update on the individual sites.

Thanks for all the help.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
sorry. if you don't mind my asking, what HTML do you get?
is it the standard,
"webpage not available
the webpage at http://m.golf.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permenantly to a new web address.
here are some suggestions: "

hmm..if you have "mobile view" Checked & type in "pgatour.com" but still don't get redirected to the mobile view--then i'm out of ideas. we already tried clearing the caches/data. oy.

if it's actual html code--then it's the app's problem & not the network. sorry i couldn't help you resolve it.

mwlevey

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I really appreciate all the help.

It's actual code. Pages worth.

Not the message you put above.

It starts with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.2//EN" "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD

...and so on

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
m.pgatour.com fails on my EVO but mobile.pgatour.com works.

In the browser window, when you tap Menu and go to the bottom, ha e you tapped Reset to Default?

Also, same location, have you checked Website Settings (Just above Reset To Default) to ensure that no specific settings are saved for those two sites?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781