Camera Image stabilization for photos - recommend app?

Waynefb2002

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
Hi folks,
Im looking for an app which helps stabilization/anti-shake for still photos. I don't have a very steady hand so my photos often come out blurry. This is worse on my new phone (Huawei p8 lite 2017) than on my old phone (Samsung galaxy a3 2015) but I can't get a better phone right now so I need to make the best of this one.

I thought that open camera had image stabilization but apparently not.
I don't mind paying (a bit) for an app IF it will definitely help.
I don't want to root my phone, a) coz it will invalidate the warranty and b) coz its beyond my level of expertise...probably.

Any ideas/suggestions?
(Running Android 7 Nougat)
Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Regards
Wayne

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know, image stabilization is a hardware element, not software, so unless the phone already has the hardware for it, no app will give you OIS.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I am pretty sure Chan is right about OIS being a hardware feature.

What you need is a camera app that allows you to pick a faster shutter speed with the camera doing an auto-adjust with the ISO.

If you cannot find a camera app with that feature, you probably need to put your camera app into manual exposure mode and do the exposure settings yourself. Set the shutter speed to a fast enough speed to handle your hand shakes (maybe 1/125) then adjust the ISO to get the desired brightness.

Waynefb2002

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
Thank you for your responses guys.
Hmmm, that makes sense re shutter speed. Any ideas which apps do this auto-adjust ISO shutter speed thing?

My understanding is that Optical Image Stabilization is indeed a hardware thing, as you said, (motors, gyroscopes etc controlling the lense) but there is also a thing called Digital stabilization, which is not as good as OIS, but is achieved using software.
I'm just having trouble identifying which apps provide it.
I suppose I could email all the developers of the various apps available but that is a very long-winded way of finding the info!
I'm sure someone out there has had similar shakiness and needed this solution.
Best wishes
Wayne

Waynefb2002

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
Cool - thanks folks. I noticed that I already purchased zoom FX years ago so I can still use the premium version. It has something they call 'stable shot' - essentially the app just waits until the phone is steady enough to take a clear picture. Might work - I'll give it a try.

I might see if I can find a free online course as well so I can learn the functions of cameras...ISO etc etc. Maybe I need to look beyond my 'point & shoot' limitations!
If anyone can recommend any such courses/tutorials I'd be grateful.

Thanks again everyone - I am very grateful for your time & efforts.