THE NEW SKYPE....a review

foskette

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Question...... Why does everyone bother with skype?? Why not just get a google voice #? add the friends and family and add the google voice as one of your free #'s, i am on a family share 1400 with 10 free #'s and i have 4 lines all have GV #'s and last month i used 58 of my 1400 minutes but 7000 of my friends and family all free calls!!!!

foskette

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
not to mention on the Android phones after you set it up it makes all the calls automatically and you dont have any extra dialing or anything! basically unlimited free calling!! on non family share plans you only need a 700 minute plan to add the friends and family numbers.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't have much use for it on my phone, but I do video chat with my daughter every once in a while, and even walked her through iMovie for a project using screen sharing.

If it allowed WiFi use, it would also be great for making calls over WiFi while traveling out of the country (once every year or two for me.) Of course, I can use Fring for that.

hakoreh

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Question...... Why does everyone bother with skype?? Why not just get a google voice #? add the friends and family and add the google voice as one of your free #'s, i am on a family share 1400 with 10 free #'s and i have 4 lines all have GV #'s and last month i used 58 of my 1400 minutes but 7000 of my friends and family all free calls!!!!

because it doesnt allow for outgoing calls plus you can add your GV # to friends and family but you'll never know who is calling because the call will only be free if the incoming caller ID is your google voice number because that's the number you added. and even with the call screening it's not fool proof. i've tried hard to like Google Voice but I just can't use without outgoing calls plus the voicemail transcript to text is horrible.

Blacker.the.berry

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
no wifi no video chat...what is the point of having it on your phone other than to not use your minutes? i have unlimited vzw to vzw calling unlimited friends and fam and you cant use skype for 800 numbers and i dont call internationaly.

any benifits to having skype that my phone cant already do?

ncc1701p

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
no wifi no video chat...what is the point of having it on your phone other than to not use your minutes? i have unlimited vzw to vzw calling unlimited friends and fam and you cant use skype for 800 numbers and i dont call internationaly.

any benifits to having skype that my phone cant already do?

I hear you on this argument. After doing some more testing. Basically Skype is a phone gateway to people on PCs using Skype. If you are Skype calling another droid user who has Skype then its redundant. Thiis is why the Iphone doesnt have this "because it duplicates functionality". But for my international friends who are on a PC its perfect for me to call them wherever I am on the go. It routes a call through the Pots2Voip-like gateways and walla right onto their PCs. So its good for someone who doesnt have a cell phone which is rare in the US. But if I were to go abroad then this app is useless.

beeray

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I thought that skype to skype mobile was free calling. I was told that if I go overseas and call someone in the U.S. on their mobile with a skype account it would be free. Am I wrong?

Rochelle

foskette

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a droid eris running 2.1 and downloaded the gv app. I have no problems making out going calls, i have it set to ask everytime and i usually dial with gv my wife has it as well and when she calls me it shows up on my caller id with her gv number same for my brother and my son. the when an out bound call is made its always done with a 916 # and thats on my free #s as well. i can help set it up for you or answer any questions you have. like i said i make about 7000 minutes worth of calls and my bill shows less than 100

G

GenericMessage

I thought that skype to skype mobile was free calling. I was told that if I go overseas and call someone in the U.S. on their mobile with a skype account it would be free. Am I wrong?

Rochelle

If you could receive a signal with your phone over-seas............but you cannot.

Blacker.the.berry

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I hear you on this argument. After doing some more testing. Basically Skype is a phone gateway to people on PCs using Skype. If you are Skype calling another droid user who has Skype then its redundant. Thiis is why the Iphone doesnt have this "because it duplicates functionality". But for my international friends who are on a PC its perfect for me to call them wherever I am on the go. It routes a call through the Pots2Voip-like gateways and walla right onto their PCs. So its good for someone who doesnt have a cell phone which is rare in the US. But if I were to go abroad then this app is useless.

I see how this can benefit a few people but most people who know they will be outside of the country will be on a gsm network. Anyway to each hid own I guess.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

With this version of Skype, unfortunately, it only works Skype to Skype using Verizon's 3G data network. It doesn't count against Verizon minutes, but cannot use WiFi data.

You could, however, use the app Fring to do WiFi Skype to Skype calling while you are overseas, if you can get a WiFi connection.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci