THE NEW SKYPE....a review

beeray

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I would have to use my BB Storm overseas because it is an international phone, and there is no wifi on that phone but I would have an international data plan. Actually I don't think skype mobile works out of the USA. (calling from a verizon mobile phone)

Rochelle

beeray

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Yay, would there be a fee to call verizon to verizon skype? I would be in Israel. I was told by Verizon that I would still be charged roaming fees of 69 cents per minute.
Rochelle

Last edited:
G

GenericMessage

Yay, would there be a fee to call verizon to verizon skype? I would be in Israel. I was told by Verizon that I would still be charged roaming fees of 69 cents per minute.
Rochelle

You'll be charged Verizon's international fee if you're not in the states

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Does anybody know how to get the skype icon to show up in the quick contacts area? It does for one of my contacts, but the other 7 contacts don't work the same way. I've entered their skype usernames into their contacts, and they show up in the full contact view, but not the shortcuts.
And to make it even more complicated, when I select the skype icon in the quick contact for the one person it works on, it then asks if I want to chat via skype, aim, or google talk, all with their corresponding usernames.

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I wish this phone would work over wifi - my parents live in a signal hole, and whenever I go visit them I always wish I could have an app to do wifi calling.

Hopefully they might update it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I also live in a signal hole, so I use WiFi at home for all networking. Honestly, you'd think that Verizon would actually *want* people to offload their 3G network to their own WiFi. Seriously, go ahead and route the domestic calls through your voice network as you do with 3G - just let it work with WiFi as well!

Tytanious

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Everytime I try to sign into Skype Mobile, it logs into my account for 1 second, then takes me to a page that says, "Sorry, unable to signyou in. Please try again later." This has happened everytime I've tried to log in (Like 10 times a day) ever since the app was released.

I have an account with Skype and use it all day on my computer. I have logged off on my computer and still the same thing happens on my phone. I can't find anyone else having this problem, so I don't know the solution.

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Update to skype in the market. I didn't think anything really changed when I was checking it out, until I realised that I had wifi on the whole time! I don't think skype USES that wifi connection, but at least you can keep it switched on, progress.
Hooray for public outcries!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Update to skype in the market. I didn't think anything really changed when I was checking it out, until I realised that I had wifi on the whole time! I don't think skype USES that wifi connection, but at least you can keep it switched on, progress.

Thanks for the update! This was my biggest beef with the Skype app so far - that I could not start it with WiFi on.

G

GenericMessage

Thanks for the update! This was my biggest beef with the Skype app so far - that I could not start it with WiFi on.

Correct, you can now use skype WITH your WIFI enabled.

It still does not USE wifi tho.

droidsquire

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
skype over 3G then?

hi all

got the eris droid a few weeks ago and loving it - my first smartphone and although i don't have a point of comparison, i'm quite happy with the device.

Q on skype and how calls are directed.

i assumed skype phone calls to non-skype numbers used 3G and not voice plan.

however, when i call my home phone using skype on my droid (dialing # thru skype app), my cell phone number shows up on caller ID- - so it just seems to me that the call is being made thru voice plan, not data.

is this your experience?

thanks in advance...look forward to being an active member!!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that is how it works. Verizon has a deal with Skype, and the app works like this:

- calls from Skype to Skype are carried over Verizon's 3G network; they will not use WiFi

- calls from Skype to domestic phone numbers use your Verizon minutes

- calls from Skype to international numbers use 3G and pay Skype international calling rates

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you doogald, that was the clearest explanation and exactly what I was looking for.

I'm still not sure why an incoming skype call on Android shows up as a number and not with the Skype ID of the person calling. Does anyone know why this is the case? Its a little annoying to not know who is calling!!

Yes, that is how it works. Verizon has a deal with Skype, and the app works like this:

- calls from Skype to Skype are carried over Verizon's 3G network; they will not use WiFi

- calls from Skype to domestic phone numbers use your Verizon minutes

- calls from Skype to international numbers use 3G and pay Skype international calling rates

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma