THE NEW SKYPE....a review

thekC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
For people not being able to find in the market: Are you checking under the Verizon tab? I found it there once not being able to use the download page.

G

GenericMessage

To all the people having difficulty downloading it:

Just type "SKYPE" in the search bar in the market, it'll pop up there.

thai6688

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please post some screen shots of the app (like the phone, sms, and chat features)? I have a droid eris 1.5 so I can't see the screen shots in the marketplace. Also, any advantages to stock sms of android?

G

GenericMessage

Can someone please post some screen shots of the app (like the phone, sms, and chat features)? I have a droid eris 1.5 so I can't see the screen shots in the marketplace. Also, any advantages to stock sms of android?

Just download it and try it, can't hurt ya any.

ncc1701p

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Yep its alright but the lack of WiFi just makes me shy away. Personally I am better off w/ SipDroid using my Gizmo phone # which allows for real inbound/outbound. If Google can put that final piece of google voice --> Google Talk then its over :)

G

GenericMessage

Yep its alright but the lack of WiFi just makes me shy away. Personally I am better off w/ SipDroid using my Gizmo phone # which allows for real inbound/outbound. If Google can put that final piece of google voice --> Google Talk then its over :)

Well google is almost done with the intergeneration of gizmo over to google voice.

G

GenericMessage

Yes I know.. im so waiting for this to happen. :D

As am I since I don't have gizmo, but I do have google voice.

And with this pathetic attempt at a skype client that hit, google voice is FAR better than this skype.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm very happy to have domestic skype access again, especially IM. The lack of wifi is a real sore point though as it could have given the droid at least limited functionality outside North America.

When will Verizon ever figure out that some of us actually travel abroad -GASP! -and want to use our smartphones?

Maybe someone will find a way to hack it...

ncc1701p

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
So I gave the Skype a try and i rarely ever used it. My friend called me from his PC and the call quality was friggin perfect. And get this one folks: It worked via Bluetooth. The call came is as "Skype Call" and this generic skype number. Now Im trying to figure out if it uses minutes for incoming calls or if it does it purely via data. Unfortunately I only have one friend who can test this for me. Needs more testing I guess but it seems alright. I need my international friends to skype me up for a better test. To be continued.

G

GenericMessage

So I gave the Skype a try and i rarely ever used it. My friend called me from his PC and the call quality was friggin perfect. And get this one folks: It worked via Bluetooth. The call came is as "Skype Call" and this generic skype number. Now Im trying to figure out if it uses minutes for incoming calls or if it does it purely via data. Unfortunately I only have one friend who can test this for me. Needs more testing I guess but it seems alright. I need my international friends to skype me up for a better test. To be continued.

Does not use minuets.

It will use SKYPE mins for intl calls.