Ok, Im sorry for sounding naive here, but Google Chrome is a great PC based browser, and Android is Google's "google phone", yet chrome is not available for the Droid??? Does this seem rather ironic to anyone other then me? I mean really, one would think that chrome would be the default browser on the droid but it's not and not even an available browser? Am I missing something? I did see something that said it was coming but when? This topic is up for discussion... Thoughts??
    05-26-2011 03:52 AM
    Not really much to discuss.

Androids stock browser is just as good, and with the Chrome extension Chrome to Phone which sends links and maps to your phone is great.

I don't see whats the point in arguing.

Are you trying to argue why Androids stock browser isn't named Chrome? or that Chrome should be the Stock Browser?
    05-26-2011 04:12 AM
    This thread was not meant to be an argument or to be argued. I am merely trying to understand why if the phone is a Google phone why chrome would not be it's stock browser. I saw the extensions but I wasn't really sure if they would work for strictly the default browser or for any browser (I'm currently using Dolphin HD) however I like chrome and the chrome plugins (is that what we are calling extensions? Believe me I'm not trying to have an argument about anything. I just found it odd that's all. No harm intended.
    05-26-2011 05:37 AM
    I've actually found this to be funny, too. If it's basically Chrome, then why not market it as 'Chrome included' - with the popularity of Chrome growing, it's another feather in the Android cap, if you ask me.
    05-26-2011 07:30 AM
    I've read an article with Google saying chrome would come to android when the time is right. Sounds like it will be way down the line if it is done.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk.
    05-26-2011 07:37 AM
    Ok, Im sorry for sounding naive here, but Google Chrome is a great PC based browser, and Android is Google's "google phone", yet chrome is not available for the Droid???
    Why do you think Android needs Chrome? What specific features are you looking for?

I mean really, one would think that chrome would be the default browser on the droid but it's not and not even an available browser?
    Not if one keeps up with current events. Google's gettting Chrome to be its own OS basically. Have you not heard about the Chrome notebooks (CR-48) being beta tested and the newer Chrome laptops that were recently announced? Chrome hasn't been ported to mobile devices. Google has talked about possibly merging Chrome and Android at some point down the road.

This thread was not meant to be an argument or to be argued. I am merely trying to understand why if the phone is a Google phone why chrome would not be it's stock browser
    There have always been Google apps and services that weren't offered on Android right off the bat. Take Google Docs as one example. It's only recently that we've received the app and even it has drawn a lot of criticism. Don't simply assume that a Google app/service will automatically be available on Android just because of the Google name.
    05-26-2011 07:46 AM
    This thread was not meant to be an argument or to be argued. I am merely trying to understand why if the phone is a Google phone why chrome would not be it's stock browser. I saw the extensions but I wasn't really sure if they would work for strictly the default browser or for any browser (I'm currently using Dolphin HD) however I like chrome and the chrome plugins (is that what we are calling extensions? Believe me I'm not trying to have an argument about anything. I just found it odd that's all. No harm intended.
    Don't know why people are so afraid of offending others. Relax, your argument is valid.

One would think that Google would release a version of Chrome that it's pushing very aggressively into the market with browsers on the major computing platforms and with their Chromebooks. It would only be a natural extension of the platform if they were to also release Chrome on their Android phones and tablets.

Or they could just be drumming up the demand by withholding Chrome from Android until the masses are chomping at the bit to have it. We've certainly seen that move before by Apple.
    enduser2941 likes this.
    05-26-2011 08:10 AM
    Too me it's as simple as this. The long term vision is not the same for Chrome as it is for Android as a whole. They are two markets. So to have a Chrome browser inside of Android would be confusing branding to the average Joe consumer (not the people in these forums).
    05-26-2011 12:21 PM
    Lol. So if chrome is Google. And Android is Google. And Google makes both. And the browser in Android is made by Google. Who cares what its called. Lol.
    enduser2941 likes this.
    05-26-2011 12:27 PM
    Lol. So if chrome is Google. And Android is Google. And Google makes both. And the browser in Android is made by Google. Who cares what its called. Lol.
    Someone mind telling that to Netscape?

Chrome is a very promising browser, and I say it's only a matter of time before Google finds the critical mass it needs to make the announcement. In other words, they're waiting for us to foam at the mouth with anticipation before releasing the software.

I'll bet my next paycheck they already have it in development for Android.
    enduser2941 likes this.
    05-26-2011 03:43 PM
    Someone mind telling that to Netscape?

Chrome is a very promising browser, and I say it's only a matter of time before Google finds the critical mass it needs to make the announcement. In other words, they're waiting for us to foam at the mouth with anticipation before releasing the software.

I'll bet my next paycheck they already have it in development for Android.
    Netscape. Muahaha.

Chrome to phone is amazing. Lol. Which is amazing taking intact that you could just email the link to yourself. The one less step just makes it amazing.

I do get lag on some sites with this browser though. An update would be nice at least. Lol.
    05-26-2011 05:06 PM
    If you followed some of the AC coverage of Google IO, it became readily apparent that the Android team and the Chrome Team are quite competitive. If I recall, the chrome team was quite adamant that the Browser in Android is NOT Chrome and not associated with the Chrome developers.
    enduser2941 likes this.
    05-26-2011 05:16 PM
    Well I have certainly learned alot from this thread, thanks guys for all replying. As to why I felt the need to note that I was not arguing has nothing to do with me being afraid to speak my mind or anything. It was purely to express that this thread was not meant to be an argument in either direction. I was looking to learn more about why Chrome is not the default browser and you all helped me to understand that. I am also not one to spark conflict especially on a forum that I am new to, not to mention new to this platform and I have alot to learn. This was very helpful in doing just that.

As for the other question as to why I would want Chrome on my Droid in the first place, what features am I looking for, well that really wasn't the point of my question. Why would I want it? Well that's just personal preference, I like Chrome, but that doesn't mean I am not completely satisfied with what I am currently using which is Dolphin HD. I happen to like the Dolphin browser and it does everything I need and more such as Gestures which I'm sure is available in other browsers as well.

So I thank you all for your replies it was very informative. If anyone has anything additional to add please feel free to reply!

Thanks Guys~
    05-26-2011 08:25 PM
    I am also not one to spark conflict especially on a forum that I am new to...
    I'm an umpire, so sparking conflict doesn't phase me in the least.
    05-27-2011 08:04 AM
    Chrome browser is a browser
    Chrome OS is an OS

dont get the 2 confused

The two will stay seperate, there are no plans to merge them. (of course chrome os has chrome browser but chrome browser will never require chrome os)

(referring to early post)
    05-27-2011 01:16 PM