Is there any WhatsApp like messaging app to send full size images and videos

kamalashraf

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Please tell me if there is an app like WhatsApp which sends full size (original quality) images and videos without compression. I don't want to send any cloud storage link of images or videos.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Every IM app/service will only let you send out compressed media. Whatsapp, however, now allows document transfer (with size limits)... you might be able to send an uncompressed media file that way (haven't tried it, so not sure).

A Bochur

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
Well there we go the op can use telegram to send videos in full quality

Or send it by WhatsApp just remove the .mp4 extension before sending. Am i right?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well there we go the op can use telegram to send videos in full quality

Or send it by WhatsApp just remove the .mp4 extension before sending. Am i right?

Not sure if Telegram will detect the video as media if you try to send it as a file. I don't even know if Whatsapp will, either. Both can send uncompressed files that way, but if you send as media through their media option (or share menus), both will compress it before sending.

A Bochur

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
it won't send as a video if you remove .mp4 so the receiver will have to add the .mp4 back again. not ideal but workable

DerHof

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Does every one have unlimited data?

Well no, but I'm sure many more people do these days... But even if you don't then just don't try and send 10meg+ files.
My point is I can stream giant YouTube videos or watch a full movie on Netflix which can translate gigs of data but I can't shoot a 20meg video and send it if I want without it being compressed and looking like ****... Even if I'm on wifi.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well no, but I'm sure many more people do these days... But even if you don't then just don't try and send 10meg+ files.
My point is I can stream giant YouTube videos or watch a full movie on Netflix which can translate gigs of data but I can't shoot a 20meg video and send it if I want without it being compressed and looking like ****... Even if I'm on wifi.

Because the fact that you pay for unlimited data with your carrier or internet provider doesn't have anything to do with the underlying messaging service you're using: you're not paying 'unlimited data' for Whatsapp's or Telegram's or whomever-else's servers, and they pay for traffic. So, the services need to put limits on their file transfers. If you want to transfer tons of files, then IM isn't the platform, there are other means (like cloud services, torrent sharing, etc.).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Even Gmail is limited to 25MB attachments.

If you don't want it compressed, upload it somewhere (Drive, Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, etc.) and send a link.

DerHof

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Because the fact that you pay for unlimited data with your carrier or internet provider doesn't have anything to do with the underlying messaging service you're using: you're not paying 'unlimited data' for Whatsapp's or Telegram's or whomever-else's servers, and they pay for traffic. So, the services need to put limits on their file transfers. If you want to transfer tons of files, then IM isn't the platform, there are other means (like cloud services, torrent sharing, etc.).

Ok, gotcha. I was under the impression that the provider was enforcing these restrictions.
On another note since you brought it up... Whatsapp, which I use regularly... Free app with no ads.
Based on what you said I assume that they are somehow paying for 'traffic'... how are they making money when its a free app... with no ads?

Even Gmail is limited to 25MB attachments.

If you don't want it compressed, upload it somewhere (Drive, Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, etc.) and send a link.

Yeah, I have a dropbox account and the situation I mentioned generally isn't an issue with me. I was just curious as to why it was the way it is.

So, moving off subject again... I can't imagine that this 'paying for traffic' would apply to email from a PC... why are we limited to file size in that regard... or why is the file limit so small... I mean these days 10-25 meg isn't much....

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok, gotcha. I was under the impression that the provider was enforcing these restrictions.
On another note since you brought it up... Whatsapp, which I use regularly... Free app with no ads.
Based on what you said I assume that they are somehow paying for 'traffic'... how are they making money when its a free app... with no ads?

Yeah, I have a dropbox account and the situation I mentioned generally isn't an issue with me. I was just curious as to why it was the way it is.

So, moving off subject again... I can't imagine that this 'paying for traffic' would apply to email from a PC... why are we limited to file size in that regard... or why is the file limit so small... I mean these days 10-25 meg isn't much....

As for Whatsapp, they make money off what most apps do now: your data. They know who you are, your phone number, they know who you talk to, their numbers, they know social media affiliations, they know what kind of GIFs you like to send, they know where you are when you share a location, and they are introducing services that do make them money (from 3rd parties) like payment transactions, etc.

As for e-mail, same thing, when you send out ANYTHING, including e-mail, it goes through a server and is stored in a server (look at your GMail account, you'll see a disk space quota there, too!). And e-mail servers are not meant to do large file transfers, especially free ones (only private ones or paid services allow for larger file transfers). Your connection might not be a problem, the servers and services might.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad