Tapatalk vs Tapatalk Pro

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
After using Tapatalk for a bit (couple of years, really) I noticed Tapatalk Pro. Thought I'd give it a try, no ads and $ directly to the developer (?).

WTF. The "Pro" version is awful. It didn't pick up my Tapatalk settings, accounts, etc. And several of the selections I had made were so different to be unusable. Thumbs down IMHO unless somebody can tell me what I did wrong?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't know...

Reading the Play Store feedback for both the Pro and non-Pro versions, I get the feeling that your unwanted changes apply to both. Lots of recent complaints there.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Is that all that's wrong with it? Well get this...

For Tapatalk Users Concerned About Security

From another site:

Tapatalk is a mobile browsing app which allows people to browse parts of (our forum) in a mobile friendly way. Since its competitor is no longer operating, Tapatalk has become the only App of its kind. It seems that they are taking advantage of this situation in a dangerous way.

Over the course of the last months, Tapatalk has become more and more intrusive and with disregard to member privacy.
Here are some of the changes:

TT started to divert users to login through their own login function instead of (our forum) login.
TT showed advertising even though we opted out.
Tapatalk did not alert us about a security vulnerability for months. This vulnerability could have allowed attackers to gain access to your phone/ credentials.
The TT search function is now diluted with results from other websites.
By default TT uploads images to TT instead of (our forum). We turned this off.
TT keeps removing our usergroup permissions.
TT keeps adding annoying popups to the site, which we keep removing.
We discovered that TT seems to be using a copy of our content on their servers. They have not asked permission for this.

These events have made clear that we would stop offering Tapatalk once the new site is online.
However, Tapatalk has now announced that they will start emailing our members regularly. There is no reason whatsoever for a mobile app to start emailing members. We did not give Tapatalk permission to make use of any of our member data and will take legal action against Tapatalk if they do anything of such kind.

In light of the above I am now removing Tapatalk from this site. I apologize to those who enjoy the functionality.

I strongly advise anyone to remove Tapatalk from their devices.
From another forum:
Tapatalk support dropped due to privacy & security violations

And from another forum.......

Dear (forum) Community,

We're officially dropping support for Tapatalk for our forum due to recent privacy & security violations by Tapatalk.

The Tapatalk plugin comes with a function that is turned on by default without the consent of the server administrators and a proper option to disable it. This function reads data from the database (such as your e-mail address, name and whatever else is stored in the forum database) and sends this data to the Tapatalk server without our consent!

Tapatalk comments that this is necessary for their "Trending posts, threads and etc... e-mails" to send e-mails to users about trending content. The most shocking however is that it is nowhere stated and explained. They say it's a beta. So Tapatalk has access to the whole forum database without ever asking for consent. Moreover this feature can only be disabled in the plugin configuration file. Who is looking for a option in ACP (Admin Control Panel) of the forum will have bad luck and find absolutely nothing.

This violations are not something we're going to forgive or accept. Therefore we've deactivated and fully uninstalled Tapatalk from our forum and server.

I've not been able to find something about this in English because so far only a German forum has uncovered this spying tool.

Sources:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/T...16662.html
http://www.computerhilfen.de/news/tapata...67130.html

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Is that all that's wrong with it? Well get this...

For Tapatalk Users Concerned About Security

From another site:

Tapatalk is a mobile browsing app which allows people to browse parts of (our forum) in a mobile friendly way. Since its competitor is no longer operating, Tapatalk has become the only App of its kind. It seems that they are taking advantage of this situation in a dangerous way.

Over the course of the last months, Tapatalk has become more and more intrusive and with disregard to member privacy.
Here are some of the changes:

TT started to divert users to login through their own login function instead of (our forum) login.
TT showed advertising even though we opted out.
Tapatalk did not alert us about a security vulnerability for months. This vulnerability could have allowed attackers to gain access to your phone/ credentials.
The TT search function is now diluted with results from other websites.
By default TT uploads images to TT instead of (our forum). We turned this off.
TT keeps removing our usergroup permissions.
TT keeps adding annoying popups to the site, which we keep removing.
We discovered that TT seems to be using a copy of our content on their servers. They have not asked permission for this.

These events have made clear that we would stop offering Tapatalk once the new site is online.
However, Tapatalk has now announced that they will start emailing our members regularly. There is no reason whatsoever for a mobile app to start emailing members. We did not give Tapatalk permission to make use of any of our member data and will take legal action against Tapatalk if they do anything of such kind.

In light of the above I am now removing Tapatalk from this site. I apologize to those who enjoy the functionality.

I strongly advise anyone to remove Tapatalk from their devices.
From another forum:
Tapatalk support dropped due to privacy & security violations

And from another forum.......

Dear (forum) Community,

We're officially dropping support for Tapatalk for our forum due to recent privacy & security violations by Tapatalk.

The Tapatalk plugin comes with a function that is turned on by default without the consent of the server administrators and a proper option to disable it. This function reads data from the database (such as your e-mail address, name and whatever else is stored in the forum database) and sends this data to the Tapatalk server without our consent!

Tapatalk comments that this is necessary for their "Trending posts, threads and etc... e-mails" to send e-mails to users about trending content. The most shocking however is that it is nowhere stated and explained. They say it's a beta. So Tapatalk has access to the whole forum database without ever asking for consent. Moreover this feature can only be disabled in the plugin configuration file. Who is looking for a option in ACP (Admin Control Panel) of the forum will have bad luck and find absolutely nothing.

This violations are not something we're going to forgive or accept. Therefore we've deactivated and fully uninstalled Tapatalk from our forum and server.

I've not been able to find something about this in English because so far only a German forum has uncovered this spying tool.

Sources:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/T...16662.html
http://www.computerhilfen.de/news/tapata...67130.html
Huh, worth some thought, for certain.