Keep Google Maps Open?

JC8865

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Is there a way to keep Google Maps open while driving? My screen always times out as I have it set for 30 sec but I don't see a setting in maps to override that.

JC

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
That feature is on a per app basis. The app itself must be designed to be able to do that. Your options now would be:

1. Download an app that does that for you. For example, Tasker, IFTT, Llama, etc have settings that have them run on background monitoring what app you have on your screen. I have set Tasker to change my timeout to "never" when I run some apps, then back to 30 seconds when I exit those apps.

2. Use a different app with the feature you want, like Waze. Google owns both Waze and Maps anyway.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to keep Google Maps open while driving? My screen always times out as I have it set for 30 sec but I don't see a setting in maps to override that.

JC

Are you actively using navigation?

JC8865

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
I use it on the bike alot and hate to have keep waking the screen up. I'll try Waze and see how that it. A bit idiotic that Google Maps doesn't have an actual option to keep the screen on seeing as how it's supposed to be a navigation tool.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I use it on the bike alot and hate to have keep waking the screen up. I'll try Waze and see how that it. A bit idiotic that Google Maps doesn't have an actual option to keep the screen on seeing as how it's supposed to be a navigation tool.

I forgot to ask if you had it set to navigate or just have it open. It might be a reason. I seem to remember it can keep itself open if it's set to navigate.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Are you actively using Navigation?

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

What phone is this on? Are you running Oreo? Are you using Google Maps to navigate? Is there a setting to select bike vs vehicle? Maybe you're not moving fast enough with the bike if it's in vehicle mode.

I'm using an S7 on Nougat and if I use GMaps to navigate, my lock screen never engages.

JC8865

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
What phone is this on? Are you running Oreo? Are you using Google Maps to navigate? Is there a setting to select bike vs vehicle? Maybe you're not moving fast enough with the bike if it's in vehicle mode.

I'm using an S7 on Nougat and if I use GMaps to navigate, my lock screen never engages.
Using an S8+ using Oreo and it's mounted to my motorcycle so having the map open all the time is crucial. I have it plugged in while on the bike too. Not using the turn by turn option.

JC

JeepPhotoGuy

Dec 18, 2018
Visit site
Yes. There is a way to keep maps on without timing out even if you are not using it as a "turn by turn" or in a navigational way.
To be able to keep Google Maps on (just to have on or to just see where you are) simply open up the app, in the "Search for directions" bar on the left hand side there are three lines (on the right is the microphone); tap on it. You should see "Start driving" in between "Location sharing" and "Wi-Fi only." Tap on "Start driving" and the map will stay on while driving without timing out and without having to having to map out a course, letting you constantly see where you are and where you go like the navigational systems in vehicles.
Map 1.jpg
Map 2.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown