Hi, I was just wondering, I live in a rented house were people have both Chromecasts and android boxes and one of the guys uses a paid IPTV service without a VPN
    , it's my internet. Now I don't use these. My question is with all the crackdowns that are going on now is my internet at risk? Can the provider tell what device is watching the IPTV and where in the house it's coming from?
    05-30-2018 02:54 PM
    It doesn't matter - your internet service is for your household, which would include everyone living there. Most VPNs wouldn't stop the provider from knowing what service you're using anyway. If you want to keep the other people in the house from hacking into your phone, yes - get a good VPN with end-to-end encryption, including DNS encryption. Otherwise don't bother.

(Chromecast just sends what's on a phone or tablet to the TV, it has nothing to do with the provider. Android boxes are TV boxes - again, nothing to do with the provider. [They supply the internet connection, but unless it's being used for something illegal, they don't care what it's being used for.] IPTV is the same thing, so is VoIP - as long as no one is stealing the service [like getting paid IPTV without paying], the provider doesn't care.)
    Laura Knotek and Nipiskase like this.
    05-30-2018 03:21 PM
    Rukbat pretty much answered your question. Unless you use a VPN, your ISP sees activity from your IP and I mean all activity: streaming, browsing, torrenting etc. If you decide to go for a VPN I could recommend NordVPN or ProtonVPN: both are really secure.
    05-31-2018 06:00 AM