Hey guys, I am starting a new thread because I would like to get your opinions for me based on what I'm looking for.

I would like to know what backup / restore program (preferably free as I know some free programs are just as good if not better then the paid) I should get for my Android. I have an Inspire by AT&T and I would like a backup program that would allow me to backup all personal data and apps, contacts, bookmarks, sms msgs, emails, phone settings, pics, music. I know that there are back ups for some of these by nature of the app, for example I know my email and contacts are all backed up to gmail as that is what I use for my email, however, I would like to have a singular place to back everything up. I do not have a rooted phone as I don't think I really have a need for it since even though I have an ATT phone I can use Sideload to install non market apps. I suppose if anyone is interested in giving me any other tips, tricks, or thoughts on any other apps thought of as must have can be listed in this thread here as well. I am new to Droid phones as I spent the last 10+ years with Crackberry's since thats what my company gave me, but since I am not there anymore I decided to get myself the best phone on the market and that in my opinion is a Droid!

Also how important is having a virus / malware app? Are there really enough threats out there? If so, I was thinking of installing AVG as I love their PC client.

Thanks in advance guys for any insight yall can give!

Enduser2941
    05-15-2011 11:09 PM
    Hey guys, I am starting a new thread because I would like to get your opinions for me based on what I'm looking for.

I would like to know what backup / restore program (preferably free as I know some free programs are just as good if not better then the paid) I should get for my Android. I have an Inspire by AT&T and I would like a backup program that would allow me to backup all personal data and apps, contacts, bookmarks, sms msgs, emails, phone settings, pics, music. I know that there are back ups for some of these by nature of the app, for example I know my email and contacts are all backed up to gmail as that is what I use for my email, however, I would like to have a singular place to back everything up. I do not have a rooted phone as I don't think I really have a need for it since even though I have an ATT phone I can use Sideload to install non market apps. I suppose if anyone is interested in giving me any other tips, tricks, or thoughts on any other apps thought of as must have can be listed in this thread here as well. I am new to Droid phones as I spent the last 10+ years with Crackberry's since thats what my company gave me, but since I am not there anymore I decided to get myself the best phone on the market and that in my opinion is a Droid!

Also how important is having a virus / malware app? Are there really enough threats out there? If so, I was thinking of installing AVG as I love their PC client.

Thanks in advance guys for any insight yall can give!

Enduser2941

Take a look at My Backup. They have a 30 Day trial and to purchase the app is only $4.99. I've been using it for a while and have had good luck with it. I'm not sure this is what you are looking for but its worth taking a look.

Here's a link: https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
    05-16-2011 08:31 AM
    Thanks IIJBII! I took a look at that but also looked at the reviews and people are saying its not restoring properly. I dont know if thats true or not I dont want to try it yet with such bad reviews Do you use it yourself and have you tried restoring with it?
    05-16-2011 03:47 PM
    Thanks IIJBII! I took a look at that but also looked at the reviews and people are saying its not restoring properly. I dont know if thats true or not I dont want to try it yet with such bad reviews Do you use it yourself and have you tried restoring with it?
    I use and have had great luck with it. Just used it again today after flasing a new rom. The other you will hear about is titanium backup, but you need to be rooted to use it, which is why I suggested My Backup or My Backup Pro (the paid version). To me its easier to use then titanium and with the 30 day trial you can test it out. I would try it out of I were you. I generally don't go on too many reviews on the market and rather feedback from forums. Some people rate apps based on what they expected without reading a the details.
    05-16-2011 06:32 PM
    I use Titanium Backup Pro and have no problems with backing up and restoring. I've also heard good things about Mybackup Pro, which offers an excellent trial time. Try the free version of both and see how they work for you. Since you are rooted there should be a feature to create a "Nandroid" backup, correct? I'm not familiar with the Inspire, but I'd think it would have a nandroid feature. If so, make a backup in recovery and keep on file just in case neither of the two apps do what you want to do.
    05-16-2011 07:54 PM
    Thanks guys. Im trying MyBackup pro now and it seems to do exactly what I'm looking for. I will report back here of any issues I run across with it. As a side note part of my original question was about virus and malware, is there really enough out there to warrant a scanner like avg? and if so which would be good? I like AVG for PC but I cant begin to tell you how well it would work on the droid. Thanks.
    05-17-2011 11:53 PM