05-05-2010 06:47 PM
78 1234
tools
    Has anyone verified this? I'm a little leery of installing an app from an unknown source.
    Signed in perfectly, pulled in my contacts, able to send im's, no problems
    03-26-2010 08:04 PM
    Signed in perfectly, pulled in my contacts, able to send im's, no problems
    also, link in on xda developers, same link
    03-26-2010 08:05 PM
    I thought that skype to skype mobile was free calling. I was told that if I go overseas and call someone in the U.S. on their mobile with a skype account it would be free. Am I wrong?

Rochelle
    03-26-2010 09:51 PM
    I have a droid eris running 2.1 and downloaded the gv app. I have no problems making out going calls, i have it set to ask everytime and i usually dial with gv my wife has it as well and when she calls me it shows up on my caller id with her gv number same for my brother and my son. the when an out bound call is made its always done with a 916 # and thats on my free #s as well. i can help set it up for you or answer any questions you have. like i said i make about 7000 minutes worth of calls and my bill shows less than 100
    03-26-2010 09:53 PM
    I thought that skype to skype mobile was free calling. I was told that if I go overseas and call someone in the U.S. on their mobile with a skype account it would be free. Am I wrong?

Rochelle
    If you could receive a signal with your phone over-seas............but you cannot.
    03-27-2010 07:16 AM
    If I have a global data plan, can I then do it?

Rochelle
    03-27-2010 08:32 AM
    If you could receive a signal with your phone over-seas............but you cannot.
    Again....this is why I question what benefits me to use Skype on my phone? Does it use data?
    03-27-2010 09:45 AM
    I hear you on this argument. After doing some more testing. Basically Skype is a phone gateway to people on PCs using Skype. If you are Skype calling another droid user who has Skype then its redundant. Thiis is why the Iphone doesnt have this "because it duplicates functionality". But for my international friends who are on a PC its perfect for me to call them wherever I am on the go. It routes a call through the Pots2Voip-like gateways and walla right onto their PCs. So its good for someone who doesnt have a cell phone which is rare in the US. But if I were to go abroad then this app is useless.
    I see how this can benefit a few people but most people who know they will be outside of the country will be on a gsm network. Anyway to each hid own I guess.
    03-27-2010 09:55 AM

Rochelle
    There are few, if any, overseas cdma networks, which the Droid requires, and this app doesn't work via wifi.
    03-27-2010 10:13 AM
    With this version of Skype, unfortunately, it only works Skype to Skype using Verizon's 3G data network. It doesn't count against Verizon minutes, but cannot use WiFi data.

You could, however, use the app Fring to do WiFi Skype to Skype calling while you are overseas, if you can get a WiFi connection.
    03-27-2010 10:44 AM
    You could, however, use the app Fring to do WiFi Skype to Skype calling while you are overseas, if you can get a WiFi connection.
    Thanks for posting that.
    03-27-2010 01:27 PM
    I would have to use my BB Storm overseas because it is an international phone, and there is no wifi on that phone but I would have an international data plan. Actually I don't think skype mobile works out of the USA. (calling from a verizon mobile phone)

Rochelle
    03-27-2010 10:13 PM

Rochelle
    If you have a Quadband world phone, sure!
    03-27-2010 10:15 PM
    Thanks. Is the storm bb a quadband phone?

Rochelle
    03-28-2010 08:00 AM
    Thanks. Is the storm bb a quadband phone?

Rochelle
    Yes. Both the first and second one
    03-28-2010 08:08 AM
    Yay, would there be a fee to call verizon to verizon skype? I would be in Israel. I was told by Verizon that I would still be charged roaming fees of 69 cents per minute.
    Rochelle
    03-28-2010 09:51 AM
    Yay, would there be a fee to call verizon to verizon skype? I would be in Israel. I was told by Verizon that I would still be charged roaming fees of 69 cents per minute.
    Rochelle
    You'll be charged Verizon's international fee if you're not in the states
    03-28-2010 09:38 PM
    Does anybody know how to get the skype icon to show up in the quick contacts area? It does for one of my contacts, but the other 7 contacts don't work the same way. I've entered their skype usernames into their contacts, and they show up in the full contact view, but not the shortcuts.
    And to make it even more complicated, when I select the skype icon in the quick contact for the one person it works on, it then asks if I want to chat via skype, aim, or google talk, all with their corresponding usernames.
    03-28-2010 10:35 PM
    Thanks for everyone's help. Anyway I look at it, I will pay a bundle for international chatting. vbg
    Rochelle
    03-29-2010 08:00 AM
    I wish this phone would work over wifi - my parents live in a signal hole, and whenever I go visit them I always wish I could have an app to do wifi calling.

Hopefully they might update it.
    03-29-2010 12:50 PM
    I also live in a signal hole, so I use WiFi at home for all networking. Honestly, you'd think that Verizon would actually *want* people to offload their 3G network to their own WiFi. Seriously, go ahead and route the domestic calls through your voice network as you do with 3G - just let it work with WiFi as well!
    03-29-2010 01:04 PM
    Everytime I try to sign into Skype Mobile, it logs into my account for 1 second, then takes me to a page that says, "Sorry, unable to signyou in. Please try again later." This has happened everytime I've tried to log in (Like 10 times a day) ever since the app was released.

I have an account with Skype and use it all day on my computer. I have logged off on my computer and still the same thing happens on my phone. I can't find anyone else having this problem, so I don't know the solution.
    03-29-2010 01:11 PM
    Update to skype in the market. I didn't think anything really changed when I was checking it out, until I realised that I had wifi on the whole time! I don't think skype USES that wifi connection, but at least you can keep it switched on, progress.
    Hooray for public outcries!
    03-30-2010 10:53 AM
    Update to skype in the market. I didn't think anything really changed when I was checking it out, until I realised that I had wifi on the whole time! I don't think skype USES that wifi connection, but at least you can keep it switched on, progress.
    Thanks for the update! This was my biggest beef with the Skype app so far - that I could not start it with WiFi on.
    03-30-2010 11:13 AM
    Thanks for the update! This was my biggest beef with the Skype app so far - that I could not start it with WiFi on.
    Correct, you can now use skype WITH your WIFI enabled.

It still does not USE wifi tho.
    03-30-2010 01:42 PM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD