05-05-2010 06:47 PM
78 1234
tools
    To all the people having difficulty downloading it:

Just type "SKYPE" in the search bar in the market, it'll pop up there.
    Doesn't for me.
    03-25-2010 11:14 AM
    Can someone please post some screen shots of the app (like the phone, sms, and chat features)? I have a droid eris 1.5 so I can't see the screen shots in the marketplace. Also, any advantages to stock sms of android?
    Just download it and try it, can't hurt ya any.
    03-25-2010 11:43 AM
    Not available in the Market for my Droid Eris on 2.1. I've cleared cache and rebooted. I searched for SKYPE and browsed the Verizon tab. #Fail
    03-25-2010 11:52 AM
    Yep its alright but the lack of WiFi just makes me shy away. Personally I am better off w/ SipDroid using my Gizmo phone # which allows for real inbound/outbound. If Google can put that final piece of google voice --> Google Talk then its over
    03-25-2010 12:08 PM
    Not available in the Market for my Droid Eris on 2.1. I've cleared cache and rebooted. I searched for SKYPE and browsed the Verizon tab. #Fail
    ditto

10char
    03-25-2010 12:08 PM
    Yep its alright but the lack of WiFi just makes me shy away. Personally I am better off w/ SipDroid using my Gizmo phone # which allows for real inbound/outbound. If Google can put that final piece of google voice --> Google Talk then its over
    Well google is almost done with the intergeneration of gizmo over to google voice.
    03-25-2010 12:17 PM
    Well google is almost done with the intergeneration of gizmo over to google voice.
    Yes I know.. im so waiting for this to happen.
    03-25-2010 12:28 PM
    Yes I know.. im so waiting for this to happen.
    As am I since I don't have gizmo, but I do have google voice.

And with this pathetic attempt at a skype client that hit, google voice is FAR better than this skype.
    03-25-2010 12:30 PM
    I'm very happy to have domestic skype access again, especially IM. The lack of wifi is a real sore point though as it could have given the droid at least limited functionality outside North America.

When will Verizon ever figure out that some of us actually travel abroad -GASP! -and want to use our smartphones?

Maybe someone will find a way to hack it...
    03-25-2010 01:20 PM
    Has anyone with Android 2.1 been able to get Skype?
    03-25-2010 01:23 PM
    Has anyone with Android 2.1 been able to get Skype?
    a couple people in the droid eris forum did but I cant?
    03-25-2010 05:07 PM
    im rooted running smoked glass 6.0 and cannot log in. downloads fine but will not let me sign in.
    03-25-2010 07:44 PM
    im rooted running smoked glass 6.0 and cannot log in. downloads fine but will not let me sign in.
    Seems many rooted folks can't get it.
    03-25-2010 07:45 PM
    So I gave the Skype a try and i rarely ever used it. My friend called me from his PC and the call quality was friggin perfect. And get this one folks: It worked via Bluetooth. The call came is as "Skype Call" and this generic skype number. Now Im trying to figure out if it uses minutes for incoming calls or if it does it purely via data. Unfortunately I only have one friend who can test this for me. Needs more testing I guess but it seems alright. I need my international friends to skype me up for a better test. To be continued.
    03-25-2010 08:11 PM
    So I gave the Skype a try and i rarely ever used it. My friend called me from his PC and the call quality was friggin perfect. And get this one folks: It worked via Bluetooth. The call came is as "Skype Call" and this generic skype number. Now Im trying to figure out if it uses minutes for incoming calls or if it does it purely via data. Unfortunately I only have one friend who can test this for me. Needs more testing I guess but it seems alright. I need my international friends to skype me up for a better test. To be continued.
    Does not use minuets.

It will use SKYPE mins for intl calls.
    03-25-2010 08:15 PM
    Question...... Why does everyone bother with skype?? Why not just get a google voice #? add the friends and family and add the google voice as one of your free #'s, i am on a family share 1400 with 10 free #'s and i have 4 lines all have GV #'s and last month i used 58 of my 1400 minutes but 7000 of my friends and family all free calls!!!!
    03-25-2010 09:13 PM
    not to mention on the Android phones after you set it up it makes all the calls automatically and you dont have any extra dialing or anything! basically unlimited free calling!! on non family share plans you only need a 700 minute plan to add the friends and family numbers.
    03-25-2010 09:17 PM
    I don't have much use for it on my phone, but I do video chat with my daughter every once in a while, and even walked her through iMovie for a project using screen sharing.

If it allowed WiFi use, it would also be great for making calls over WiFi while traveling out of the country (once every year or two for me.) Of course, I can use Fring for that.
    03-25-2010 09:30 PM
    Question...... Why does everyone bother with skype?? Why not just get a google voice #? add the friends and family and add the google voice as one of your free #'s, i am on a family share 1400 with 10 free #'s and i have 4 lines all have GV #'s and last month i used 58 of my 1400 minutes but 7000 of my friends and family all free calls!!!!
    because it doesnt allow for outgoing calls plus you can add your GV # to friends and family but you'll never know who is calling because the call will only be free if the incoming caller ID is your google voice number because that's the number you added. and even with the call screening it's not fool proof. i've tried hard to like Google Voice but I just can't use without outgoing calls plus the voicemail transcript to text is horrible.
    03-25-2010 09:52 PM
    got the .apk from sendspace at Download com.skype.android.verizon.apk from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way. Works perfect on droid eris with 2.1 leak. enjoy
    03-25-2010 10:24 PM
    no wifi no video chat...what is the point of having it on your phone other than to not use your minutes? i have unlimited vzw to vzw calling unlimited friends and fam and you cant use skype for 800 numbers and i dont call internationaly.

any benifits to having skype that my phone cant already do?
    03-26-2010 06:12 AM
    got the .apk from sendspace at Download com.skype.android.verizon.apk from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way. Works perfect on droid eris with 2.1 leak. enjoy
    Has anyone verified this? I'm a little leery of installing an app from an unknown source.
    03-26-2010 08:04 AM
    no wifi no video chat...what is the point of having it on your phone other than to not use your minutes? i have unlimited vzw to vzw calling unlimited friends and fam and you cant use skype for 800 numbers and i dont call internationaly.

any benifits to having skype that my phone cant already do?
    I hear you on this argument. After doing some more testing. Basically Skype is a phone gateway to people on PCs using Skype. If you are Skype calling another droid user who has Skype then its redundant. Thiis is why the Iphone doesnt have this "because it duplicates functionality". But for my international friends who are on a PC its perfect for me to call them wherever I am on the go. It routes a call through the Pots2Voip-like gateways and walla right onto their PCs. So its good for someone who doesnt have a cell phone which is rare in the US. But if I were to go abroad then this app is useless.
    03-26-2010 10:58 AM
    i hope this works like it should
    03-26-2010 01:41 PM
    and you shouldnt have to pay extra to use this. we are already paying for data
    03-26-2010 01:42 PM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD