05-05-2010 06:47 PM
78 ... 234
tools
    hi all

got the eris droid a few weeks ago and loving it - my first smartphone and although i don't have a point of comparison, i'm quite happy with the device.

Q on skype and how calls are directed.

i assumed skype phone calls to non-skype numbers used 3G and not voice plan.

however, when i call my home phone using skype on my droid (dialing # thru skype app), my cell phone number shows up on caller ID- - so it just seems to me that the call is being made thru voice plan, not data.

is this your experience?

thanks in advance...look forward to being an active member!!
    04-12-2010 07:07 PM
    Yes, that is how it works. Verizon has a deal with Skype, and the app works like this:

- calls from Skype to Skype are carried over Verizon's 3G network; they will not use WiFi

- calls from Skype to domestic phone numbers use your Verizon minutes

- calls from Skype to international numbers use 3G and pay Skype international calling rates
    04-12-2010 09:12 PM
    Thank you doogald, that was the clearest explanation and exactly what I was looking for.

I'm still not sure why an incoming skype call on Android shows up as a number and not with the Skype ID of the person calling. Does anyone know why this is the case? Its a little annoying to not know who is calling!!

Yes, that is how it works. Verizon has a deal with Skype, and the app works like this:

- calls from Skype to Skype are carried over Verizon's 3G network; they will not use WiFi

- calls from Skype to domestic phone numbers use your Verizon minutes

- calls from Skype to international numbers use 3G and pay Skype international calling rates
    05-05-2010 06:47 PM
78 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD