How does a random app know my shopping habits?

DerHof

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Ok, I know that practically everything we do online and on our phones is monitored. But I installed Doodle Jump today on my S8. Free version so ads were popping up. Mostly Amazon ads... with items in my saved for later list. Specific items for a PC I'm about to build. How in the holy F does this app that I literally just installed know what to pull from Amazon specifically for me?

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I know that practically everything we do online and on our phones is monitored. But I installed Doodle Jump today on my S8. Free version so ads were popping up. Mostly Amazon ads... with items in my saved for later list. Specific items for a PC I'm about to build. How in the holy F does this app that I literally just installed know what to pull from Amazon specifically for me?
Crazy, is your Amazon login the same as your Google (Gmail)?

DerHof

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Crazy, is your Amazon login the same as your Google (Gmail)?

Nope, my Amazon login is unique to Amazon alone.
I generally have unique logins for every website.
Games on my phone will generally use my Google login but that's different.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Nope, my Amazon login is unique to Amazon alone.
I generally have unique logins for every website.
Games on my phone will generally use my Google login but that's different.
Then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.....my amazon login is my google id and I've never seen the personalized ads in apps...only in searches.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The simple answer is that when you last used the Amazon app on the phone, you did not log out, thus leaving the Amazon ad system attached to your phone and available to all apps using the Amazon cookies.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Yup... It's good not to use "free" WiFi in shopping centres... You are monitored for the entire stay, what store you go to, where you spend the most time in the store (!!!)...
You stand around electronics area and next thing you get popup ads about TV, microwave etc....

DerHof

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Yup... It's good not to use "free" WiFi in shopping centres... You are monitored for the entire stay, what store you go to, where you spend the most time in the store (!!!)...
You stand around electronics area and next thing you get popup ads about TV, microwave etc....

Never used wifi outside of my home in my life. I have unlimited data...

DerHof

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
The simple answer is that when you last used the Amazon app on the phone, you did not log out, thus leaving the Amazon ad system attached to your phone and available to all apps using the Amazon cookies.

Interesting... I'll keep that in mind. I use the Amazon app often on my phone.

PNvmkpk

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
The way ads in app works is it pulls the scripts from (in this case) amazon.com which already has all your details. This might even work when you logout of the site because amazon.com ties your account to a unique ID generated from your phone and permanently associates it to your Amazon account.